Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 07:53 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,057,332 times

Advertisements

I have asked the health Dept exactly HOW the quarantine works, but all they do is send me the form letter describing the rules.

I would like to know exactly how it works. Hopefully there are people here who have gone through it & can relate their experience.

What happens when I board a plane (in Florida)? Do they look to see if I filled out NY forms & have the proof of a Neg test?

What happens when I get OFF the plane at JFK? Is there a booth or something where I have to report & show them my proof of negative test and provide info about where I am going? Or do I just go on my way to the pickup point?

Am I allowed to be picked up by a friend or relative? If so, that's not being in quarantine.

Am I allowed to take an Uber? Again, that is not Quarantine.

Can I take tram to rent a car - that is creating contact with a very lot of people.

I have to get out to Holtsville somehow.

Once I get to a hotel, I understand I must stay quarantined for 3 days. Do they show up & check to make sure I am in my room? Would I be allowed out of the room to, for example, do laundry? Get breakfast at hotel buffet? Would I be allowed to go walking alone in a nature preserve? Am I not allowed to have my room serviced by housekeeping?

And then how do I get tested on Day 4 without leaving the hotel room since I am in quarantine?

This whole scheme seems very illogical and impossible to comply, but I want to be able to see my newborn grandchild!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 08:18 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,840,366 times
Nobody knows and nobody will give you an answer because nobody wants to be held liable if something were to happen. If something were to happen it would always come back onto you. If it were me I'd avoid flying at all cost and just drive to wherever I need to go.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Nobody knows and nobody will give you an answer because nobody wants to be held liable if something were to happen. If something were to happen it would always come back onto you. If it were me I'd avoid flying at all cost and just drive to wherever I need to go.
IF I could, I would. But I'm not able to drive more than about 4 - 5 hours a day right now. That would make it almost a week's trip, and then stops in hotels & restaurants along the way may be as bad as flying. At least one thing I know well is the Cabin Air filtration systems in planes - very effective.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:52 AM

6,659 posts, read 3,294,857 times
The only thing that I can add, that MIGHT be helpful, is this....I have a good friend who lives in Rochester, and one of his sons lives in Indiana. My friend recently went to Indiana, by plane, to visit. Here's how, more or less, his experience unfolded.....

Friend is in his late 80s, so efficiently getting between gates in the terminal and planes on the tarmac is tricky for him, so his DIL, who makes the reservations, arranges in advance, for a "sky-cap" to transport him within the terminal. On the return trip from Indiana, after de-planing, the "sky cap" met him at the gate, then immediately took him to the "registration desk", where they took his name, address, phone number, and place where he visited.

Beginning the next day, and for the following 14 days, my friend received phone calls, checking up on him, to make sure he was "self quarantining"......at home.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
The only thing that I can add, that MIGHT be helpful, is this....I have a good friend who lives in Rochester, and one of his sons lives in Indiana. My friend recently went to Indiana, by plane, to visit. Here's how, more or less, his experience unfolded.....

Friend is in his late 80s, so efficiently getting between gates in the terminal and planes on the tarmac is tricky for him, so his DIL, who makes the reservations, arranges in advance, for a "sky-cap" to transport him within the terminal. On the return trip from Indiana, after de-planing, the "sky cap" met him at the gate, then immediately took him to the "registration desk", where they took his name, address, phone number, and place where he visited.

Beginning the next day, and for the following 14 days, my friend received phone calls, checking up on him, to make sure he was "self quarantining"......at home.

THANKS - that's helpful. UGH - a Registration desk in Rochester airport is one thing - I cannot imagine what it will be like at JFK! I expect something of a mob scene. Did they call cellphone, or landline where he was in quarantine? My Cell has a NY area code if that matters.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:58 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,558,191 times
A close relative has flown back and forth to Florida a few times during the "Quarantine State" rule period. They were provided a form to fill out. Upon arriving in NY, there was no one to take the form. That was all under the old 14-day quarantine period.

The rules are arbitrary and vague. All you can do is read the rules and follow as best as you can.

I have heard stories of contact tracers calling people. Never heard of anyone making an in-person check for compliance.

Uber, laundry, picked up by a friend... do what you think is reasonable within the confines of the information provided. If you land in JFK, you obviously cannot be expected to wrap yourself in a bubble and walk to your quarantine location. The rules are written by idiots for whom the rules do not apply. They are not supposed to be practical or make sense.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:18 AM

6,659 posts, read 3,294,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
THANKS - that's helpful. UGH - a Registration desk in Rochester airport is one thing - I cannot imagine what it will be like at JFK! I expect something of a mob scene. Did they call cellphone, or landline where he was in quarantine? My Cell has a NY area code if that matters.
My friend only had a landline, so that's what they used to contact him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York