Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,295 times

Advertisements

All of these "windmill farms" have to be approved by the local government authorities after proper public hearings. That's when you have to speak up about them, if you're so inclined.

I've seen the many windmills in Madison County and they're a lot more picturesque than all the cell phone towers, wouldn't everyone agree? And these windmills are a lot better looking, for example, than the cooling towers of the Nine Mile One nuclear power plant in Scriba, outside Oswego. And a lot less threatening to think about.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skadanny View Post
All of these "windmill farms" have to be approved by the local government authorities after proper public hearings. That's when you have to speak up about them, if you're so inclined.

I've seen the many windmills in Madison County and they're a lot more picturesque than all the cell phone towers, wouldn't everyone agree? And these windmills are a lot better looking, for example, than the cooling towers of the Nine Mile One nuclear power plant in Scriba, outside Oswego. And a lot less threatening to think about.
I wonder if anyone has ever thought of designing windmills that are a little more visually interesting (like the traditional ones in Holland etc). So, that they don't just look like a propeller on a poll.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
I think this looks cool ... from Denmark

From Canada:

And I completely agree ... these are a heck of a lot more attractive than cell towers. I knew a farmer who actually received a check each month from the electric company to reimburse him the difference between how much his wind turbine generated and how much electricity he used on his farm.

It's a great start in clean energy.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 25,452 times
I think the traditional windmills you're thinking about in Holland were built for grinding wheat, not producing electrical power.

I drive by the Windmills in Madison County NY on a weekly basis and enjoy the view knowing that the power they generate is for my benefit without the emissions. Would I feel that way if I had to look at them every evening off of my front porch? Maybe not. I know that if I wanted to install a wind turbine on my 50 acres outside of 'Cuse the mcmansion owners on the top of the hill next door would start shooting lawsuits at my backdoor with their custom made waterballon slingshots.

One way or the other we (the U.S.) need to develop a long-term, comprehensive energy policy that incorporates a variety of energy sources. Remember Hoover Dam? Guess what, Lake Mead is dried up (as a result of crappy water use policies) and they only run one out of 4 or 5 huge hydro-turbines that were built to power hundreds of thousands of homes/businesses.

Unfortunately, our government representatives don't have the constituent support to put in place a viable (and therefore controversial) energy policy in the face of huge corporate lobbying. Time to write a letter, don't you think?

Old 09-01-2006, 01:43 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,625 times
Is that true? I had no idea that it was that bad.
I guess we will have to divert the water melting from the polar ice cap into lake Mead to get those generators turning.
My thoughts about making the turbines more attractive, had to do not with people who are inclined to like them based on their function, but to mitigate the reaction of many who don't want them around because of their appearance.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 25,452 times
[quote=mhogan10010;77987]Is that true? I had no idea that it was that bad.
I guess we will have to divert the water melting from the polar ice cap into lake Mead to get those generators turning.

LOL!

I agree - an "attractive" solution to wind farms may be in order. I'd rather see us alter our view of what we consider attractive based on the functionality of the design, though. They always seem to be white - maybe a change in color would be a good start?!?! Rainbow colored for the liberal neighborhoods and camoflage for the conservative areas!

Old 09-03-2006, 09:01 AM

58 posts, read 416,934 times
Default Wind Turbines

I would rather look at a Wind Turbine on my property than a Nuclear Reactor's Dome, but having said this I can't see the country as a whole getting it's source of power from these turbines, rural is one place, NYC is another.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:04 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamter View Post
I would rather look at a Wind Turbine on my property than a Nuclear Reactor's Dome, but having said this I can't see the country as a whole getting it's source of power from these turbines, rural is one place, NYC is another.
True, but we have to start somewhere.

I think they are a beautiful reminder that we can harness our own clean energy and not rely on oil from other countries.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 13,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamter View Post
I don't know of any proposals to build and wind farms in NYC, just upstate. The reason they are being built upstate is because thoes locations are closer to a grid connection, than the middle of North Dakota for example. Electrical Transmission is a large cost in the development of wind farms.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:32 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,996 times
WOW, this debate is typical of the he-said she-said that is going on up here. I live on a targeted ridge, very close to the original poster, and frankly, if you are not being threatened by these beasts it is hard to understand how we feel.

First, the NIMBY of the "rich-folks" who drive gas guzzlers, is simply not fair and part of the energy company propaganda.

Second, the turbines, NOT WINDMILLS, will not provide ONE OUNCE of energy to Delaware county-yup, it goes into the downstate grid. And, local job creation is BS, maybe one or two per town at best.

Third, the poor folks whom have signed leases signed a piece of tiolet paper. The agreements take all the responsibility off the energy company that will MAKE MILLIONS off the backs of the farmers, and the farmers that signed leases are wholly responsible for the monsters. Granted the company's will maintain the metal beasts, but decommissioning or any NEGATIVE event caused by the turbine is the LANDOWNERS responsibility. Most of the landowners here admitted that NO LAWYER looked at the document, and they themselves DID NOT understand what they signed.

Fourth-GREEN ENERGY my butt! What about the significant costs and the amount of fossil fuels necessary for the construction, transport and erection of the towers, as well as maintenance. For these turbines to be built, 4-acres MUST be clear cut for each concrete pad (500 tons of concrete for ONE pad I believe) then there are the roads that must be built (minimum of 30 ft wide) up to the site for constuction.

Then because of the unpredictability of wind power generation, other types of power plants with the equivalent capacity of the turbines must be kept on line, at all times, to “even out” the dips in production, keeping the amount of power flowing through the grid consistent-these are not "free" nor green power plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York