Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 21,194 times

Advertisements

Andes, NY is a great place to live, if you would like to stay in the fifties.
Cell Phones due not work here and Work is non-exsistant the two major
utilitie's run the area as if it where 1950 ( MTC - NYSEG ) Well me and,
my family moved here Two years ago. and we see no change even being
attempted by the elected officials. and was wondering what other people
thought of Andes, NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2006, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 25,883 times
Did ya look around before you moved there? It's not the city, it's not even the suburbs. It's rural farmland in the 21st century, and that's it's appeal to a lot of people. You want cell service, move to the city.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:53 AM

12 posts, read 63,744 times
no cell phones Need one go back to the rottin big apple

Old 03-05-2006, 12:05 PM

12 posts, read 63,744 times
shame on you mr /ms catskill wholesaler LETS LIVE THE GOOD LIFE AND STILL WANT MORE............

Last edited by andes1; 03-05-2006 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-14-2006, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 9,406 times
Default Andes

Hey, good for you for making the move to Andes.
dont let the snobs get you down, it's OK to miss cell phone service and the other things that a bigger city bring.
Best bet? Volunteer. Bet even if you can't fight a fire you could volunteer at the fire hall. it's a great way to meet the locals and connect.
Good luck.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 9,407 times
You can get a signal for your cell phone in the Hess gas station on rt 28 between Margaretvillle and Arkville.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 9,403 times
Default God's Country

I moved up here to get away from cell phones and all the trappings of the Big Apple.

I can relax and unwind and have views that rival the sound of music.

What's wrong with the 50s. Life was simpler and more pleasant then.

If Catskill- Wholesaler misses all of the "convienences" of the city, maybe he should move back to the city and give all of us a break.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 21,194 times
I am not saying the city is better then Andes or the surrounding towns. I am saying that life could be even better here, if we had the same services as a
major city.

Think about this MTC a moderate tele- company charging the 2nd highest rates in the nation if you use MTC and you call from Andes to Delhi you just
made a long distance phone call, The same is true if you call new Kingston.
Their basic cable service with internet will total 105.00 per month, the same
service with cablevision in the "City area" $51.95 per month.

NYSEG well they speak for themselves, with the higest rates on the east cost.

As for the views being from the sound of music - That is true, One of the things I love about this area, But lets look at why. Because the so called
albany officials in their lack of wisdom made an agreement long ago with NYC
to supply water. this killed any chance of major business, in this area so
I will now ask you where are you going to work? Binghamton, Albany, Kingston
where? Why should you have to travel 50+ miles to get to work? when the
national average is 20 to 22.

But as I close this reply please remeber this post not meant to be a insult to anyone or any place, it is simply an exchange of information.

Last edited by Catskill-Wholesaler; 05-21-2006 at 10:48 AM..

Old 01-21-2007, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 25,883 times
Default Come on

So you love the views but you don't like the inconveniences. You want to put the city in the country.

The cell towers look horrible on the buildings in the city and look worse on the 100 foot polls in the suburbs and on the thruway. Is that what you want to see in Andes?

You don't want to drive 50+ miles to work. But to bring companies closer to Andes you need to bring the tall buildings closer. Is that what you want to see in the mountains instead of the views you have now?

Why don't you just go back to the city and get yerself one of those fancy big screen TV's and watch Brokeback Mountain and pretend your in the country.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:26 AM

914 posts, read 2,920,044 times
Isn't Andes one of the towns dealing with the possibilty of having a huge wind farm? You know, those giant wind turbines that companies are so anxious to foist on upstate NY? Those of you who think it's the country, and rural and going to stay that way, may want to read the thread about wind turbines on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York