Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,498,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I disagree that it's a cheap shot. If one is going to throw stones, one should check the status of one's own glass house. In no way, shape, or form am I about to feel badly about pointing out the grammatical inadequacies of someone who just stated that it's perfectly acceptable to behave in a prejudiced and discriminatory manner when coming into contact with people with developmental disabiltiies. Sorry.
I didn't say to feel badly. I just mean that being good at grammar and having something valuable to contribute do not go hand in hand. Grammatical skills are only one incredibly thin slice of a person's overall intelligence.

Like I said, I don't think it's fair to discriminate against people with any kind of disability. I have multiple disabilities and have personally faced discrimination based on all of them, so I have really felt that sting. I just think that attacking crisan's grammar deflects from the real point of the discussion.

In fact, nitpicking at grammar could be a way to discriminate against someone who has a disability that makes it hard for them to grasp grammar. Some people have had trauma to the head that has given them mild dysphasia, which could manifest itself as grammatical errors. A lot of dyslexic people make typos, so in being a grammar perfectionist, you yourself could be discriminating against someone with a disability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,203,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I think there is a semantic gap at play. For some people "prejudice" and "discrimination" imply that a judgment is unfair because it's based on immutable and irrelevant traits, and more often than not, stereotypes, which are in and of themselves often exaggerated and inaccurate. For other people, "prejudice" and "discrimination" just refer to the series of judgment calls we have to make throughout the day, including those that are based on choices and the true substance and character of a person.

My take is: is it fair to discriminate against a particular autistic individual because you've directly observed their behavior and they don't have the social skills it takes to do the job? Yes. Is it fair to chuck an otherwise qualified person's résumé in the trash because you heard that they're autistic and you "know that autistic people can never socialize"? No. Some autistic people do develop social skills to the point that they can fly under the radar as neurotypical, because of conditioning.

For example, my parents really emphasized interpersonal skills, so I've had the chance to develop my social skills more than someone with my level of autistic behavior who was raised by bookish parents. The difference between me and the NT people I know is that for them socializing is intuitive. For me, I still have to function by a set of mental algorithms to achieve the same result. I have another friend who's also on the autism spectrum, and his parents are military and so he's even more socially graceful than many NT people I know who weren't raised military, because of his strong conditioning.

As long as people are assessed on an individual basis, based on their words, actions, achievements, and personalities, then there's nothing wrong with discrimination. It's when we discriminate according to baseless generalizations and don't give people a fair chance that discrimination becomes negative.
What a very thoughtful post and, yes, this is what I was referring to. Do you agree that you can discriminate against people who use stereotypes, who discriminate according to baseless generalizations and they are not given a fair chance to show what they are good at?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:08 PM

10,448 posts, read 12,498,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
What a very thoughtful post and, yes, this is what I was referring to. Do you agree that you can discriminate against people who use stereotypes, who discriminate according to baseless generalizations and they are not given a fair chance to show what they are good at?
It would depend on the scenario. Is it my grandmother and I’m going to Easter Sunday dinner with her? No, I wouldn’t. I’d still go to the dinner. Am I hiring this person to be an integral part of my business? Yes, I would. I wouldn’t want them to turn away customers just because of their appearance, for example. Life isn’t black and white. There are many shades of gray, many different scenarios, and it’s up to each person to do what they feel is right.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 AM

864 posts, read 1,460,603 times
Why should you be accomodating to someone with Autism? It's called COMPASSION. It's an excellent trait to have, and FAR too many people in this world are SERIOUSLY lacking compassion.

I am very comfortable around people with Autism, or any other type of developmental disability. My younger brother (and only sibling) has Autism (and it's NOT high functioning). He is the most sensitive, caring, loving, honest person I know. For those of you who are prejudiced against those with developmental disabilities...what a shame. You are really missing out on getting to know some amazing people. I am truly humbled by my brother. He is without a doubt my hero.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:00 PM

841 posts, read 1,921,925 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
All 3 of my sons have Asperger's, which is a high functioning form of Autisim. My sons are so loving and so accepting. I think I am a better person myself because of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships