Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 04:32 PM

7 posts, read 16,368 times

Advertisements

Hi,

my husband and I are moving to the Ft.Drum Area around December.
I was told to start looking early because it is hard to find a home where you can bring pets.
I have three German Shepherds that are very well behaved. One male (5), female (5) and another 13 weeks old female.
My parents are very well known and reputable breeders with more than 25 years of experience so I can bring proof that they are truly well behaved and that I have lots of experience in handling dogs and that they will be no threat to the neighborhood.

I've been googling rental homes for quite a while and whenever it says "dogs allowed" it's only up to 15 or 25lbs.

If there is anyone out there that can give me any advise or suggest a good rental agency, please do. I very much appreciate every advise I can get.

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 PM

Anyone?

Old 04-22-2010, 04:03 AM

118 posts, read 280,689 times
Looking at the situation from the perspective of a landlord, it is a tough situation. 3 large dogs can destroy a home easily especially if one is a 3 month old puppy. Landlords can't get a rental deposit large enough to cover costs of replacing all carpets due to huge amounts of pet pee, chewed woodwork, etc. from renters who said their dogs were well behaved but were not (not saying at all that is the case with you). Such a deposit would have to be many thousands of dollars.

You are asking the landlord, who does not know you, to trust that the dogs will not wreck the home that is their livelihood through the rental funds they receive. Turn the tables: would you trust the landlord enough to give a large deposit? Money talks, if you see a home you like, call and offer to leave a $5,000 deposit. There is a trust issue on both sides, many renters hesitate to leave large deposits because of the fear that the landlord will not return them, and many landlords hesitate to rent to people who have animals that could destroy the homes they receive income from. Contractual writings help somewhat but often enforcement can cost more than the damages for renters who move out leaving a destroyed home, or landlords who don't return deposits.

So if you can afford enough of a deposit to ease their minds, you might get a landlord that will rent to you.

Here's a suggestion: Most well known breeders these days are members of online dog communities. If your parents are renowned breeders let their rep do the work, ask them to post in their community to see if they can find anyone in the area you propose to move into that would rent to you.

Or, perhaps your parents will board your dogs for a year or so while you get a rental, scope out the area, and then buy a home.

Last edited by Lucillle; 04-22-2010 at 04:16 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 06:35 AM

Well... she is 3 months old now. In December she'll be 11 months old and almost fully trained.

However, the dogs are inside and outside dogs. If we have the opportunity to build an outdoor kennel we can keep them outside as well as inside.

None of my dogs do any damage to the house or apartment. I know, everybody says that and than the landlord ends up with a destroyed home, however there is a HUGE difference between American dog owners and German dog owners (I am a German Citizen)

A German dog owner would never leave his dog more than 10 hours alone, take him out to poop and than bring him back into the house for the next 10 hours. That is what I see on post every day. That people own a dog, don't exercise them, don't train them and only take them out to poop and than bring it back in. NO WONDER they end up with destroyed homes. As for the money part, if I had that much money, yes I would make such a big deposit but let's be realistic. We are a military family and my husband is an E-5. There is no way that we can ship all of the dogs to the States and come up with a big deposit like that. However, the dogs are fully insured and IF there would be ANY damage at all, the insurance company would cover it. But there is no way that I will let that happen in the first place.

Every dog needs a job, if they don't have a job than they get themselves something to do.

My two older dogs are tracking dogs and go in obedience as well as agility. My youngest one (if everything works out the way it's suppossed to work out) is suppossed to become a Search & Rescue, she'll start with the tracking this upcoming Saturday.

My parents are not on any online Forums at all. They literally don't have the time to be on there and they don't have to be on any community to be reputable breeders.

Last edited by Annedore; 04-22-2010 at 06:44 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 AM

525 posts, read 2,352,511 times
Go to germanshepherds dot com and post a message in the Chat room or perhaps in Info.

There is a gal and her husband that moved up to the area with a Shep a Mal and 2 kitties. She may very well be able to help you as she was very successful and got a great home on nice land with a great landlord. 2-legged and 4-legged are very happy!

We are Shep folks as well-great pups and great family members and ours certainly love living up in the country. Good luck and take care of those puppers.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Thank you so much. I am actually already on there. LOL

Old 04-22-2010, 10:27 AM

525 posts, read 2,352,511 times
Then you know of abbyK9 you silly girl....too much Sheppie hair (I mean fiber) in your breakfast

Old 04-22-2010, 02:09 PM

93,608 posts, read 124,322,716 times
If you search Fort Drum, for which there are many threads about, it would have some websites for apartments/rental homes that might allow dogs.

I don't know if you've tried this one, but it could help: MapsKrieg - Watertown, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent

Old 04-22-2010, 03:27 PM

118 posts, read 280,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annedore View Post

None of my dogs do any damage to the house or apartment. I know, everybody says that and than the landlord ends up with a destroyed home
Annedore,

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes. It can be tough to convince landlords.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Then you know of abbyK9 you silly girl....too much Sheppie hair (I mean fiber) in your breakfast
Yes, too much fiber in my food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
Annedore,

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes. It can be tough to convince landlords.
Thank you, will do that. Already found the support I need.

Shepherd people stick together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York