Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 05:43 PM

143 posts, read 111,734 times

Advertisements

Coffee shops, pizza joints, and bars do not count as restaurants for most people. Yes, there are several places to eat but this factors in. The traffic congestion and college atmosphere are not a selling point either. Kingston? The city that just had their mall close. But they still have Walmart and Target if that's any consolation. Ask anyone who lives in Kingston what they think of Kingston. Not exactly a a destination city these days.
Much better off in Dutchess county. Plenty of major shopping centers on Rt 9. Beacon has a great main street, and there is the quaint town of Cold Spring to the south. Pretty little village of Fishkill is nearby. Head north out of of Poughkeepsie and you have several old estates you can visit/hike along the Hudson river, and the beautiful town of Rhinebeck is a must see. Also, you are not far from great shopping over in Danbury Ct. which has a huge mall and food store chains like Wholefoods and Trader Joes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 05:47 PM

Wanted to mention also that SUNY is on break for most of January so depending when you visit, you may not experience the "real" New Paltz. It really does make a big difference.

Last edited by mycatz; 12-31-2019 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 12-31-2019, 06:53 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
Coffee shops, pizza joints, and bars do not count as restaurants for most people. Yes, there are several places to eat but this factors in. The traffic congestion and college atmosphere are not a selling point either. Kingston? The city that just had their mall close. But they still have Walmart and Target if that's any consolation. Ask anyone who lives in Kingston what they think of Kingston. Not exactly a a destination city these days.
Much better off in Dutchess county. Plenty of major shopping centers on Rt 9. Beacon has a great main street, and there is the quaint town of Cold Spring to the south. Pretty little village of Fishkill is nearby. Head north out of of Poughkeepsie and you have several old estates you can visit/hike along the Hudson river, and the beautiful town of Rhinebeck is a must see. Also, you are not far from great shopping over in Danbury Ct. which has a huge mall and food store chains like Wholefoods and Trader Joes.
If you’re discounting all those, then you’ve still got a few dozen restaurants in New Paltz even if not all of them are tableclothed sitdowns. If you are saying that any place that serves coffee, pizza, or alcohol isn’t allowed to qualify as a restaurant, then sure, but that’s an odd restriction.

The mall isn’t what makes Kingston interesting—its the oddly three mini-downtowns that it has. Kingston is the most appealing city to me on that stretch of the Hudson on either side of the river and over the years I’ve known several people who have moved up there. However, it’s a somewhat bigger city, so maybe not the level of quaint being asked for.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you’re discounting all those, then you’ve still got a few dozen restaurants in New Paltz even if not all of them are tableclothed sitdowns. If you are saying that any place that serves coffee, pizza, or alcohol isn’t allowed to qualify as a restaurant, then sure, but that’s an odd restriction.

The mall isn’t what makes Kingston interesting—its the oddly three mini-downtowns that it has. Kingston is the most appealing city to me on that stretch of the Hudson on either side of the river and over the years I’ve known several people who have moved up there. However, it’s a somewhat bigger city, so maybe not the level of quaint being asked for.
I never meant that a mall made anything interesting, it's just a nice convenience to have nearby when one needs to shop. The point is that not many businesses survive in Kingston anymore, and that's not a good thing.
Three mini-downtowns? Steer clear of that midtown one-it's where all the shootings occur. I will say that that uptown and Rondout area are decent.
I think the OP just has to visit the area and see for themselves. They know exactly what they are looking for.
They should definitely check out restaurants in the Rhinebeck area though as it has become a destination in the last few years.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:33 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
I never meant that a mall made anything interesting, it's just a nice convenience to have nearby when one needs to shop. The point is that not many businesses survive in Kingston anymore, and that's not a good thing.
Three mini-downtowns? Steer clear of that midtown one-it's where all the shootings occur. I will say that that uptown and Rondout area are decent.
I think the OP just has to visit the area and see for themselves. They know exactly what they are looking for.
They should definitely check out restaurants in the Rhinebeck area though as it has become a destination in the last few years.
I see. There’s certainly a pretty decent amount of shopping in and around Kingston and there’s quite a bit that differentiates itself from big box and chain stores. I don’t understand what you mean by not many businesses survive in Kingston anymore since I don’t know what you’re qualifying as many.

Midtown is definitely the roughest of the three mini downtowns, but it seems to be getting better. It’s also not particularly rough. What I think is unique is that Kingston has three downtowns like that and in such close quarters with different vibes to them.

OP traveling around the region and looking before committing to a retirement in any of the aforementioned cities is a must, and likely the OP will do so.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:27 AM

34 posts, read 27,024 times
It would be a no from me. Too much traffic and it’s pretty expensive.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:54 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,256,579 times
If you want to be close(er) to your daughter, someone up thread mentioned Nyack. It has the atmosphere you might be looking for with more senior focused activities. Piermont, town next door, has condos and townhouses at different price points that are mostly owned by empty nesters. The restaurants appeal to your age group, yoga studios for the over 50 set, live music, calm and peaceful with Hudson river views. 45 minutes to midtown without traffic.
I visit New Paltz to pick up cases of wine at a vineyard that I like and visit mountain brauhaus restaurant (a MUST). The one reason to move their is for mountain climbing.
The main street is honkytonk IMHO. Dutchess county is just too far and isolating to live full time as a retiree. I wouldn't even consider a summer house. There are much better options.
I might even consider Hampton Bays on long island to be closer to your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York