Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:44 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,660,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Changed names and came back as those other two names I posted. He might be somebody else now, or else he's just left the building.

Got it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Would you show up at a friends door step without calling ahead? Is it a regional thing?
NO. No way.

I am not 18 or 22 years old any more.

For grownups, IMO, it's just rude and thoughtless.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
NO. No way.

I agree it is rude and thoughtless. IMO

Old 03-25-2009, 04:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I personally would never drop in unnanounced on anyone , I was brought to think it was extremely rude and thoughtless. I would worry someone was having a bad day, not dressed, working, in the bath, having a bit of a "love in" with their other halfs etc...

As a control freak I also prefer if people give me at least an hour's notice so I can be sure everything is perfectly neat and tidy and I feel presentable the way I want. I do not want to feel I "have to" be sociable when I don't feel like it or do not feel up to it.

Mind you on the other hand when people ring the bell and I don't want to answer I just ignore it.

I think it is common courtesy to give someone a chance to get themselves in order or let you know they don't feel like company.

Someone's home is their private retreat and I feel privacy is very important.
It does not take long to ring someone and ask them whether they feel like company.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:18 AM

Mooseketeer, I agree with you, although I am not a control freak, and I dont think that makes you one either. Our homes are suppose to be our comfort zone. Now I'm not talking about the friend that comes over and is so close to you they get in the fridge or pour their own coffee.. not that one.. but the ones that only drop in on you unannounced. You know the ones. I have always opened my door and been social, but here, in this forum, I can say I don't like it!! lol

Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
It doesn't matter the age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
NO. No way.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:50 PM

I know Sunday, the last time I had unannounced guests, they caught my husband on the couch, with a blanket and pillow, in his jammies, all fixed in to watch his race. Not the way you'd want to intertain someone.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
I know Sunday, the last time I had unannounced guests, they caught my husband on the couch, with a blanket and pillow, in his jammies, all fixed in to watch his race. Not the way you'd want to intertain someone.
Several months ago we were both blobbed out in the livingroom in our robes, not sick but extremely tired. The phone rang and we let the answering machine come on. It was his sisters from the other side of the state, parked on our driveway, and they asked us to wave from the window if we were home. I was shocked when he told me to NOT wave. So I didn't, and after a minute or two they pulled out and left. They have kids who live here, which is probably why they were in town. But I think my husband gets more annoyed at this problem than he lets on.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Several months ago we were both blobbed out in the livingroom in our robes, not sick but extremely tired. The phone rang and we let the answering machine come on. It was his sisters from the other side of the state, parked on our driveway, and they asked us to wave from the window if we were home. I was shocked when he told me to NOT wave. So I didn't, and after a minute or two they pulled out and left. They have kids who live here, which is probably why they were in town. But I think my husband gets more annoyed at this problem than he lets on.

That told you a lot by him telling you NOT to wave. At least they called from the driveway.. Mine gets worse. We got hit with IKE and are living in a Fema trailer, so now I got 3 visitors A MONTH to come around, with no warning to come check in my tolet, fridge and even the microwave! I am suppose to like this I guess!~ Ug!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
I can't even imagine why anyone would be upset about family or friends (very close friends, anyway) showing up unexpectedly, unless it were to stay a few days, then I'd definitely want notice to make room, make sure I had enough food for everyone, etc.

On the other hand, I like to give others notice. That's just me. I know that a lot of people don't like uninvited or unannounced company nowadays and I don't want to embarrass anyone or be made to feel awkward for not asking first. People just don't seem to be as friendly and welcoming as they used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships