Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:34 AM

54 posts, read 122,445 times

Advertisements

I find that pretty much no matter where one lives, a person is either the kind who can be happy - or miserable - anywhere. It's not so much the place as the person. If you are not happy, don't blame it on your community. It's a part of one's personality that if you aren't born with, it's difficult to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 85,954 times
That certainly was one of the most blanketed and broad stroked non compassionate statements I have read on this site and without one bit of empirical evidence there certainly is a issue of the classes in this city the have and the have nots how about some Ideas like I and others presented instead of psychobabble most of us who critique this city want desperately to make it a better place your Ideas? instead of if you don't like it leave Great!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 85,954 times
RE. Update It has been almost two years since I wrote this first post, I am happy to say and see and report renewed activity and building and many improvements in the City and County in infrastructure and private and public building a big improvement, A ways to go with private sector jobs but It's very encouraging this is a beautiful County and has a lot of history and the beautiful finger lakes and very nice people ,Come visit.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,178 times
Is there public transportation in Elmira for someone that doesn't drive? I am pregnant and want to move there to get out of the city.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,178 times
Also, what about jobs?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 PM

93,623 posts, read 124,375,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laadydee View Post
Is there public transportation in Elmira for someone that doesn't drive? I am pregnant and want to move there to get out of the city.
They have it, but I don't know how good it is. I'd say that the best bets for public transportation in Upstate NY are the bigger cities and Ithaca. Some small cities like Oswego and Oneonta may work due to having colleges.

Also, look here: Central New York Jobs

New York Transit Links

Jobs in Elmira, NY - Indeed Mobile

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-23-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 AM

29 posts, read 100,188 times
Blimey, I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like the attitude shown by some people in the US - at the first sign of a struggle, up sticks and get the heck out (move to Brooklyn? . It is a real shame, because if a nucleus of people were to stay, towns like Elmira might stand a chance of thriving. Maybe I am missing something as I haven't actually been to Elmira, however, reading some of the more positive comments on here it sounds like quite a charming little town. So what, it doesn't have the cutting edge nightlife, but a lot of these small towns have a heart and soul that has been completely sucked out of the Park Slopes and Williamsburgs of the world. Maybe as you get older (I am pushing mid 30s!) you start to appreciate some of the other things towns have to offer (going for long walks in the fall etc.).

As a relative outsider (I have been in NYC for 12 years from the UK) and having traveled across the Mid West and the South, I have seen numerous smaller towns that are struggling in a similar fashion. It would be nice if some of the younger generation stuck it out long enough to make a difference.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 956 times
to my amazement ,i can not beleave that there are people in the world that would rather se all sex offenders put to death or be segregated away from society,with out any regards to what brought these offenders to that point in life.not even to mention all of our loved ones.not all offenders are monsters .mayby one should live one day as we do and see the physical struggles and mental struggles we go through ,at the decisions people whom think or claim there superior to us .i beleive GOD said we were created equel and in the likeness of his image .one never knows one of us might be put in your path of life one day and save your physical life from death. things to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York