Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 AM

14 posts, read 68,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschultzy View Post
I personally think the rochester NY area east side is a great place to live. I moved there 20 years ago and recently moved away. I have to say that Fairport, Perinton,Bushnells basin, Pittsford are all very nice areas with great school districts. I now live in the Buffalo Ny area suburbs. I thinkit is a very nice area many nice suburbs but cant tell you about the school dist as I have had no experience with them. I can tell you that moving away from the down state NY area m,any years ago I have no regrets..it is much nicer,,cleanerm, friendlier and family oriented in the upstate regions of NY. good luck in your search
Debra
I have searched into Rochester; it seems like a nice place, affordable housing, and good schools. However the Job Market does not seem to be doing very well, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Don't move to Poughkeepsie. It was bad 20 years ago when I was at college. Diversity should not mean you have to live in a dangerous place!

Old 03-13-2007, 04:30 PM

20 posts, read 35,264 times
Default Great Syracuse neighborhood

I've lived a number of places, including New Paltz, Bar Harbor, and others, but I ended up coming back home to Syracuse. As long as you can delight in snow for a few months (and we know how to keep the roads clear better than any other city), you have the best of many worlds here. A great university and other colleges, top notch health care, a symphony, opera, plenty of live theater, enough night life, tons of historical things to see, and recreational possibilities of all sorts. The best inline skating in the northeast, I believe, is the 2-mile stretch of asphalt along Onondaga Lake. There's skiing both inside and outside the city, ice skating in the heart of downtown, lakes galore all around, the wineries of the Finger Lakes region, the camping and climbing of the Adirondaks, and biking along the Erie Canal.

If you like urban living but don't like frustrating commutes or traffic, then you might consider living in the neighborhood of Eastwood, in the northeast corner of the city. Check out my Walkable Eastwood website: http://walkeastwood.org ... you'll learn everything you could want to know, plus you could join the neighborhood email group, even if briefly, to ask questions. We have it all here in Eastwood: safe, walkable streets with sidewalks, a park with skiing in the winter and golf in the summer, an recently-restored independent movie theater, cafes, restaurants, three independent bookstores, convenience stores, boutiques, hardware store, banks, a top-rated auto repair place, a Dunkin Donuts and (drum roll, please) one of the best small-batch coffee roasters in the northeast - no kidding - at Cafe Kubal.

Syracuse's economy has been slowly improving, along with its steady improvement in real estate values. This is no boom-and-bust town, but it is on the verge of a major increase in the number of construction projects.

That's enough for now, I'm sure! You'll find this and tons more on the website. Good luck with your search!

Lonnie

Old 03-13-2007, 05:45 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
If you want to commute to NYC from Southern Ulster your best bet would be Wallkill or New Paltz. The commute time is questionable, my father lives outside of walden which is in Northern Orange County and his commute goes from 1:15 to 1:30 all the way to 2 hours if there is a "mess" (bus in accident, 17 backed up, etc) I would guess to get there from Wallkill or New Paltz would run you about 15 minutes or so longer. You need easy access to 87 or 84 to make it to NYC in any decent amount of time. Anything past exit 18 on the NYS Thruway is just horrid for commuting time.

Montgomery NY is worth checking out depending on your comfort level for a mortgage. The taxes are pretty high but many people who have NYC salaries seem to do quite well there.

I know little of Albany area except that it seems to be cheaper housing than S. NYS and from what I have experienced job hunting the salaries there are pretty low. We applied for a government job there a few years back and we were going to take a 25% cut in pay compared to Newburgh NY.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
I've lived a number of places, including New Paltz, Bar Harbor, and others, but I ended up coming back home to Syracuse. As long as you can delight in snow for a few months (and we know how to keep the roads clear better than any other city), you have the best of many worlds here. A great university and other colleges, top notch health care, a symphony, opera, plenty of live theater, enough night life, tons of historical things to see, and recreational possibilities of all sorts. The best inline skating in the northeast, I believe, is the 2-mile stretch of asphalt along Onondaga Lake. There's skiing both inside and outside the city, ice skating in the heart of downtown, lakes galore all around, the wineries of the Finger Lakes region, the camping and climbing of the Adirondaks, and biking along the Erie Canal.

If you like urban living but don't like frustrating commutes or traffic, then you might consider living in the neighborhood of Eastwood, in the northeast corner of the city. Check out my Walkable Eastwood website: http://walkeastwood.org ... you'll learn everything you could want to know, plus you could join the neighborhood email group, even if briefly, to ask questions. We have it all here in Eastwood: safe, walkable streets with sidewalks, a park with skiing in the winter and golf in the summer, an recently-restored independent movie theater, cafes, restaurants, three independent bookstores, convenience stores, boutiques, hardware store, banks, a top-rated auto repair place, a Dunkin Donuts and (drum roll, please) one of the best small-batch coffee roasters in the northeast - no kidding - at Cafe Kubal.

Syracuse's economy has been slowly improving, along with its steady improvement in real estate values. This is no boom-and-bust town, but it is on the verge of a major increase in the number of construction projects.

That's enough for now, I'm sure! You'll find this and tons more on the website. Good luck with your search!

Lonnie
WOW! That sounds great. I definitely have to look into the Syracuse area. Thanks for the info

Old 03-13-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
If you want to commute to NYC from Southern Ulster your best bet would be Wallkill or New Paltz. The commute time is questionable, my father lives outside of walden which is in Northern Orange County and his commute goes from 1:15 to 1:30 all the way to 2 hours if there is a "mess" (bus in accident, 17 backed up, etc) I would guess to get there from Wallkill or New Paltz would run you about 15 minutes or so longer. You need easy access to 87 or 84 to make it to NYC in any decent amount of time. Anything past exit 18 on the NYS Thruway is just horrid for commuting time.

Montgomery NY is worth checking out depending on your comfort level for a mortgage. The taxes are pretty high but many people who have NYC salaries seem to do quite well there.

I know little of Albany area except that it seems to be cheaper housing than S. NYS and from what I have experienced job hunting the salaries there are pretty low. We applied for a government job there a few years back and we were going to take a 25% cut in pay compared to Newburgh NY.

I heard Walden is a nice place. Is there a Metro or Bus that comes into NYC?

I see that Albany jobs do tend to pay less, but with the lower cost housing it may just average out. The company I currently work for has a location there. I may be able to transfer without losing pay. Just a thought, thanks again.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 PM

5 posts, read 18,238 times
I lived in Gloversville, 40 min. from Albany. Small rural town, nice people, good schools, but there is nothing. I would say Saratoga Sprigns!! it's a really nice area. Very family oriented, great schools, summer time with Jazz music and racetrack.
I came back to Fl, wich I hate. But if I could go back to NY area, it would be Saratoga!
Good Luck!

Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahte View Post
I heard Walden is a nice place. Is there a Metro or Bus that comes into NYC?

I see that Albany jobs do tend to pay less, but with the lower cost housing it may just average out. The company I currently work for has a location there. I may be able to transfer without losing pay. Just a thought, thanks again.
The Metro North RR is right across the river in Beacon, and the bus that goes into NYC is out of Monroe (or at least that is where my father takes it out of) there is a Shortline station in Newburgh but I think their schedule is not as desireable as the Monroe location - or maybe it is just my father's preference. My father usually drives to Monroe - 17 miles- and then hops the bus.

Walden has a lot of nice outskirts and the village itself is on the upswing. It is however a town that is often picked fun of in the HV, even the radio stations pick on Walden and make jokes about some of the people living there. Though I notice it is less often then back in the 90's. I would say choose Montgomery over Walden.

If you can go to Albany without suffering a serious loss in pay, I would consider it. I thought that some of the areas passing through Latham near Scotia AFB were kind of nice but I have never lived there. I have been around Colonie and thought it was kind of nice as well.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:53 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
Albany is a perfect place for diversity seekers. It is very open to Interracial families, to people of color, to people of different faiths.

diversity is great as long as it isnt a fake, lets just get along tolerance thing, but rather a truly active acceptance of people differences.

ex philadelphia has great diversity but every neighborhood except the wealthiest ones are segregated

Old 03-14-2007, 02:26 PM

20 posts, read 35,264 times
Default Diversity in Syracuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahte View Post
WOW! That sounds great. I definitely have to look into the Syracuse area. Thanks for the info
Syracuse has been host to incoming immigrants for a couple centuries... well, almost. Each group has left its mark, and they don't stop coming. City neighborhoods are becoming increasingly mixed, and every other week a new ethnic store or restaurant pops up. Hubby Dave has put up a nice listing of these places: http://davidchu.net/wblog/?p=5

This site also has a nice listing of shops, events and restaurants:
http://www.syrahoo.com/tour/ (broken link)

Of the ethnic festivals I've attended in Syracuse, most of them still annual, these are the ones I can remember: Greek (huge!!), Italian, Polish, Macedonian, Middle Eastern, Latin American, African American (Juneteenth), Vietnamese, German, Irish, Scottish/Celtic.

Syracuse absolutely busts out come good weather - all that pent-up energy turns into these and many other festivals, nearly non-stop every weekend from May through October. There's outdoor music all over the place, too, including twice a week in nearby Liverpool, within two blocks of Onondaga Lake. We've danced under the stars many a night in the heart of Syracuse to the sounds of various bands. With the largest free jazz festival in the northeast every June and the State Fair every August, you'll look forward to a quiet winter by the time it's all over!

Lonnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York