Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 29,481 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in the Binghamton area (we'd be moving from a southern college town). I've searched the forums and people's feelings toward Binghamton seem to be a little mixed. I've researched that general area of New York and Ithaca seems like a cool little town. Is it possible to commute from Ithaca to Binghamton or is that just crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times
It all depends upon your definition of "crazy." I know of people who commute daily from here in Scranton, PA two hours away to New York City for a daily round-trip commute of around 4.5 hours. I think THAT would be "crazy." Ithaca, in my humble opinion, certainly is a much nicer city overall than Binghamton, including the lakefront setting and the surrounding gorges/waterfalls. It would be worth the drive.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:20 PM

140 posts, read 732,139 times
Commute from Ithaca to Binghamton...certainly it is do-able, but I would not want to do that commute for any length of time. It is about 45 to 60 minutes, depending on where he would start and his final destination. But for a few miles, it's all on 2-lane roads. When the weather is bad(lots of snow and ice), or when students are returning or leaving the Cornell University or Ithaca College campuses, then the commute can be quite slow, and dangerous. With the cost of gasoline, the hour or so each way, the risks associated with driving in winter, on and on, I personally think it's a foolish idea.

Certainly, Ithaca is a great little town with lots to offer, but Binghamton, despite what you may have read in these posts, still is a quiet, safe, reasonably cost area with more than adequate educational resources, outstanding medical facilities, an abundance of quite fairly priced housing, a growing retail community, proximity to interstates, etc. If you spend time here, get yourself an experienced real estate professional, have some criteria as to what you are seeking in a housing area/market, I think you'll be quite satisfied with the Binghamton area(and it's many suburbs). If you need to go to Ithaca on the weekends, then it's within reasonable driving distance. But, to commute daily...not a good idea.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:11 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,712 times
I think that commute would get very old very fast. Owego is a cute town though, and just up RT17 from Binghamton.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:00 PM

172 posts, read 847,373 times
From the city of Ithaca to the city of Binghamton is about an hour, give or take depending on weather and seasonal traffic. I've heard of people commuting that far, but I don't imagine it would be a fun commute.

You might want to check out some of the towns between the two cities- that way, the commute to Binghamton isn't as bad, and you can still visit Ithaca as you please. housing tends to cheaper in the smaller towns as well. Caroline, Danby, Candor, Owego, and Van Etten come to mind.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:08 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times
Whitney Point, which sits at the I-81 exit for Ithaca, may be another option.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:44 PM

961 posts, read 2,506,506 times
We have a number of local folks who commute from the Owego area to Ithaca on a daily basis....I know there is a (limited) commuter bus service back and forth ea/day also.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 29,481 times
Thanks to everyone for their advice. Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York