Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM

114 posts, read 360,345 times

Advertisements

A lot of good info in this thread.

In my experience, people often credit a car with doing well on snow and ice, when the #1 factor is the tires. Good winter tires can make the great majority of recent cars behave well on snow and ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 05:30 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,116,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
A lot of good info in this thread.

In my experience, people often credit a car with doing well on snow and ice, when the #1 factor is the tires. Good winter tires can make the great majority of recent cars behave well on snow and ice.
Yep. An AWD will slide just the same distance as a 2WD car with the brakes locked up on the same tires.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,908,517 times
- elderly do not drive tall vehicles because of the difficulty getting in and out.
- visibility is a nice advantage - I've been driving SUVs since I was 16, but I drive my wife's sedan sometimes - hate it.
- AWD (and FWD isn't all that much worse) only help you accelerate, and keep control during a turn, not brake, so you still need to be careful
- all seasons are fine if you only get snow < 5 times a year. Look for mud & snow designation too. Beats having to store an extra set of tires and have to get them changed twice a year. Summer rubber is pointless unless you track the car.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 AM

8,703 posts, read 11,105,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
4 WD is useless when it comes to stability on ice.

What matter are the following, in no particular order:

1. Winter tires.
2. Driver skill and cautious driving
3. A low profile, heavy vehicle.

I have a Nissan Altima 2008 3.5 SE that handles very well on ice IF winter tires are installed.
+1

that is true.

I drove RWD M3 manual with snow tires....zip by with no issues.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:34 PM

732 posts, read 1,047,753 times
Absolutely the most important factor in safe winter driving is:

1. Drive slowly and carefully. That's it.

People here are going on and on about winter tires. Are the tire manufacturers all on here?

I'm 55. Lived in the midwest all my life where snow and ice storms are, unfortunately, all too common. I've never had so much as a fender bender and certainly have never had to be towed out of a ditch and believe it or not, have never used a winter tire.

I wouldn't know one if it fell on me and sure don't want to store extra tires all year round just to use them 2 months out of the year.

I simply drive slowly, carefully and defensively. i.e. watch out for the other guy.

It's mainly the idiots driving around in their AWD's and winter tires that have false sense of security and thus, drive too fast and are blissfully unaware of their surroundings and fellow drivers.

Too many people wanting to drive their usual 10 miles over the speed limit despite horrendous road conditions. That's the problem.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,359,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
4 WD is useless when it comes to stability on ice.

What matter are the following, in no particular order:

1. Winter tires.
2. Driver skill and cautious driving
3. A low profile, heavy vehicle.

I have a Nissan Altima 2008 3.5 SE that handles very well on ice IF winter tires are installed.
I agree with it but as to #3 you want a low center of gravity but not low ground clearance and not much of a front overhang

Old 12-20-2013, 03:09 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,723,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleck View Post
Best part is, it is SAFER on snow and ice than the 2 wheelers.
I'm glad you love your Pathfinder and I know that they have a reputation for being very capable and reliable off road vehicles but the part you mentioned about the ice is simply not true. When the coefficient of friction between your tires and an icy road is effectively zero then no vehicle, 2WD, AWD or 4WD, is going to be safe. Studded tires, chains and a calm driver are about the only things that will save you.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:26 PM

129 posts, read 525,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I'm glad you love your Pathfinder and I know that they have a reputation for being very capable and reliable off road vehicles but the part you mentioned about the ice is simply not true. When the coefficient of friction between your tires and an icy road is effectively zero then no vehicle, 2WD, AWD or 4WD, is going to be safe. Studded tires, chains and a calm driver are about the only things that will save you.
Well I've driven two wheelers and four wheelers and this one travels much better up the drastic icey turning slope of our drive.

I can't say the coeficient of friction has gone all the way to zero, don't beleive it has. If it were the case I would agree. Because I am the one who plows this treacherous curve ( I should post a pic) with our 4wd diesel tractor with a grader. That itself slides off this when in 2wd. We don't use studded tires or chains on either but I'm sure they'd vastly improve my acura's traction, to be fair.

I've used the Deere to pull the sliders out of the trees on the downside of the curve.

BTW Pathfinder is a Rogue - my mistake above.

Last edited by fleck; 12-20-2013 at 05:36 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 05:47 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,501,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Absolutely the most important factor in safe winter driving is:

1. Drive slowly and carefully. That's it.

People here are going on and on about winter tires. Are the tire manufacturers all on here?

I'm 55. Lived in the midwest all my life where snow and ice storms are, unfortunately, all too common. I've never had so much as a fender bender and certainly have never had to be towed out of a ditch and believe it or not, have never used a winter tire.

I wouldn't know one if it fell on me and sure don't want to store extra tires all year round just to use them 2 months out of the year.

I simply drive slowly, carefully and defensively. i.e. watch out for the other guy.

It's mainly the idiots driving around in their AWD's and winter tires that have false sense of security and thus, drive too fast and are blissfully unaware of their surroundings and fellow drivers.

Too many people wanting to drive their usual 10 miles over the speed limit despite horrendous road conditions. That's the problem.
I pretty much agree. In a 4-decade plus driving career on very treacherous roads every one of those winters, I have had winter snow tires on exactly 3 vehicles for 3 winters. All three were vehicles with very poor weight distribution, no traction control, two of those vehicles pre-dating ABS. Part of safe driving on slick roads is knowing the capability of your vehicle and adjusting your driving style accordingly. I don't drive an AWD the same way I drive and FWD, and I don't drive a FWD the same way that I drive a 4WD. They behave differently and require different driving techniques. It's the same with tires.

Most drivers today are so ill-trained that they have no idea how to drive whatever type of vehicle that they have, no matter what kind of tires it has, safely in adverse winter driving conditions. I see that ineptitude on the road (or in the ditch, or smashed into another vehicle) constantly in bad winter driving conditions. Meanwhile, the people that I know who do have proper winter driving skills can drive winter after winter in bad conditions and never have a wreck, never slip off the road, and never get stuck--many of them like the poster quoted here who never use dedicated winter tires.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:01 PM

129 posts, read 525,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I don't drive an AWD the same way I drive and FWD, and I don't drive a FWD the same way that I drive a 4WD. They behave differently and require different driving techniques. It's the same with tires.
Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti