Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 PM

505 posts, read 2,336,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangoghsear View Post
newburgh, ny always refers to the city of newburgh... when one refers to the town of newburgh, they say the town of newburgh... no distinction is necessary...

That is not necessarily correct. When working with out of area buyers (which is about 60-75% of people buying homes in Orange County) they don't even know that there is a difference. Please be specific as to not confuse people that are doing research on an area they do not know much about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 11:43 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,904,383 times
I always found it amusing how vehemently the residents of the TOWN of Newburgh always make sure everyone else knows that is where they live.

Frankly, the two need a divorce with a new name adopted by one or the other.

If I were a realtor, I'd organize the other realtors and the residents of the TOWN of Newburgh to effect such a change.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
That is not necessarily correct. When working with out of area buyers (which is about 60-75% of people buying homes in Orange County) they don't even know that there is a difference. Please be specific as to not confuse people that are doing research on an area they do not know much about.
So glad to see you caught that. The two are, indeed, different and the town of Newburgh is much nicer than the city. While browsing your listings I noticed you have a house in Greenwood Lake listed as, "Warwick." I'm sure you'll want to correct that. The City of Newburgh is in the Town of Newburgh just as the Village of Greenwood Lake is in the Town of Warwick.

Last edited by Jason_Els; 06-02-2007 at 12:15 AM..

Old 06-02-2007, 08:05 AM

491 posts, read 829,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCharlotte View Post
I grew up in Beacon, so I have seen what has happened to Newburgh. When I was in high school, we used to go to the library at the end of Broadway by the river for research. Now I wouldn't dare go anywhere near Broadway after dusk. I thinkthe closing early is a GREAT idea. Keep people safer.
The TOWN of Newburgh and it's outskirts are nice. They have really tried to revitalize the waterfront. But I wouldn't go a block up away from the waterfront at all.
Thats your "multiculturlism" working, sounds like Kingston.
-Joe

Old 06-02-2007, 02:31 PM

505 posts, read 2,336,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
So glad to see you caught that. The two are, indeed, different and the town of Newburgh is much nicer than the city. While browsing your listings I noticed you have a house in Greenwood Lake listed as, "Warwick." I'm sure you'll want to correct that. The City of Newburgh is in the Town of Newburgh just as the Village of Greenwood Lake is in the Town of Warwick.
It's funny you mention that....I've been working on it...if you click on the listing, you'll see that it's in there correctly. We have a new website and we are still working out the bugs on what autopopulates and what doesn't....it's difficult.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 75,929 times
Do you mean proof that bad things are happening in Newburgh? Just pick up the Times Herald-Record, pretty much any issue....

Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 PM

13 posts, read 72,589 times
moving to newburgh is a bad idea, going downhill. in the paper last year, it said it had the highest crime rate in the country, for a city under 50,000. I dont know if this is true, but i do know its a bad idea to live here

Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 PM

52 posts, read 288,410 times
Default Newburgh

Jason,

How's it going? I remember you from the Warwick posts.'

I enjoyed reading your posts about Newburgh. I used to visit Newburgh every once a while and know exactly what you're talking about. I was even excited about the "renaissance", and looked into buying on Grand St, near some of those grand Victorian, Gothic Revival homes. I didn't know Downing Park was designed by Frederick Olmstead. Funny, I came upon it accidentally during one of my adventure tours. What other sites do you know where we can read about the heyday of Newburgh?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:16 PM

No others than the ones listed on Wikipedia and Newburgh Revealed, which has a fantastic photo essay. Be sure to hover over the pictures. It's heart-breaking but gives a glimpse of what was one of America's most beautiful cities. Chicago doesn't have the architecture that Newburgh does. Sorry to say, not that many people care about Newburgh any more. Every promise of revival or renaissance or whatever have all come apart no matter what has been tried. Albany does not want Newburgh changed any more than it wants any of the other upstate cities to be rehabilitated. Too many Democratic votes would be lost. As you can read from that Time article, all the best intentions in the world don't amount to a hill of beans in New York if the three-men-in-the-smoky-room don't want it.

The, "Empire State," indeed.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:53 PM

129 posts, read 251,120 times
thats why the community needs to band together and kick all the crack dealers out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York