Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 13,732 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from southern ME to eastern NY. We looked at the Albany area, & liked it. However, my husband is having trouble getting transfered there. There is a position available in poughkeepsie but I really don't know much about that area. Are there areas nearby that would be good for a young family? My husband is willing to commute about 45 min if needed. Is there stuff in that area for my husband & I to do? What about family activities? I love to shop & eat out. There is NOTHING where we are now & I can't stand it. I don't want to move to more of the same. How bad has the cost of living gotten? The median home price here is over $300K & over $400k near my family in MA. To me, that is insanity. There is more to life than work & money. I have heard good things about New Paltz, but I am thinking of being more north, maybe Saugerties. I consider myself slightly liberal leaning & want to be around other's like myself. Please help, I am so lost & confused. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 01:49 PM

136 posts, read 778,683 times
There's definitely shopping and many restaurants within 45 minutes of Poughkeepsie. In Saugerties, you could go down to Kingston to shopping centers in well under 30 minutes, or perhaps up to Albany for more serious shopping in an hour or less.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:03 AM

502 posts, read 1,741,140 times
I believe Poughkeepsie is also in range of the metro system meaning that you could catch a relatively cheap train into NY City which opens up your "things to do" and "liberal nature" to just about an unlimited array of possibilities.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 PM

34 posts, read 208,090 times
new paltz is very nice. rhinebeck is also very mice. you can't go wrong with either of those towns.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 AM

200 posts, read 561,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displaced NE'er View Post
We are looking to relocate from southern ME to eastern NY. We looked at the Albany area, & liked it. However, my husband is having trouble getting transfered there. There is a position available in poughkeepsie but I really don't know much about that area. Are there areas nearby that would be good for a young family? My husband is willing to commute about 45 min if needed. Is there stuff in that area for my husband & I to do? What about family activities? I love to shop & eat out. There is NOTHING where we are now & I can't stand it. I don't want to move to more of the same. How bad has the cost of living gotten? The median home price here is over $300K & over $400k near my family in MA. To me, that is insanity. There is more to life than work & money. I have heard good things about New Paltz, but I am thinking of being more north, maybe Saugerties. I consider myself slightly liberal leaning & want to be around other's like myself. Please help, I am so lost & confused. Thanks.
I am continually amazed by the contradictions! Are not liberals more accepting and tolerant of others? Well....I suppose, unless you are conservative. Suspect you will remain lost even if you insulate yourself in New Paltz surrounded by liberals......

Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 AM

52 posts, read 246,397 times
Well, the above really wasn't necessary - and definitely off point. New Paltz, Rhinebeck, Red Hook are all nice areas. I think that you may find the Hudson Valley a little pricey, unless that has changed in the current market. You may find that the west side of the Hudson River is a bit more affordable than the east side.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:59 AM

Actually............I agree and apologize

Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,352,793 times
Rhinebeck has always been pricey, Red Hook is fast becoming pricey too. Saugerties has charm and is close to Kingston. Albany is only 45 minutes north of Saugerties give or take a few minutes.
Poughkeepsie is ok for a "mini type city" Other good towns to consider with a commute to Poughkeepsie are Millbrook and Stanfordville or Hyde Park.
It is a beautiful area of NY state that you are considering.
All the best,
Pam

Old 04-06-2008, 02:43 PM

6 posts, read 15,142 times
the average home (4 bd, 2.5 ba, etc) runs about 400,000 in New Paltz with taxes around 10,000 YEARLY! it's insane! We are looking to get out of the area, but I guess if you can afford the prices than it really is a beautiful place to live. Lots of hiking, biking, nice weather. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by displaced NE'er View Post
Try Plattekill, Clintondale, and Shawangunk areas for more reasonable prices. I have a 4 bedroom renovated ranch with 1.7 acre in contract within easy reach of PKp, NP, Newburgh. There are new constructions and young resales in the $339,000 =/- range. Great views of the ridge and easy access to restaurants, intellectual stimulation, Minnewaska, Mohonk, etc. Farms, Orchards, woodlands..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York