Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:44 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,475 times

Advertisements

anyone know anything about salem ny?looking to spend summers there
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 01:54 AM

124 posts, read 641,583 times
Salem, NY (and vicinity) is a stunningly BEAUTIFUL village in Washington County, not far from the Vermont border. It is located about 45 minutes northeast of Albany in the Taconic Hills, which are lush and green. The huge Adirondack Mt. wilderness is only a couple of hours north and east of Salem.

Nearby is the birthplace of Grandma Moses, the famous old-age folk painter. A famous Russian Orthodox monestary is nearby as well which produces organic foods and arts and crafts. Other amenities include antique shops, mom & pop businesses on the main street, boating and swimming in nearby lakes, old covered bridges, great fishing on the Battenkill, a famous high-quality trout stream, hiking and a fantastic off-the-beaten path bookshop in an old barn on a quiet dirt road up in the hills! Salem is situated in rolling hill country which is about two-thirds woodland, one-third open pastures, farms and meadows which all make for a Currier & Ives setting. The predominant feel in this region of upstate New York is New England-rural. The people are generally friendly, in that northeastern quiet way, i.e. they are not overly chatty, but once they warm up to you, they are the sweetest peolple you'd want to know and if, say, your car were to break down on a below-zero night, or God forbid a worse thing happens to you, they will be there for you when you need them . In general, they are tolerant of many things and different lifestyles, even if they don't embrace whatever it is that "floats your boat," if you catch my meaning. Another way to sum up the folks of the Salem area (and most other parts of upstate New York and rural New England as well) would be that folks usually have a live-and-let-live attitude! This is in contrast to the experiences I have gone through here where I live presently:--but not for too much longer!--West Virginia. Of course there are friendly and kind folks down here, but there are just enough of the type that "butt into your personal life" and are judgemental and prejudiced down here that can ruin a peaceful country-life that I so treasure. You see, I grew up in interior Maine, which like upstate New York, has that live-and-leave-me-be-and-I'll-do-the-same kind of independent quality that I find appealing.

Some generalizations (of course there'll be exceptions, but these hold true for the most part):

Northeaterners are genuinely friendly in a quiet, "deep" way if they like you and you are good to them. Southerners, in contrast, are friendly in a glib, "superficial" way which may mean you never really know where they stand when a friend in need is needed.

Northeasterners could care less about your religion or lack of it. Southerners, by the very fact that they are entombed in the Bible Belt, care very much about where you stand in terms of religious belief, and will judge you heavily on these matters on the social level. (A big negative in my book, but this may be something that you might like, so the Northeast is not as attuned to this as you'll find in the South.

I hope I have given you an idea of what it is like up there. I am moving to either Vermont or the Adirondacks region of New York State, depending on where my job moves to, so my wife and I are looking forward to spending many day trips to Washington County to drink all this in!!

Old 02-24-2007, 01:56 AM

OOPS...I meant to say that the Adirondacks are north and WEST of Salem, not north and east. If you go north and east of Salem you end up well into Vermont....A great thing come to think of it

Old 02-24-2007, 06:47 AM

44 posts, read 329,663 times
Default Moving back to Washington county

The only person I get along here in NC is my Long Island NY neighbor. She and I "keep it real" as she says...HA! New Englanders are straight talking people, not like the people here who behave the way "they think they should behave" and then slam you behind your back. It's one reason I am returning to the north. I lived in Vermont just on the other side of Salem NY for years and that area was always an appeal for me. It is an area like the post before says is beautiful and the people are easy to get along with. If anyone can tell me about Cambridge NY just south of Salem I would appreciate it (insiders view). I was in Salem this past fall and it looks as though it is going thru a positive change with some nice shops. I ate at a terrific restaurant in the village (name?).

Old 02-24-2007, 09:20 AM

Thanks Pidgett we have looked at PA. Finger Lakes,can take or leave these places.We are looking for a nice place friendly people .The biggest problem I have come across is real estate agents.These people take weeks to get back to you.They use every excuse why they didn't get back to you.As I am thanking you I have been waiting this is day 3 for a realestate agent to get back to me.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:43 PM

44 posts, read 329,663 times
Default From Raleigh NC back to Adirondacks NY

Pidgett....your post is so insightful and true. I have lasted 2 years in the south and going back north for just the same reasons you have sighted. I often have doubts of moving again but you have given me affirmation to go forward with my plans. Thank you! I love New England!!

Old 02-25-2007, 02:32 AM

You're welcome folks!! Hi Tarrant, glad to see you here again....

I hope an insider who knows Cambridge NY in a detailed way can post here with an answer to your question, as I am curious as well. My knowledge of the Washington County area is from having visited this area frequently in the past. It is an under-rated gem, IMO. It has most of the qualities of Vermont w/o the flatlander/touristy instrusion. This may be a good thing or bad, depending on your view!

Stevej64: Regarding real estate agents: Real estate agents work for the SELLER. Period. You as a prospective buyer/renter are secondary as an individual to his/her interests. Of course they need you! But they are not going to rush into calling you back right away, if at all. Sorry to be the bearer of that bit of infom but that's just how it goes. It's not their fault, actually. It is just part of "playing the game," as in any other business. Besides a RE, check out websites run by or phone for pamhlets from C of C's, town halls, NYS tourist board, etc. And, most importantly, come up and visit, and do it often before you ever ever THINK of wanting to spend summers here, as you say your intent is. Why? Because nothing beats meeting with the locals in order to "digest the flavor" of where it is you hope to be a part of. Visit amenities/attractions to determine if they would get your patronage. Get a detailed county map, the kind that has every small road and lane, not just the state routes. Drive down the back roads. Take a good look at the houses, (not just the scenery, which you know will be beautiful.) Are there broken-down trailers with junk on the lawns near where you are looking to settle? Dumps? 4-wheeler ATV hangouts that could disrupt the serenity you are no doubt seeking? This is a rural area with these factors of American rural living. Does this bother you? Or perhaps it may not. I have a lot of this thing in West Virginia to contend with. The Salem NY area has way less of it, as does the New England/Upstate New York in general compared to the rural South, but it does have these negatives of rural living...

Good luck and post often with your questions and let us know the outcome!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:15 AM

15 posts, read 72,065 times
Default salem ny

Living close too salem, ny. It is a rural setting close too glens falls, ny. This was voted the best hometown city in the us. It is about 20 minutes too glens falls up route 29 into argyle and fort edward and hudson falls. It is about 35 minutes too lake george. about 40 minutes too saratoga. It is a small rural area qiuet but close too many wonderfull places too do many exciting events with your family....

Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 AM

15 posts, read 72,065 times
Default cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
The only person I get along here in NC is my Long Island NY neighbor. She and I "keep it real" as she says...HA! New Englanders are straight talking people, not like the people here who behave the way "they think they should behave" and then slam you behind your back. It's one reason I am returning to the north. I lived in Vermont just on the other side of Salem NY for years and that area was always an appeal for me. It is an area like the post before says is beautiful and the people are easy to get along with. If anyone can tell me about Cambridge NY just south of Salem I would appreciate it (insiders view). I was in Salem this past fall and it looks as though it is going thru a positive change with some nice shops. I ate at a terrific restaurant in the village (name?).
My husband is from cambridge it is a small community where many people from the cities visit for alittle r&r. It has just reopened the cambridge hotel home of the pie alamode. It is very close too saratoga minutes away too schulerville.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Pidgett ,What you are telling me is if you had your house up for sale with a RE agent, and someone knocked on your door told you they have been trying to get in touch with your RE agent for 3 days and they have NOT gotten back to you.Tell me what would you say to the RE agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York