Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:43 PM

821 posts, read 1,863,288 times

Advertisements

Footnote: don't those train cars have little boxes whereby the train operator could have been told they need a cop at the next stop or two to deal with an abusive situation?

I imagine the elderly person was a bit scared by this situation unless the elderly type was a Vietnam Combat Vet who has been shot, shot at, and I guarantee he would not have taken any crap or disrespect. I suspect the ones dishing out the disrespect are the first ones to get their hair on fire when someone "dises" them. Respect. Yeah, right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 PM

48,714 posts, read 35,236,693 times
Adults have been saying this about kids since Aristotle.....

Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 PM

6,483 posts, read 6,231,354 times
Yeah, yeah, whatever, roll eyes. Teenagers are developmentally immature, they are going to make mistakes. Plus we don't know if the old lady was being an authoritarian and instigated it. There's insufficient information to go on here.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,741,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
It gets down to how a kid is raised. The vast majority are respectful and courteous.

A simple telephone call by you, the witness or observer, to the police to report and elderly person was being harassed or bullied by a group of kids (teens?) and the police would have gotten on at the next stop or two and the kids might have been thrown off the train. Get involved and don't just observe when you see something wrong.
Exactly. The OP stood around for 20 minutes and watched this and did nothing?

That's part of a disturbing trend these days, people stand around watch or they film it on their phone but they don't do anything to stop the situation going on.

And I don't buy that they're scared, if you can stand around and watch for 20 minutes, you can take some action.

Last edited by seain dublin; 06-25-2012 at 10:57 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 09:20 AM

36,926 posts, read 31,192,543 times
The government has taken away the ability of authority figures to effectively discipline kids. I live in an area where the majority of children are respectful and know how to conduct themselves, they even say please and thank you, open doors, give up their seats, call people sir and ma am, etc. There will always be those who are not taught by their parents. Manners are no longer taught or enforced in schools and often at home. Teachers and administrators are powerless to do so.
For all you unruly kids on the bus, in my day if that behavior started, the bus driver would pull over, jerk your butt off the bus, give you a very forceful, intimidating lecture, then talk to your parents. If it happened again you would get a paddling by the principal and you would no longer be welcome to ride the bus. If we got in trouble at school, we got it double at home. If we sassed an elder, we would have our jaws popped immediately. Try slapping a kid in public these days.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 AM

224 posts, read 830,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Teachers and administrators are powerless to do so.
For all you unruly kids on the bus, in my day if that behavior started, the bus driver would pull over, jerk your butt off the bus, give you a very forceful, intimidating lecture, then talk to your parents. If it happened again you would get a paddling by the principal and you would no longer be welcome to ride the bus. If we got in trouble at school, we got it double at home. If we sassed an elder, we would have our jaws popped immediately. Try slapping a kid in public these days.

Alot of the problem among both teachers and parents is they are too darn busy text messaging or chatting on their phone to fulfill their responsibilities to the kids. I see it all the time.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
Alot of the problem among both teachers and parents is they are too darn busy text messaging or chatting on their phone to fulfill their responsibilities to the kids. I see it all the time.
Personally, I detest the new pluged in everyone on their cell 24/7. I think its a bad thing. I couldnt say if teachers are texting instead of teaching. I know here cell phones are not allowed during school hours.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 AM

29,806 posts, read 34,646,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The government has taken away the ability of authority figures to effectively discipline kids. I live in an area where the majority of children are respectful and know how to conduct themselves, they even say please and thank you, open doors, give up their seats, call people sir and ma am, etc. There will always be those who are not taught by their parents. Manners are no longer taught or enforced in schools and often at home. Teachers and administrators are powerless to do so.
I don't know that it's the government that's taken away the ability to discipline as much as the parenting culture has changed. If a bus driver or a principal even threatened to touch a child today, the parents will sue the school district. To appease parents who do not believe that their little angels could ever do anything wrong, the administration rolls over. Besides, physical violence and fear are not the way to discipline children. I don't have kids, but I think paddling is abuse and solves nothing.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know that it's the government that's taken away the ability to discipline as much as the parenting culture has changed. If a bus driver or a principal even threatened to touch a child today, the parents will sue the school district. To appease parents who do not believe that their little angels could ever do anything wrong, the administration rolls over. Besides, physical violence and fear are not the way to discipline children. I don't have kids, but I think paddling is abuse and solves nothing.
Perhaps the parenting culture has changed because the government punishes parents who discipline their children. Everyone has their own parenting way and every child is different. I know that fear of physical punishment has worked in the past and still works today. Done correctly it reinforces respect. You have your own opinions but I dont take much stock in advice that starts Im not a parent, but.... , or Im not a mechanic, but........or Im not a doctor, but.......

I witnessed an "conversation" between a teen girl and her mother in the parking lot. The teen was yelling a berating her mom and demanding $$ so she could eat out with her friends. The mother just took it and handed over some $. The girl apparently had no respect for her mother. I wanted sooo bad to walk over and slap that girl on both sides of her face, but I would have been arrested. I would never have spoken to my mom like that, ever.

I know from the parenting forum that a lot of people dont agree with "spanking". I work with several animals and must establish a dominance and control over them for my own safety and that of others. Taking my cue from observing the species, swift physical action when challanged along with demonstrative self assurance and consistancy is what works. If you start with some discipline even if it takes as swat and occasional physical reinforcement you gain respect and it wont come to needing to beat the dog poo out of rude, unruly teens.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,365,662 times
I highly doubt that teens are more disrespectful towards elders today.

I do believe though that in the old days, elderly people could be rude as hell to younger people and get no repercussions for it. That doesn't fly so much these days. If an elderly person was rude to me, I would be rude right back. In the distant past the elderly were revered because it was unlikely that one made to old age. They were rare. Old people are a dime a dozen these days and deserve no different respect than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships