Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 16,865 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My husband is considering taking a job in Middletown, NY and so we might move to the area. We have a 2 year old daughter and have lived in Manhattan for the past decade. Any advice that you can share about the region would be very much appreciated.

What are the towns like? What are the reputations of the school districts in the area (some of the schools look huge, is that true?)? Are there towns/areas to avoid or to focus on? Are there places with good restaurants/independant stores/creative people? What is the current economic situation doing to the area? Do people/businesses seem to be really struggling right now? What about recreation - are there any common "hobbies" (like going to Jones Beach would be for a Long Islander?)

Thank you so much for any thoughts/advice you can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM

93,799 posts, read 124,527,296 times
You can check out school district information out here:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Orange (broken link)

Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 16,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can check out school district information out here:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Orange (broken link)
Thank you!

Can anyone else share any information about the communities in the vicinity of Middletown, NY - specifically Goshen, Chester, Monroe and Warwick and possibly Tuxedo?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:15 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,787,670 times
Monroe has an extreme amount of hasidic jews. to the point where theres dozens of them walking on the streets whenever you drive.

i have a friend who lives in warwick and its a really nice area. i would suggest it

Old 03-06-2009, 08:26 PM

93,799 posts, read 124,527,296 times
I've heard good things about Cornwall, Goshen and the Minisink Valley area too. I think the Valley Central and Pine Bush areas are fine too.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 10,200 times
I grew up in Orange county, born and raised there. I know all of those towns very well. If you are planing to move to the Middletown area your children could be in Middletown, Pine Bush, or Minisink schools. They are all O.K. , some better than others. If you plan on livving near Montgomery than they would go to Valley Central. I'm a little partial to Pine Bush only because that's where I'm from, and my wife happened to teach there for ten years befor we moved. Yes, some school's are big, with graduating class sizes in the hundreds.
It seems that over the years the little towns have grown so much. To me that means more traffic. But it also means more places to go out to eat, shop ect...

I'm not sure if this helped you. If you have specific questions I can try to answer them for you, or send you in a direction where you can find an answer.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 10,194 times
Default Need to buy a home in Orange County, NY.

I am looking to buy in Orange county Ny...do not have kids not worried about schools... would like to find a hamlet or niche' that has some good foodie places Can anyone out there suggest some good areas to settle I work at West Point, and don't mind commuting 40 mins out.
Thanks for the help.
signed,
Pointhouse

Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM

715 posts, read 2,512,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
I am looking to buy in Orange county Ny...do not have kids not worried about schools... would like to find a hamlet or niche' that has some good foodie places Can anyone out there suggest some good areas to settle I work at West Point, and don't mind commuting 40 mins out.
Thanks for the help.
signed,
Pointhouse
Since you are willing to drive a bit to get to work, it opens up a wide variety of options -- you don't have to restrict yourself to Orange County. There are some options within the county that you may find attractive, but even more exist in Westchester (closer to NYC than Orange), Rockland (closer to NYC than Orange), and Dutchess (equidistant or a bit farther to NYC than Orange). Food diversity has a direct relationship with distance to NYC.

Locations in Orange County worth looking in to: Cornwall, Washingtonville, Chester, Montgomery, Monroe, Town of Newburgh, Town of Wallkill...

Locations in Dutchess County worth looking in to: Beacon, Fishkill, Wappingers, Town of Poughkeepsie...

Locations in Rockland County worth looking in to: Suffern, Pearl River, Nyack...

Locations in Westchester County worth looking in to: Peekskill, Croton-on-Hudson, Ossining, Tarrytown, Mount Kisco, Yonkers...

While West Point is west of the Hudson River, it is accessible by the Newburgh-Beacon or Bear Mountain Bridges; the Tappan Zee if you live farther south...

Selecting a place to live depends entirely on your budget. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,668,064 times
Try Goshen.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 PM

222 posts, read 716,158 times
If you want to be a bit further up in Orange County, you might want to consider Pine Bush. It's in a beautiful area, and the town is nice as well. There is a health food store, a cafe and some restaurants. You are not far from the Catskill Mountains where you can enjoy hiking, boating, fishing and other outdoor activities. I live further up in the northern part of Sullivan County where the housing costs are less expensive and taxes are lower, but my husband and I would like to live in Pine Bush if we could afford it. Good luck in your search.

Galee

P.S. Goshen is also very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York