Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:55 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,952 times

Advertisements

I just found out yesterday that my only sibling will be homeless in a week. My parents have refused to let him move in with them. He lives 500 miles away from me, has a drug problem, no job and an arrest record. I have not seen or spoken to him in about 5 years.

I truely do not know what to do, if anything. I love him, but can't have him around my children because of his problems. I can't afford to send him the $400 plus a month he needs to live. He would probably just spend it on drugs anyway.

Have any of you ever been in this situation? I am heartbroken and scared for him. I am also racked with guilt although I don't know what I can do to help him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,678,219 times
sometimes the best help you can give is no help

Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 PM

380 posts, read 796,141 times
Been through a lot of the same things with my brother. Drug use, arrests, hes currently in jail and will be there for several months. I just block it out. I dont feel guilty because of what he's put me and my family through (stolen personal items and money). I will welcome him back into my life once he becomes my brother again. Until then I have to let things run there course or else he'll never get better-if people around him continue to enable his behavior.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:15 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times
That's really a tough situation to be in. Is there any possibility you could just talk to him in order to reconnect with him and at least just express your support for him even if you can't do anything else? I can understand why you'd feel a certain amount of guilt but he's obviously made some very bad choices and that isn't your fault. The unfortunate reality is that he's going to have to make a decision on his own to improve his circumstances and all you can do is hope that he is able to do so.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:18 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,048,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
I just found out yesterday that my only sibling will be homeless in a week. My parents have refused to let him move in with them. He lives 500 miles away from me, has a drug problem, no job and an arrest record. I have not seen or spoken to him in about 5 years.

I truely do not know what to do, if anything. I love him, but can't have him around my children because of his problems. I can't afford to send him the $400 plus a month he needs to live. He would probably just spend it on drugs anyway.

Have any of you ever been in this situation? I am heartbroken and scared for him. I am also racked with guilt although I don't know what I can do to help him.
I was briefly homeless when I was 18. It wasn't that bad..

If I was in your shoes, I would not offer my help (depending on the drug actually). I don't envy you for having to make that tough decision though

Old 02-25-2011, 02:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,681,875 times
Becoming homeless may be the very thing which inspires him to get his act together; sending him money will allow him to keep up his life of being a loser.

Were I you, I would offer to buy him a bus ticket to a drug rehab facility, and nothing more.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,482,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Were I you, I would offer to buy him a bus ticket to a drug rehab facility, and nothing more.
Thats not a bad idea...he needs to take responsibility for his actions.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:01 PM

24 posts, read 39,752 times
Quote:
Becoming homeless may be the very thing which inspires him to get his act together; sending him money will allow him to keep up his life of being a loser.

Having a drug addiction does not make him a loser. He's an addict and maybe has some mental illness going on as well. I'm sure he's not using drugs because he loves himself and is a happy camper.

It's nice that his brother is so concerned yet backed in a corner, he can't jeaopardize his own family and well being. I wish both of them luck.

Kindness, I’ve discovered, is everything in life. -Isaac Bashevis Singer

Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,681,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinelady View Post
Having a drug addiction does not make him a loser. He's an addict and maybe has some mental illness going on as well. I'm sure he's not using drugs because he loves himself and is a happy camper.

It's nice that his brother is so concerned yet backed in a corner, he can't jeaopardize his own family and well being. I wish both of them luck.

Kindness, I’ve discovered, is everything in life. -Isaac Bashevis Singer
No, he's a loser. Having an arrest record = loser. Grown man who can't support himeslf = loser. Yes, it is harsh but it is true. It doesn't mean he is doomed to be a loser forever, and I 100% believe anyone can turn his/her life around. But he's a loser.... definitely isn't a winner!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:48 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,818,548 times
Quote:

I think this is the way to go. "Tough love". If you help him out, you'll be enabling him. Some kind of family intervention to get him to rehab might shake him up a bit. Maybe the family can pool together some of the funds for rehab, with the condition that if he leaves early or outright refuses to go, there will be no further offers to help or any contact?

(Or I've been watching too much "Intervention" on A&E)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships