Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 09:05 AM

94,933 posts, read 126,385,384 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting list that was brought to my attention in another forum: https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-c...cle-ownership/

There are likely factors such as not needing a vehicle or it makes things worse, smaller city footprint, very good to decent walkability, the percentage of college students and immigrants/refugees, among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 09:19 AM

Similar list: https://www.governing.com/topics/tra...ds-cities.html

Another past related list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rian_commuters

and another one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nsit_ridership

Old 11-09-2020, 03:42 PM

6,721 posts, read 3,359,796 times
I'm not sure about today, as I've been out of the workforce for a while (retired), but in the past, when Kodak and Xerox were going strong, each with multiple locations around the Rochester area, I don't see how you couldn't be without a car, if you worked for them, as they frequently shifted employees back and forth between those locations.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I'm not sure about today, as I've been out of the workforce for a while (retired), but in the past, when Kodak and Xerox were going strong, each with multiple locations around the Rochester area, I don't see how you couldn't be without a car, if you worked for them, as they frequently shifted employees back and forth between those locations.
Perhaps many would walk to work, if possible and depending on the location. A lot of this could be due to people that work at city colleges/universities and even medical facilities for the Upstate cities, among other factors.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps many would walk to work, if possible and depending on the location. A lot of this could be due to people that work at city colleges/universities and even medical facilities for the Upstate cities, among other factors.
I understand what you're saying, but again, in my personal experience, as well as the experiences of a couple of my friends, I/they were transferred between our job locations, on a regular basis. Therefore while we MAY have worked at a location that was available by public transportation, that didn't mean we spent all of our time there. We were moved back and forth between our respective employer's sites, on a random basis.

And also consider that both Kodak, and especially Xerox, had sites "out in the burbs", Kodak, with their Elmgrove Road facility, and Xerox, with their Webster site. There was not, to the best of my knowledge, what you could describe as "regular" bus service to these locations.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but again, in my personal experience, as well as the experiences of a couple of my friends, I/they were transferred between our job locations, on a regular basis. Therefore while we MAY have worked at a location that was available by public transportation, that didn't mean we spent all of our time there. We were moved back and forth between our respective employer's sites, on a random basis.

And also consider that both Kodak, and especially Xerox, had sites "out in the burbs", Kodak, with their Elmgrove Road facility, and Xerox, with their Webster site. There was not, to the best of my knowledge, what you could describe as "regular" bus service to these locations.
Keep in mind that this is in regards to the city propers. So, a lot of this is likely due to say people that work at say U of R or colleges/universities in the cities listed.

Some of this could be due to immigrant/refugee families. Some of this may be due to college students. So, there are other factors to consider with the list and others posted.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:44 AM

37,548 posts, read 40,093,420 times
Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse all have some of the basic starting elements for making a decent public transit rail system (with Buffalo actually having an operating one). It'd be good if the new administration makes a favorable turn towards funding. Lord knows NYS sends more than its fair share of tax revenue to the federal government and hasn't gotten anything close to the corresponding level of federal spending and investment in return to the vast majority of other states.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse all have some of the basic starting elements for making a decent public transit rail system (with Buffalo actually having an operating one). It'd be good if the new administration makes a favorable turn towards funding. Lord knows NYS sends more than its fair share of tax revenue to the federal government and hasn't gotten anything close to the corresponding level of federal spending and investment in return to the vast majority of other states.
Rochester HAD one. It originated in the middle of the city, and ran eastward. I didn't live here at the time, but I seem to recall that it ran out as far as Fairport. However, it was abandoned in the mid 1950s, and it's path was turned into I490....

Old 11-10-2020, 02:59 PM

37,548 posts, read 40,093,420 times
Quote:
Rochester HAD one. It originated in the middle of the city, and ran eastward. I didn't live here at the time, but I seem to recall that it ran out as far as Fairport. However, it was abandoned in the mid 1950s, and it's path was turned into I490....
So did Syracuse! They don't have such now, but they both have some of the infrastructure in regards to ROW in place still if not tracks nor rolling stock. It'll be a pretty large investment to get them back up and running though it likely wouldn't be as massive as completely starting from scratch.

One thing to note is that FRA reforms now allow for rolling stock that's a lot lighter (so more efficient, generally faster, and have less wear on brakes and track) and closer to European norms such that there is less need for alteration to make them allowed to operate in the US.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-10-2020 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-10-2020, 03:02 PM

Syracuse used to have OnTrack, which was a heavy rail one line train route. It was the smallest city to have a transit route and it ran from 1994 to 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnTrack

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/ar...hen-rail-fails

Also, here is some information about Rochester’s Subway, which ran from 1927 until 1956: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_subway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York