Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:22 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,739,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
One other thing...Binghamton has one of the highest percentages of cloudy days in the nation. You picked a nice day to hit Bingo...but most of the time it is raining or overcast.

Thus far the spring of 2007 has proven itself to be an outstanding one! Here in Scranton we just had one of the sunniest Mays on record, and other than a severe thunderstorm last night that helped to water our lawn and landscaping, the entire first week of June has been sunny and in the 70s-80s (yesterday was in the mid-90s). I work in retail, and I believe the wonderful weather has truly lifted the spirits of our customers, who seem to be happier, perkier, and more patient this year as opposed to last spring, when the weather wasn't as stellar.

You can't always go by statistics---Binghamton and Scranton might seem like twin demons of cloudiness, but these past six weeks have been phenomenal; I've never seen so many people jogging/running in my subdivision before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Part One

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward bound View Post
Loved your impressions and thoughts of Binghamton as much as the pictures, SWB.
Why, thank you! It's always nice to have a fan at a time when I feel a growing uprising swelling against me. LOL!

Quote:
And thoroughly enjoyed your added links here.
I hope to have a "sticky" posted soon on the Northeastern PA sub-forum that will contain an updated list of links to my 20+ photos tours of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area (with many, many more on the horizon).

Quote:
My jaw just drops at the homes up North.
The South also has its fair share of elegance, I'm sure. Just from watching "Flip This House" on HGTV, I've observed that Charleston, SC is steeped in history and charm. I've heard the same is true for Savannah, GA, Richmond, VA, and Asheville, NC as well. Unfortunately, when most people think of the south they immediately think of the ugly, sprawled-out hemmorrhoids known as Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, etc. and "Southern" architecture becomes synonomous with two-story vinyl-sided homes on cookie-cutter lots where a front-facing two-car garage dominates the facade and the rest of the home looks like an "afterthought."

Quote:
Talk about works of art--these are irreplaceable in their craft, materials, and their MEANING to American history and American living.
Agreed. I've always had a passion for historic architecture, and I hope to obtain a second Bachelor's Degree at some point in Architecture and/or Historic Preservation. Nothing makes me happier than to walk down a tree-lined street in "The Hill" area of Scranton in the shadow of gorgeous Victorian homes.

Quote:
Comes the rejuvenation, these places will cost three and four times their current prices.
They're already zooming up in price by me. There's currently a historic brick home on the market in Scranton's "Green Ridge" neighborhood for over $1,600,000

Quote:
But they'll always be priceless in the most important ways.
You truly can't put a monetary price on the blood, sweat, and tears that went into crafting these masterpieces.

Quote:
I just don't see how anyone can reasonably, realistically say that the design of these older towns and cities--based as they were less on the car than on walking and public transit--is surpassed by anything since.
That has been discredited by people on this forum, most of whom seem to think that suburbia offers something superior that our established neighborhoods can't.

Quote:
Shopping and parks and schools and downtown and work all within a few blocks or a quick bus or trolley ride--what else could you want to make a real community come to life and come together?
Nothing at all. I'm using that same reasoning behind my decision to move to Scranton in a few years to raise my family. It will be wonderful to walk my children to their neighborhood elementary school in the morning before walking downtown to my office. At lunchtime I can walk to a variety of downtown eateries as I treat my employees to lunch every Friday. The evenings will offer the opportunity for my partner and I to saunter downtown to see the Philharmonic play, catch a movie, hang out at the mall, or mellow out at Starbucks or "First Fridays." On the weekends we can walk our children to Nay Aug Park, where they can zoom down the water slide, visit the animals at the zoo, or take in the views of the waterfall.

Quote:
Comes $6 and $10 gas--and I don't say this gleefully; I've got car and heating oil tanks to fill, too--these towns and cities will HAVE to rebound because commuting to work, walk, shop, and building new buildings, etc., will be prohibitively expensive.
Apparently not to all. Just ask "MiamiMan." He and I have bickered incessantly over this issue.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,877 times
It's fortunate that you caught the one warm sunny day they have per year.
I went to college in Binghamton from 77 to 81, and it was pretty dead then, but I think it will still be a "Twilight Zone" for years to come.
The average BU college student is not bringing much to the town, because the campus is centered way outside of town, actually in "Vestal", and the "average" student, unless the composition has changed radically since I went there, was a downstate New Yorker who's not used to life in a small town like Binghamton, so many tend to "go away" on weekends, when they're not absorbed in studies (very studious bunch, not a party school, unless that's changed).

Old 06-13-2007, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,877 times
Sorry, I should have said in my prior message, "loved your photos", they made Binghamton look nice.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:33 AM

127 posts, read 636,211 times
Just so you know, Binghamton University is building a new center in downtown Binghamton, called the Education and Community Development Center. I haven't been back to Binghamton in a couple of years, but from what I recall, it was supposed to be finished this year sometime. From what I understand, the School of Education will be based there, and various classes and community programs will be hosted there, both by BU and Broome Community College.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babadi View Post
Just so you know, Binghamton University is building a new center in downtown Binghamton, called the Education and Community Development Center. I haven't been back to Binghamton in a couple of years, but from what I recall, it was supposed to be finished this year sometime. From what I understand, the School of Education will be based there, and various classes and community programs will be hosted there, both by BU and Broome Community College.
Hartwick mentioned this to me as well in a PM, and that is something that can be a catalyst for future development in the downtown area. More young people downtown means more foot traffic, which makes it more attractive for prospective entrepreneurs to establish new stores and restaurants to cater to these downtown newcomers. Scranton is similarly excited about its upcoming medical school in 2009, and Wilkes-Barre's new law school should do the same. Why on Earth was BU built out in the suburbs in the first place? Where was the logic behind that one?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 33,008 times
great pictures, my hometown, I know all these places. when I drive into daown i can't wait to get out of the car and walk around.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:49 PM

64 posts, read 209,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I rounded the corner onto Chestnut Street but stopped briefly to examine a sexy 2006 Mini Cooper convertible that was perched in the front of a used car lot at the intersection of Main & Chestnut. I WILL own a Mini Cooper someday, even if it kills me! Shown below are two images of my trek southward into the Keystone State.

Hmmm...I might just have to make this very same choice again in a few years after graduate school if Scranton's employment sector doesn't begin to pick up steam.

"Pennsylvania Welcomes You (and your fat tourist wallets!)"

While heading down I-81, I decided to veer off at the New Milford exit en route to a second photo tour of the quaint country town of Montrose, PA. I will be posting my photo tour of that community as well in about an hour on the PA forum if any of you would be interested in seeing more of my work.

(END)
Wow...this last picture your entering good ole great bend...I miss my home town so much at times! But its not the town you leave behind but the people! I look forward to the tour of Montrose too!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtiff21 View Post
Wow...this last picture your entering good ole great bend...I miss my home town so much at times! But its not the town you leave behind but the people! I look forward to the tour of Montrose too!

Feel free to check out my https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...hoto-tour.html . I'm a big fan of Susquehanna County, and I'd love to return to do future photo tours here some time. Areas I'm considering are Susquehanna/Oakland, Great Bend/Hallstead, Forest City, and Elk Mountain.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,730 times
That was beautiful... to the person that said that was not an accurate portrayal.. you are wrong... that covered the part of the west side the areas that were poverty struck just a few short years ago... Chapin street? Edwards street??? I used to live in the red house shown when I was 19!!! 14 years ago that place was crawling with crack heads and the homes weren't maintained at all!!! Also the area where the author said was clearly the middle to upper class... was the most inaccurate... albeit Riverside drive is where the wealthy reside, I couldn't help but notice that streets such as Murray, Leroy, and Vincent, which were mostly just families struggling to get by even 10 years ago were included in that generalization and have stepped up the game! howabout by the YWCA? That is Hawley street... where the buses congregate...one of the poorest sections. Making MAJOR improvements!!! I just wanted to say to the person that did this... you are an inspiration... I truly appreciate this. I've been arguing on craigslist for a few days now in the RnR section with someone about how crappy they think Binghamton is... I sent them this link to view your pictures. You're positive words and beautiful photos brought my case and point!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 02-05-2008 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: offensive language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York