Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM

531 posts, read 1,162,910 times

Advertisements

DUTCHESS County is a great place to live....lots of commuters live up here, and there are a lot of homes reasonably priced at the moment! We are about 1.5 hours to NYC, and 1.5 hours to Albany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM

995 posts, read 2,729,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and Jim View Post
DUTCHESS County is a great place to live....lots of commuters live up here, and there are a lot of homes reasonably priced at the moment! We are about 1.5 hours to NYC, and 1.5 hours to Albany.
Do you live there or are you implying that Dutchess County is a 1 1/2 between each location? I don't live in Dutchess, but if I did it would probably be in either wappingers/fishkill area.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 AM

9,174 posts, read 13,265,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and Jim View Post
Yes, Dutchess County is a great place to live.

But if I lived there I would be keeping mum about it! Everytime a nice place is "discovered" in this country, every Tom, Dick & Harry rushes to move there and overpopulate & ruin it. It happened to Long Island, NNJ and Florida. Now its happening to part of the Poconos and the Carolinas.

So if I was you I would keep quiet!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,683 times
While Dutchess has some good points, it's changed drastically in the last 10-15 years from what it was. While no place stays the same, it's become over populated on the southern end. Rt.9 and Rt. 52 get clogged up from3:30-7pm most nights-I've heard transplants say it's just like Central Ave in Yonkers. That's not a good compliment in my book. We lost our farms-we used to have over 500-now we are down to 35. Our schools have had a increase of populations that some of them can't handle-Van Wyck can only handle 1100-there's over 1400 there-it's over fire code.

I was born and raised here-most of my friends have moved on out because the high cost of taxes and loss of jobs. When IBM let got of 11,000 and Texaco moved shop out of here-we lost our manufacturing base. The majority of jobs here are service industry-hotels, retail and restaurants. Low paying jobs. There are few jobs here that make good money. "The median household income in Dutchess County was $69,507 for 2008, according to U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey" as was in the Poughkeepsie Journal today Jan.31, 2010. I can tell you honestly, my spouse when he was employed after 21 years only hit 50K in June of 08 after that many years at one job. He's been job hunting here since June of 08. He even went back to BOCES to learn a trade-HVAC-R. Can't find anything in that line of work. He went on a interview Thursday where 186 people applied for one job in the pest control industry. Tell me, if that many are looking for work-just for one job-how many are out of work here? There are no jobs. The construction industry has totally tanked-there's no new projects being built around here. So all these contractors, skilled tradesmen are sitting idol and not working.

Dutchess while it used to be a great place and in your local towns everyone knew each other-has become a bedroom community for commuters. You rarely meet your neighbors-I've lived on the same road my whole life and I can honestly say-I only know a handful of people. Some I've never even seen leave their houses or go out in their yards to say hello even-they hire landscapers to mow their lawns. It's sad how we've lost that little bit of Americana here.

We are looking to leave soon. It's not to our liking anymore-we both were born and raised here-hubby's family has been here for 6 generations. I want a more rural area again to be in-I miss the days of the farm down the road who's horses would get loose and walk down our road here in the Village. Those days are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York