Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:12 AM

5 posts, read 54,277 times

Advertisements

My family and I are going to be moving to the NY Metro area and we are considering multiple options as to where to live (In NY and NJ). My wife will be working in Manhattan (E. 77th and Lexington), and I'm in sales covering all of NY MEtro.

Our requirements are:
1. No more than a 1 hour commute for my wife
2. Great schools with a high school student enrollment not to exceed 1200
3. A nice town
4. Somewhere where $500,000 can purchase a nice house

From what I have read about Pearl River is very nice, but I'm not sure that it can satisfy #4.

Can you give me other suggestions in or around Rockland County? Thanks for your help.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 05:59 PM

538 posts, read 2,459,933 times
Default good luck

good luck, my friend.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,059,629 times
Default Rockland -- You are kidding right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom22
My family and I are going to be moving to the NY Metro area and we are considering multiple options as to where to live (In NY and NJ). My wife will be working in Manhattan (E. 77th and Lexington), and I'm in sales covering all of NY MEtro.

Our requirements are:
1. No more than a 1 hour commute for my wife
2. Great schools with a high school student enrollment not to exceed 1200
3. A nice town
4. Somewhere where $500,000 can purchase a nice house

From what I have read about Pearl River is very nice, but I'm not sure that it can satisfy #4.

Can you give me other suggestions in or around Rockland County? Thanks for your help.

Dave
HA, HA, HA Good luck with that!!! A 'nice' house for $500,000?? in Rockland?? You are about 4 years too late. You would need about $700,000 for a nice house with only about $10,000 a year in annual property taxes.

Nice town?? Do you mean 'Nice' like Homogenious Snobby People sipping Lattes who judge you by what label you are wearing and what model BMW or Mercedes you are driving?? and where they give you that 'look' and 'sneer' like they are better than you?? Or where the restaurants look quaint and look like they have 'character' but masks how bad they really are?? Or where life revolves & centers around shopping at 'The Mall', Costco & Target???

To summarize & put it bluntly, most of the suburbs around NYC including Westchester & Rockland suck and only good if you have a family income of $500,000 or more and where you life revolves around shopping and spending a couple grand each weekend in Manhattan because of the lack of culture in the suburbs.

But if you don't mind spending $700,000 for a ranch, and paying $10,000 or more in property taxes than go for it.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,602,780 times
NickL28 get a life..... seriously. Stop trying to convince everyone that New York is the worst place in the world.... especially those who are moving there because they HAVE TO, and go bother some other people.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 PM

302 posts, read 1,444,856 times
Smile North of Rockland

I hate to burst your bubble, but... Rockland is on the expensive side. Median price is in the $400-$500,000.00 price range for a not too big home although $10,000.00 is realistic for the taxes. Remember you have property tax, and school taxes! separately. on in Sept, the other in Jan.
I live in Orange Co. above Rockland. Will be selling and moving next year. Good Luck

Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 20,531 times
Default Ignorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28
HA, HA, HA Good luck with that!!! A 'nice' house for $500,000?? in Rockland?? You are about 4 years too late. You would need about $700,000 for a nice house with only about $10,000 a year in annual property taxes.

Nice town?? Do you mean 'Nice' like Homogenious Snobby People sipping Lattes who judge you by what label you are wearing and what model BMW or Mercedes you are driving?? and where they give you that 'look' and 'sneer' like they are better than you?? Or where the restaurants look quaint and look like they have 'character' but masks how bad they really are?? Or where life revolves & centers around shopping at 'The Mall', Costco & Target???

To summarize & put it bluntly, most of the suburbs around NYC including Westchester & Rockland suck and only good if you have a family income of $500,000 or more and where you life revolves around shopping and spending a couple grand each weekend in Manhattan because of the lack of culture in the suburbs.

But if you don't mind spending $700,000 for a ranch, and paying $10,000 or more in property taxes than go for it.

Pardon my name calling but youve given me no choice. You may be correct about some of your mud slinging terms but that is certain neighbor hoods and every county has them. The prices of homes have come way down and you can absolutely find beautiful homes under 500K. I'm not sure why you have such a bad taste in your mouth about Rockland but I wish you do more research about it before you slam it so hard.

Pearl River is a great town to raise a family and still has that small town feel. Prices in that area are greater than most others but check around you'll be surprised. Good luck to you!

Old 07-26-2006, 11:49 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,910,834 times
What are the better school districts in rockland....I am looking for really great academic enviroments....

Old 07-29-2006, 01:20 PM

26 posts, read 204,050 times
Default Rockland County

Try New City in Rockland County.
The Orangeburg School District.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:26 PM

26 posts, read 204,050 times
Default Sorry - correction

I meant:
New City, Rockland County
CLARKSTOWN SCHOOL DISTRICT (Not Orangeburg)

Old 07-30-2006, 12:44 AM

52 posts, read 567,628 times
Hi,

I live in Rockland and have all my life. I live in Clarkstown within Rockland so my information is based from my experience here.

As for homes - $500,000 can get you a pretty average, run of the mill home in Rockland. Anything under that, you are typically looking at an older, small fixer upper. New constructions can't be touched for under roughly $600,000 to $1 million plus in some neighborhoods. Our taxes are easily over $10,000 a year, though. School tax here in Clarkstown is quite high.

I am a product of the Clarkstown School system (graduated fairly recently) and have to say the schools are pretty great - school worth and ethic are highly stressed. All of my graduating class attended college. AP courses are plentiful and the music & arts programs are as well.

In the year 2005, Clarkstown was ranked the 2nd safest town in the nation according to a national study.

If I were moving to Rockland, I would keep a watchful eye in Pearl River & Clarkstown. Pearl River is a lovely town with great schools. Your wife can catch the train to NYC right from Pearl River. It reminds me of a typical "American town" like you'd see on TV. Home prices are generally in the range of Clarkstown.

I suppose I can agree that Rockland is perhaps becoming more 'snobby' as it once was. Income levels have drasically increased over the last few years - and even with an average of $100,000/a year in my town it doesn't seem to be 'enough' to cover expenses for new residents with home prices and taxes. You may find people who just moved to town with no furniture in their home because they can't afford it yet.

There's no denying that there is a sense of 'competition' here, but I'm sure that can be found in most towns. The 'bad' part about this is now younger couples and people with limited funding for a home are being pushed away up north towards Orange County and beyond.

I'm sure if you keep an eye on the real estate a good deal would be bound to come your way. Snatch it up fast, though. A house on my street had the 'For Sale' sign placed on their lawn on a Thursday and it was Sold by the following week. Good deals go fast, don't let them slip by.

Good luck to you and if you want to know anything else, I'd be happy to try and answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York