Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 07:10 AM

4 posts, read 19,310 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband is with the United States Border Patrol. We will be relocating to the Champlain/Plattsburgh area in March. This is a big move for our family, but an exciting one. Earlier inteh year we thought a move to Buffalo was in our future, so we know very little about Champlain. We have of course been looking on the net for information. Would be interested to hear what others have to say about the area. We have two small boys (4 and 2) and I am a teacher.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 07:47 AM

160 posts, read 564,607 times
Move here! My family and I did last spring and haven't regretted it. We were able to take advantage of the lower housing prices here than downstate, where we lived before, and that's made the adjustment easier. The Plattsburgh city schools and rec have been great for our kids, 12 and 7. We've even been able to deal with the cold snap. Luckily, this area doesn't get the lake-effect snows of western New York.
Good luck!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:16 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Hi, Seesko. My husband works for what used to be Immigration in Champlain, and we live just outside Plattsburgh itself - about a 1/2 hour commute on I87. Champlain is a nice, small town located very near Lake Champlain and, obviously right on the Canadian border. The area is a good place to raise children, but, like anywhere else, does have its problems. You can find some decent housing in the area. As far as schools, the Peru district is usually considered the best in the area. You definitely should do some homework there. Best of luck; I hope I helped you at least a little bit.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Please don't flame me my friends from Plattsburgh, but you may also want to consider the Lake Champlain Islands in Vermont. It's gorgeous out there. You'll have school choice at the high school level as there is no high school on the islands. Alburgh would be a good choice.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:18 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
I have to admit vter is right. That is, if you like rural. ;-)

Sorry, vter. Couldn't resist.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:28 PM

Thank you for the replies. We are very excited about the move. I grew up in a very small town in PA and my husband grew up in Erie, PA. We are currently in Harlingen, Texas (near Brownsville). We are so happy about returning to the North. We miss winter (ask us that again next year, right?!)
Champlain looks absolutly beautiful. We thought Plattsburgh would be a better choice because of the kids. Do you all agree? I definatly do not mind rural living. The school system here is horrible (and I teach in it), so I am sure we will be thrilled with the schools there. Although, from what I gather I may have problems finding a job.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:06 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Question Teachers?

Hi...........Just wanted to ask how long you have been a teacher and what degree you have. I think there are some districts that like to hire experience but others don't want you if you already have the master's degree (required in NY state to teach). You have 5 years if you do not have a master's already to acquire it, however. Reason, of course, being money. They have to pay you more money according to the big union contracts if you already have the degree. IF you move up here and actively pursue some of the school districts other than the city (seems to be a lot more competitive than the other districts because I believe their pay is the best) this summer early and maybe don't mind driving a bit, you may be just fine. Also, I would be willing to bet that starting salary up here trumps any starting salary in TX (I am from the south also). Schools up here are amazingly wonderful. You will not have some of the issues you have to deal with down there.........If you get the chance to video a lesson that you are teaching and bring it with you, that seems to be a good move also, just so they can look at it and see you in action.............I believe that one of the schools up that way has a great track record..........NCCS (Northeastern Clinton Central School) but that the other (NAC) Northern Adirondack Central School isn't quite as good. The first has more Wyeth kids and border/immigration/customs children.......Teacher turnover is much less at one than the other..........

Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the information Plattsburgher! I do not have a masters degree! I have been teaching for seven years. I taught 6th grade for four years and fourth for three. That is a great idea about video taping a lesson. I will try to do that.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Thumbs up There are so many great elementary schools.......

and the Middle School up here (the Plattsburgh City District) is absolutely amazing. The teachers stay an extra hour after the 2:40 dismissal to help the kids if needed. 6th grade here in New York is not elementary; it is middle school (6th, 7th, 8th). My younger daughter has a disability and she was in a talent show, did band solos, was in chorus, worked hard and made good grades, got all the help a child could ever ask for. There are so many great elementary schools up here. I believe you have 5 years to acquire your masters degree. You could always sub..........this area is desperate for good subs, but you don't get the state benefits that you get when you are hired permanently and believe me the state union for teachers in this state is very powerful. Teachers up here are paid a decent salary, get a week off next week (winter break), Christmas week, Easter week but don't get finished until the end of June. It is probably a whole different world than what you are used to. Because summers up here are short and spectacular, people really live for the summer, so school doesn't start until the day after Labor Day........not any of this starting school in crazy August like it is in a lot of places..........I love the school schedules up here. It makes a lot of sense. Kids and teachers get breaks, can go away somewhere warm, visit with family, recoup from the flu, catch up on work, then regroup after a week and start refreshed. I can't imagine having a school schedule any other way after being up here. Just wanted to mention that in case you didn't know..........There is a website for Plattsburgh City School that is fantastic, but don't really know about the other districts here in Clinton County. You might check it out. There are also a couple of Catholic private schools here also, but of course, they don't pay as well. Some people use those to gain a foothold into the system though.............? Just more thoughts........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York