Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times

Advertisements

In my part of WNY the Mets are closer to the Tribe than they are the Yankees. I'd say its closer to 50% Yankees, 20% Mets, 15% Indians + 15% other (mostly Red Sox, Blue Jays & Pirates).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I would highly doubt that yankees/mets are as close at 50% & 45%

Western NY & the portion of central NY i'm familiar with is highly yankees ......... there were some mets fans, but they were in no more #s than other teams like the indians, blue jays, etc

The Yankees were by and far the #1 team and it isn't just a "hey let's jump the bandwagon" .... a lot of it is generational support - i'm not an yankees fan, but my older brother is - my grandfather used to go to games in NYC and would even take my grandmother down for some games

she recalls watching some of the old time players - since I've live in AZ now it's great going to spring training games with her every year and listening to her talk .... she didn't follow the league, but knew the yankees because that was my grandfathers passion in sports
I would definitely stand by my numbers. I just came from Brockport, which I lived in for a year and it was almost 50/50 Yanks-Mets, with a couple other teams sprinkled in. I just came back to long island and it is about 50/50 here. Before I ever moved to the island I lived in the city and still go to different parts of the city every month and there is a slight advantage for the Yankees. The population in all the upstate regions doesn't compare to NYC and long island, that's why 50-45 was my result.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
You're way off.My parents are from the Bronx originally. I was born in Queens. My wife was born in Brooklyn and we were both raised in Long Island from about 7 ears old up. My grandfather till he died was a Giants fan. My father and I, Yankees. Alot of people from Brooklyn followed the Dodgers but there are more Yankee fans there than Mets fans. Long Island is almost 50/50 Yanks to Mets fans. The Yanks might have a very slight edge. Western, NY has Yanks, Mets, and even Red Sox fans. NJ is mostly Yankee fans.
The distillation of my already concise post was that most Mets fans are in Long Island and the boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn and that everywhere else there is a distinct plurality of Yankees fans. How was I way off.

I didn't say that there were no Yankees fans in Long Island or Queens or Brooklyn. I didn't say that there were no Mets fans in the Bronx or points north.

I did say that my claims were a "rule of thumb" meaning that if someone says, "Hey, I'm from the Bronx" I would be a fool to immediately assume that they are a Mets fan. I could be wrong but that's not where my money is going.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:37 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,422,875 times
The Syracuse area is Yankee territory.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
You're way off.My parents are from the Bronx originally. I was born in Queens. My wife was born in Brooklyn and we were both raised in Long Island from about 7 ears old up. My grandfather till he died was a Giants fan. My father and I, Yankees. Alot of people from Brooklyn followed the Dodgers but there are more Yankee fans there than Mets fans. Long Island is almost 50/50 Yanks to Mets fans. The Yanks might have a very slight edge. Western, NY has Yanks, Mets, and even Red Sox fans. NJ is mostly Yankee fans.
I disagree about the 50/50 split on Long Island.

I would say the majority of Long Islanders are Mets fans. Of course we still have a lot of Yankee fans. There is even a few who like BOTH teams, lol.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
i don't know - maybe the parts of the city i've spent time in are more yankees/giants instead of mets/jets or I could be subconsciously throwing in north jersey as well

i just know very few mets fans - maybe they just do a better job at hiding and aren't as up front about their support as mentioned above

i'll definitely defer to your knowledge of your own backyard

Old 03-31-2010, 08:47 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,113 times
I'm not much of a baseball fan but judging from bumber stickers, baseball caps, and what my friends talk about I'd say the Yankees are a NYS team popular everywhere (less so on Long Island), Mets are a NYC team (very popular on Long Island), Pirates have quite a following along the Southern Tier (Western NY along the PA border), and Blue Jays have quite a fan base from Buffalo to Rochester (maybe to Syracuse but I haven't lived there).

Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
I'm not much of a baseball fan but judging from bumber stickers, baseball caps, and what my friends talk about I'd say the Yankees are a NYS team popular everywhere (less so on Long Island), Mets are a NYC team (very popular on Long Island), Pirates have quite a following along the Southern Tier (Western NY along the PA border), and Blue Jays have quite a fan base from Buffalo to Rochester (maybe to Syracuse but I haven't lived there).
I just came from Brockport (between Rochester and Buffalo) and there was no signs of any Bluejay fans there.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The distillation of my already concise post was that most Mets fans are in Long Island and the boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn and that everywhere else there is a distinct plurality of Yankees fans. How was I way off.

I didn't say that there were no Yankees fans in Long Island or Queens or Brooklyn. I didn't say that there were no Mets fans in the Bronx or points north.

I did say that my claims were a "rule of thumb" meaning that if someone says, "Hey, I'm from the Bronx" I would be a fool to immediately assume that they are a Mets fan. I could be wrong but that's not where my money is going.
Word it however you like. You stated there are Yankee fans everywhere but Brooklyn,Queens,and Long Island. Re-read your post. All areas have both fans with the Yankees prevailing. To the guy that said the Mets have a better following than the Yanks on Long Island,; no way. I've lived in Queens and minus one year in Brockport, i've lived on long island the rest of my life (over 30 years) and I would definitely say the Yanks have more fans here but not overwhelming.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Quote:
I just came from Brockport (between Rochester and Buffalo) and there was no signs of any Bluejay fans there.
Brockport is much different than Buffalo or Rochester. I'd imagine the large student population from the Long Island area would make things look closer to home for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York