Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 AM

6 posts, read 19,023 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at buying a house in Utica but I am not familiar enough with the city to know where to stay away from. Can anyone give me the main streets that surround Cornhill. I know Rutger, Eagle, and James are part of it but I don't know how far south it goes. Is Conkling an alright area? What areas should we avoid? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 04:44 PM

93,650 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulludwikowski View Post
My wife and I are looking at buying a house in Utica but I am not familiar enough with the city to know where to stay away from. Can anyone give me the main streets that surround Cornhill. I know Rutger, Eagle, and James are part of it but I don't know how far south it goes. Is Conkling an alright area? What areas should we avoid? Thanks
Conkling I think is the "line" between Cornhill and the nicer parts of East Utica. If you want nice parts of the city of Utica, I'd go with North Utica, most of South Utica, East Utica around Proctor High and Mohawk Valley Community College and the areas right next to Memorial Parkway/Pleasant St. Areas near Utica College are fine too. Here's a map I found from the city website: http://www.cityofutica.com/pdf/council_districts.pdf
I'd say that districts 1 and 5(where Cornhill is located) are the ones you would want to avoid. Maybe the inner part(east of the arterial) of district 2 as well.

Here's more on the city: http://www.cityofutica.com/Home

Old 10-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the information.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 PM

144 posts, read 638,866 times
Avoid all of Utica, stick to the great towns and villages surrounding it. Utica is a political, social, and economical mess of a city. If you can even call it a city.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,191 times
Smile Just signed on

Quote:

I hope you have found a home by now. If not you can email me and I will be more than glad to help you with any questions about the area. Food, Shopping, Hospitals both good and poor. Nursing homes, Fine dining. You name it. And Yes, Stay away from the East side of Utica from Genesee Street East at Night. Bleecker street is OK to travel do not Stop for anyone. I was a Street Kid so I am not afraid of those punks. I will run them over and go after them. But that's me. I am from the old school. If the police can't control them and I am cornered, I will protect myself and the other person will not make it to jail. It is called self defense.
You see, I am also disabled and I died 2 times so I take each day for what it is worth. I love Living.
You take care and I ment what I said. I will help you where I can.
Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-06-2010 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: NO signatures, per TOS

Old 03-19-2010, 11:22 PM

Yes we closed on a house in early Dec and are in a quite area right next to Yorkville.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:01 AM

93,650 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Yes we closed on a house in early Dec and are in a quite area right next to Yorkville.
You are either in the NY Mills or Whitesboro school districts. Both are fine. You might be in a decent part of Utica close to Utica College. anyway, that area of Utica is also know for having a strong Polish community in that area. NY Mills is about 37% people of Polish descent, if I'm not mistaken, according to the 2000 US census.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 PM

213 posts, read 449,828 times
AVOID Utica! You are better off in Syracuse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York