Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,400,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I'm a cashier and literally greet every single customer with "Hello, how are you?". So when I read the thread title, I was worried that other people shared the same annoyance with the phrase.
I find it engaging and polite. I think the OP is in the definite minority.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 AM

977 posts, read 1,816,716 times
Quote:
I'm a cashier and literally greet every single customer with "Hello, how are you?". So when I read the thread title, I was worried that other people shared the same annoyance with the phrase.
I get annoyed with this. A simple "Hi" is ok with me. When I get the "hello, how are you?", I ignore the cashier. I know that's kind of a douche move, but then again, it's an understandable reaction to a phony query IMO.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 AM

861 posts, read 1,251,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And what if I'm not fine? What if my father has just past away? What if I just lost my job? What if my wife has had a miscarriage should I respond with I'm fine then? It's funny how everyone is jumping on the OP about this. Let's be honest folks, when most of you ask this question to someone you hardly know, you could give a crap about how they actually feel. There are better pleasantries out there "Hi", "hello", "good morning Tim", "Good afternoon Jason".
We can slice and dice the semantics of it, but the fact remains it's a social pleasantry. But if you want to change society, be my guest. You've got your work cut out for you. But for my time and effort, I'd choose a better subject. This is inane.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 AM

29 posts, read 46,396 times
Quote:
It is a robotic comment that is not sincere because if you answer the question honestly the cashier will not respond with any interest at all. He or she has absolutely no interest at all how I am. It is a joke greeting.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,400,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Resources Expert View Post
It is a robotic comment that is not sincere because if you answer the question honestly the cashier will not respond with any interest at all. He or she has absolutely no interest at all how I am. It is a joke greeting.
What are you getting out of all this loathing and irritation? Does it make your life better?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,524,018 times
Some people will find an isnult in a bouquet of roses. Come on guys get a grip!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,702,019 times
I rather people not say anything at all to me. I suck it up and say "Ok" and be done with it. I hate doing it though.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,212,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
We can slice and dice the semantics of it, but the fact remains it's a social pleasantry. But if you want to change society, be my guest. You've got your work cut out for you. But for my time and effort, I'd choose a better subject. This is inane.
It really is. I mean anyone who really chafes at such a greeting or parses its meaning really has big problems.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM

48,571 posts, read 34,949,541 times
I answer honestly, even if was a crap-tabulous day.

But I always turn it into a joke so they don't feel obligated to ask what's wrong.

"How are you?" "WORST day ever! But you got to have them once in awhile to appreciate the rest!" Then they laugh, then I laugh.... and the day is a bit brighter, for both of us.

I mean how can this bother you though? Out of all the things wrong in the world THIS is what bothers you? Common courtesy?

Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM

802 posts, read 1,684,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Resources Expert View Post
Yeah and I acknowledge that it's a robotic comment. Being a cashier is a mundane job filled with unnecessary stress so caring about the customer's inner psyche is not on the top of my worry list. The greeting is a simple pleasantry and I get ignored by customers half the time anyway. Also, for the record, if someone engaged directly with me in response to the question, I would not ignore them (and they usually say "how are you" back).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships