Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:18 PM

25 posts, read 90,313 times

Advertisements

..... Forget about the murder ..... and I am NOT mentally ill !!! ..... I heard they really get flooded out there now ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,763 times
Default Norwich

I was born in Norwich, and my mom and my most of my family still live there. I agree with pretty much everything that's been mentioned so far. Here's my take on the place:

Healthcare in Norwich is scary; particularly Chenango Memorial. My grandmother went in for a routine operation and died of blood poisoning. Every single person I know in Norwich makes the drive to Syracuse or Cooperstown for medical care...even for simple ailments.

While the general crime rate might be low, drugs are a MUCH bigger problem than most people probably realize. Crack, cocaine, meth...it's all over Norwich. I suppose it's not a big deal if you're an adult, but it's something you might want to consider if you're planning to raise children there. You'd honestly be surprised how widespread it is. Many, MANY people support themselves in Norwich by selling drugs.

My biggest concern with Norwich is the economy. Wages are unbelievably low, regardless of education and experience. Very few employers provide benefits. New stores and restaurants rarely succeed because so few Norwich residents have disposable income to spend. Just walking around town, you can see how depressed the economy is. Hundred-year-old houses that were obviously beautiful at one time are now run down to the point of being uninhabitable. Some multi-family houses have been on the real estate market for years, and they have asking prices of less than $60k. Even with prices that low, not many people can afford them. Here in Florida, you can't even find a vacant lot for that price.

Honestly, Norwich's only redeeming quality (in my opinion, anyway) is that Upstate New York is absolutely beautiful in the spring and summer. Everything is green and the mountains and hills and streams and rivers are incredible. Of course, spring and summer only last for a total of two weeks. The rest of the year, the place is covered with slush and ice

If you're absolutely hell-bent on living there, check out the Sunset Drive/Hillview area. The houses are well-maintained and the neighborhood is safe.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to help my mom work on her escape plan...

Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 7,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
I am an African American and Native American who owns property in Norwich New York. I recently left because I became ill due to medical problems. I found out that my body was producing tumors which is common to both of my geneological sides. Therefore I went back to Boston. I intend to return soon. While back in Boston, I have become more independently wealthy. So I won't be relying on income from Norwich. Norwich does have a problem with some Neonatizism, and bigots. But because they are so used to their opinion they don't like to hear the truth about themselves. I had my tires slashed by an extremist while I was renting from a cabin in the mountains. That person didn't want me renting there. Though my landlady is related to this person and knew what had happened she tried to cover it up. I called the police on several occasions but nothing was done on my behalf. So choose wisely and make sure you are in a well lit area. Even the radio station did a poll and many people admitted that their past relatives were of the KKK. One of their city officials was even fired for being part of a supremacist group.

I did notice that more people of color are moving in. This will help change others views and attitudes. So if you intend to move there, I say do so. But don't be blind to your wifes fears and issues because it will break you both apart.

I hope you do move here because I like to see variety, and my grandfather is Swedish. Mixes are beautiful to me. I come from a very mixed area in Boston, and hope more people move in with variety in their families. And I do intend to move back to my property, and would be happy to welcome you.
Yes Borden, more blacks are moving into Norwich. That, in itself, is not necessarily a bad thing. However, most of the ones I've met that have moved here lately are problematic -- drugs, crime, and no job. I don't want losers like this continuing to move in and worsen our area. Furthermore, I have no desire to support this trash.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTL24 View Post
The statistcs say the African American population is small in Norwich (1.6%). I'm OK with it but my fiancee wants to be sure we are welcome in the community. Please advise...truthfully. My feeling won't be hurt, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Welcome, TTL24. I don't think any decent person will mind your color as long as you're a good human being and productive member of society. And if they still have a problem with your race, they don't deserve the right time of day.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 18,977 times
I am one of those "Downstaters" who spends as much time as I can with my family up in the Norwich area, where we own a vacation home. We love the area for its quaint, small-town feel. It has all the amenities we need: Lowes, super walmart, a great steak house and Italian restaurant, and a 24-hour Pricechopper. For us, seeing people of color is an everyday experience. But I must say that I have not seen any locals treat anyone with anything less than respect and courtesy. If they have any prejudices, which I am sure some do, it is directed more at people like me who don't work and live in the area full-time. Regardless, my family and I love the area, and hope to retire to the area within six years.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 AM

30 posts, read 138,219 times
"Norwich, New York, is definitely a family-friendly community. It is relatively small but still has your "big box" retailers, with both Lowe's and a SuperWalMart available. Health care is available through the Norwich Community Hospital although for some major procedures, you are likely to find yourself traveling to Binghamton, Syracuse, or Ithaca."

Actually, Norwich, NY is an extremely racist community, with very few non-white citizens. At the local Super Wal-Mart, you'll not find a single black employee... though a few have came and went. To quote Brandi Whorrall, the store manager, "You know how those kind of people are!" You'll also not find many non-white employed around town. In short, Norwich NY is the ideal haven for skinheads, KKK, neo-Nazis, etc.

Scary, in this day and age... and very sad too!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM

30 posts, read 138,219 times
BarbaraCST, you're quite wrong. The racism and prejudice in Norwich is quite subdued and hushed. With a black population of 1.6%, you should at least be suspect as to why. Blacks are driven from this town, slowly, painfully, subtly, but always very quietly. Local LEOs help push that policy, especially the Chenango County Sheriffs Department.

I don't mean to be rude, but I know that many here are naive and very unaware of Norwich's racial undercurrents.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:54 PM

93,675 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Interestingly, Norwich had a long time African Methodist Episcopal Zion church and has a long time Black community/population. I actually know some Black folks with long time ties there. If you include those that are mixed, the percentage is around 2.5%. With that said, I've also heard of some extremist groups that are or have been outside of the city.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-22-2012 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM

13 posts, read 19,157 times
I can tell you that Chenango County has one of the highest rates for welfare. If you are looking for a decent paying job,over $10 hr....good luck. I can tell you that I have lived here all my life and do not find it a great place to live- only that my family lives here. FYI look into the taxes if you plan on owning a house - that will change your mind. A house in town will run you over $3500 in school & land taxes. A friend of mine that owns an extremely small house less than 600 sq ft of living space and 40 acres pays $4800 for the town of norwich!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 PM

93,675 posts, read 124,403,512 times
I did notice some openings at Raymond in Greene, Norwich Pharma and with Chobani , but do you anything about the work environment at any of these places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York