Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:42 PM

18 posts, read 52,214 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I'm retiring from the NYPD and am looking to relocate to the upstate adirondack region from Long Island. I have a wife and 13 year old daughter. We're looking for a semi-rural town in which we can find a 4 bed house on 1+ acres for around $250,000-$300,000. Naturally a decent high school and activities for a 13 year old are important. She is an avid dancer (5 days a week since kindergarten). Distance from NYC is NOT important. Hope never to see the place again LOL!

Last edited by Paul3086; 06-04-2008 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:23 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
There are two distinctly different sections of the Adirondacks, the Eastern half and the Western half. The Eastern half is more populated and more sophisticated than the other side and the people come from different parts of the state as transplants or seasonal cabin dwellers.

In the East you will find it to be more expensive around the Olympic Village, lots of nice shops, skiing, and with Paul Smiths college located in another cute town not far away. More year around activity I would presume and of course closer to Albany. The food will be more upscale here. Either of these two towns will probably less shocking to your daughter who is use to more civilization.

In the West you'll find hunters and fishermen and the forest ranger school at Wanakeena, more wildlife too. I don't know if there's dance but there is skiing in both sections. There's an artists co-op and museum at Old Forge which is quite active, a movie theatre, a couple of nice wilderness boy scout camps closeby, and the seasonal water park.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:59 AM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times
Just to throw another possibilty at you..buy a suburban/rural place near a medium size town. Spend the rest of your $$ on a weekend place up in the Adirondacks. I live in Tioga county. It's fairly rural. I love the Adirondacks. I go up there whenever time/money allows. But, the rural parts of the southern tier(Chemung, Tioga, Broome, Chenango) have been a relocation spot for more than a few prior NYPD/FD types. Why? Well: you can buy rural at a great price; within 30-45 min of the stuff you might need to get to...stores, schools, all the medical specialties and hospitals...dance instruction-schools for your daughter, etc..Plus, if necessary, NYC is a just a ~3 hour drive away. Just something for you to think about as you plan "your escape".

Old 06-05-2008, 01:16 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Yeah, I was thinking that myself. Your daughter may not be too pleased with you if the hottest thing going on on a Saturday night is to go watch the black bears forage through the town dump. (More likely in the western half though not far fetched anywhere in the mtns)

You might want to check out something just to the north of Albany yet still on its fringes for accessibility to activities and shopping. Clifton park, Saratoga, or even Glens Falls. Ps- Be aware that there is still not cell phone service on some stretches of the northway to Montreal.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:11 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Lightbulb Another suggestion?

I was reading some of the posts and just thought I would mention that half of Pburgh seems to have come here (from college, post 9/11, relatives, lifestyle, etc. from LI)...........There is definitely a ballet company (who has instructors come down from Montreal periodically) and who performs the Nutcracker here every year without fail. I believe there are at least two dance studios (Guibords and Langlois) who have been here forever and teach
everything from hip-hop to ballet to ballroom to tap, whatever. Just didn't want you to think there are no dance classes here.............This is the weekend for one of the groups recitals and there is so much interest that they have to split all the groups up and have them perform on different days/nights this weekend for the end of the year performance. My older daughter took dance for her high school play choreography and some of her teachers here were trained in NYC. The younger daughter has done hip hop and my friend and her daughter are performing a mother daughter routine tomorrow night. I think you might be able to get a much more sane lifestyle, but also keep what is important to your daughter..............It's a pretty good combo up here..........plus Burlington has lots of theatre and we have summer theatre (from NYC), and of course you get Montreal and Lake Placid within about an hour's drive............think it is worth considering for a compromise area.......................Good luck!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:05 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default Saratoga & Surrounding Areas

I would recommend Saratoga and the outlying villages (Schuylerville etc.) Schools are very good and Saratoga Springs has cultural activities including dance for your family. Brampton Woods is a development, but with a rural feel, costs begin about $260K. C&S are builders who are very good and HONEST.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:31 PM

18 posts, read 52,214 times
Many thanks to all of you. I will have to do some intense researching as well as visiting this year. We do not plan to move until next summer. Thanks again.
Paul

Old 06-09-2008, 06:00 PM

53 posts, read 141,130 times
stay away from middletown. its like the bronx of orange county. same nyc gangs and problems just on a smaller scale.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 AM

663 posts, read 2,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Just to throw another possibilty at you..buy a suburban/rural place near a medium size town. Spend the rest of your $$ on a weekend place up in the Adirondacks. I live in Tioga county. It's fairly rural. I love the Adirondacks. I go up there whenever time/money allows. But, the rural parts of the southern tier(Chemung, Tioga, Broome, Chenango) have been a relocation spot for more than a few prior NYPD/FD types. Why? Well: you can buy rural at a great price; within 30-45 min of the stuff you might need to get to...stores, schools, all the medical specialties and hospitals...dance instruction-schools for your daughter, etc..Plus, if necessary, NYC is a just a ~3 hour drive away. Just something for you to think about as you plan "your escape".
I second this. With a special nod to Broome County. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:02 AM

623 posts, read 1,816,737 times
Check out Onondaga county--close enough to Adirondacks for those weekend getaways but close enough to civilization that your daughter can have a social life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York