Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM

585 posts, read 2,224,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I live in OHIO and I still can't figure out what it's called Midwest. I have lived in KS - right smack in the middle of the country. I would consider that more mid-west than Ohio.
I spent the first 21 years of my life in Kansas and Nebraska. Some people even consider these two states the west, outside of the midwest. I guess historically, the West was considered anything west of the Appalacians???

Ohio still feels like the east to me, both geographically and much of the architecture.

But yeah, I agree, the midwest covers a massive area compared to the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
I live in OHIO and I still can't figure out what it's called Midwest. I have lived in KS - right smack in the middle of the country. I would consider that more mid-west than Ohio.
Well, it is all a matter of perspective isn't it?

I consider Ohio to be marginally Midwest and Indiana and Illinois to be the core of the Midwest. Kansas is marginal in the easternmost extreme of the state but much of it is Great Plains which is the West by my impression.

ABQConvict

Old 02-17-2010, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 52,929 times
if the state has a school in the Big Ten Conference (Ohio State), that state is part of the Midwest. Penn State doesn't count.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:13 PM

137 posts, read 367,260 times
I used to live in Pittsburgh, PA and you'd occasionally hear debate about what region to classify Pittsburgh in. Some said midwest, some said mid-atlantic, some said appalachian. Generally, most people would say PGH is not midwest because the midwest doesn't start until Ohio. Even then though, much of eastern Ohio is sort of midwest lite. By the time you hit west Ohio and Indiana you are definitely in the midwest.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovolev View Post
if the state has a school in the Big Ten Conference (Ohio State), that state is part of the Midwest. Penn State doesn't count.
Finally, someone who understands that sports are the final arbiter of culture.

ABQConvict

Old 05-20-2010, 07:44 PM

434 posts, read 1,165,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovolev View Post

So is Philadelphia in the Midwest!? (Temple plays Big Ten Football)

Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwalk View Post
So is Philadelphia in the Midwest!? (Temple plays Big Ten Football)
Temple is in the MAC not the Big Ten.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Quote:
I sort of agree with you. Looking at a map, if you divided the 48 continental states into 4 parts, the Great Lake States of the Midwest (Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) would be in the Northeast quarter. Perhaps Minnesota and Iowa also.

Why we divide the North into different sections called the Midwest and the Northeast while the South remains undivided is beyond me.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:35 PM

434 posts, read 1,165,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Temple is in the MAC not the Big Ten.

LMAO I am such an airhead! My bad

Old 05-22-2010, 02:56 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times
Iowa is not that flat as People imagine, it's quite hilly (large hills to boot). If you want to see real flat flat take I-44 from Wichita Falls TX to Oklahoma City, OK. First 20-30 miles stretch of I-44 on TX-OK border is golden standard for the flatness as eye can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York