Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 04:31 AM

117 posts, read 416,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Doing a quick search on the realtor website:

Warwick:
$369,899
3 Bed, 2.5 Bath
2,060 Sq. Ft.
1.5 Acres
Built 1987 - pretty house and property and it includes 5K cash back and lawn equipment with sale

Washingtonville:
$388,000
3 Bed, 3 Bath
2,800 Sq. Ft.
0.62 Acres
5 year old home (enough bathrooms for you troya??? )

Monroe:
$399,900
4 Bed, 3 Bath
1,967 Sq. Ft.
0.6 Acres
This is brand new built!

All these have 2 car garages.

I personally have not written off Monroe as an OK place to live yet. I had several friends go through the Monroe Woodbury School district and they did just fine. I think downtown Monroe is quite pretty near the green with the lake. They also have a wonderful Italian deli...

Surprisingly enough, a LOT of the Hudson Valley schools are having a little turmoil with drugs and fights these last few years. The main difference is that some districts have been more open about these problems than others to try to protect their reputation. I doubt that any of these schools districts I mentioned have risen to the problems NFA had back in the early 90's...but if they have I sure would like to know about it!

And you can always homeschool or private school. Southern NY is LOADED with great schools.. These last homes I pulled up are way under your budget, and if you decide to look further north you should be able to find even cheaper schools!

NFA problems in the 90"s? How about the riots in the 70's the swat teams had to be called on a regular basis. That school has always had problems, please don't ever buy a house in that school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 02:52 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,097,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headed4nc View Post
NFA problems in the 90"s? How about the riots in the 70's the swat teams had to be called on a regular basis. That school has always had problems, please don't ever buy a house in that school district.
My memories are of the 90's when they had to close the whole third floor due to drug dealers. They had multiple stabbings and the kids were pulling the fire alarms during basketball games and stabbing other students.. They have "improved" over the years though - but not enough to where I would want to send a kid there.

I could not agree more about STILL staying away from NFA. My MIL's kids are in the Newburgh district, and she is quite naive to the issues there. I am afraid what is going to happen to the oldest when he goes to Jr high next year. They are very, very sheltered kids.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:13 PM

117 posts, read 416,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
My memories are of the 90's when they had to close the whole third floor due to drug dealers. They had multiple stabbings and the kids were pulling the fire alarms during basketball games and stabbing other students.. They have "improved" over the years though - but not enough to where I would want to send a kid there.

I could not agree more about STILL staying away from NFA. My MIL's kids are in the Newburgh district, and she is quite naive to the issues there. I am afraid what is going to happen to the oldest when he goes to Jr high next year. They are very, very sheltered kids.

Oh gosh!! North Junior High? They need to shut down NFA, once and for all. It's too bad it's a beautiful school with lots of advantages some of the smaller districts don't have, but if they cannot get the school under control enough already. My parents took me out and sent me to Valley Central in Montgomery back in the 70's.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:39 PM

42 posts, read 139,111 times
Sorry, I don't have any info on those towns but I'm also moving from Florida back to NY (no place like it)!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:49 AM

7 posts, read 40,815 times
Default orange co

always consider 2 bathrooms --need a backup in life and this is a major one just in case there is a backup...

Old 10-16-2015, 05:02 PM

16 posts, read 26,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troya View Post
Hello first of all i want to thank the person who started this web site, has lots of great information.
I'de like to know more information on Orange County. I have two teenagers starting HS. I'de like to know where the best HS are, how is the comute to NYC, house prices and taxes. I'de like to find a 3 bedroom house with a least 2 bathrooms ( have two girls, 2 bathrooms is a must).
What towns in Orange County does anyone recommend the most. Miss family too much, and the heat down here in Florida is just sometimes to much.

I know prices are really high up, max budget for my wife and I for a house is no more than $425,000. (Sorry if I am asking for too much information.)

Thank you vey much in advance for any information.
I live in Northern Bergen County, NJ and highly recommend you don't live here. Cost of living is high and we are headed to the West Coast of FL off Sarasota, waterfront property in 2016. We can't take the winters anymore, we both have arthritis at not all that old, the weather affects it a lot, rain or snow, summer or winter.

I'm retired from the Port Authority Police. Living in northern NJ in Bergen County it took me 20 minutes at 5 AM to get to the George Washington Bridge. Schools are excellent in Bergen County but it costs way too much in property taxes.

You will have a longer commute from the Orange County, NY area. If you're leaving early like I did you should be ok.

Be prepared for very high state taxes and home taxes no matter where you go in comparison to FL. I will save at least $16,000 a year moving to FL in income tax and home taxes, even going waterfront. We've saved since youngsters to make this move and are finally working closely on it.

If you went into the Ringwood, NJ area, prices are MUCH lower and most towns are off Route 287 which runs you right into Route 208 to Route 4. If you're set on NY state then ignore what I said.

I highly recommend you have a 4WD or AWD vehicle for commuting. I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland I use in the winters that I will sell before we head south. No need for it there. Our newer Crossover is AWD and my wife drives that which will be fine north or south.

Don't expect NY to be "cool" in the summers. It does get warm and humid.

Best of luck with your move!

Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 PM

93,591 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post31 View Post
I live in Northern Bergen County, NJ and highly recommend you don't live here. Cost of living is high and we are headed to the West Coast of FL off Sarasota, waterfront property in 2016. We can't take the winters anymore, we both have arthritis at not all that old, the weather affects it a lot, rain or snow, summer or winter.

I'm retired from the Port Authority Police. Living in northern NJ in Bergen County it took me 20 minutes at 5 AM to get to the George Washington Bridge. Schools are excellent in Bergen County but it costs way too much in property taxes.

You will have a longer commute from the Orange County, NY area. If you're leaving early like I did you should be ok.

Be prepared for very high state taxes and home taxes no matter where you go in comparison to FL. I will save at least $16,000 a year moving to FL in income tax and home taxes, even going waterfront. We've saved since youngsters to make this move and are finally working closely on it.

If you went into the Ringwood, NJ area, prices are MUCH lower and most towns are off Route 287 which runs you right into Route 208 to Route 4. If you're set on NY state then ignore what I said.

I highly recommend you have a 4WD or AWD vehicle for commuting. I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland I use in the winters that I will sell before we head south. No need for it there. Our newer Crossover is AWD and my wife drives that which will be fine north or south.

Don't expect NY to be "cool" in the summers. It does get warm and humid.

Best of luck with your move!

That original post was from 2006.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York