Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 03:11 PM

295 posts, read 281,789 times

Advertisements

Since you did an externship in Ellenville you probably have more experience there than I do but I've been driving through there and shopping every now and then for the last 15 years and have watched it struggle with the drip drip of businesses opening and closing. Mostly closing. Except dollar stores. Pretty depressing. The pizza place at the Shop Rite is pretty darn good though .

Stone Ridge and Gardiner look nice but if you're looking for community, they seem a bit limited. Can't get much closer to the 'gunks than Gardiner. Stone Ridge is one of those places I drive through and think 'I could live here' but I'm an old family guy.

I don't know Kingston well, except for the shopping strip off of 209 and I've driven past some nice Victorians a few times. Seems like it would be more dynamic.

In general if I wanted to meet people and date I would opt for bigger town/more stuff to do rather than being closer to the 'Gunks but with (very) limited social opportunities. It's not like some awesome natural surroundings are that far away if you're in one of the bigger towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Ellenville has been considered a dump for eons. Since my reckoning which goes back to the late 70s anyway.

But personally, I don't find it that bad. I mean, if you live in the hinterlands in a nice rural spot and use Ellenville, New Paltz, Kingston, etc. you can have your own paradise. The Shawangunk area is really a gem. But it is real, and that means rough around the edges.

Personally, if I was going to live "in town", I'd choose Kingston or New Paltz. But I would certainly look to Ellenville zip codes if the property was more remote.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
I think rhinebeck would fit. Its across the bridge from kingston and it does not stop you from visiting other HV towns. Red hook is also nice.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 14,128 times
Thank you again, everyone. I'm viewing apartments in Kingston, Rosendale, High Falls, and Stone Ridge. I realized that I'm happy to be 15 minutes from Kingston in order to live closer to nature. I think from here in out it's really about getting that "you know when you know" feeling. Have a great weekend...

Old 09-04-2017, 03:53 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,961 times
As a native to Dutchess, I'd recommend Rhinebeck or Red Hook. A better location, nicer area, might be a tad higher than Kingston for rent. I loved the upper part of Dutchess, just to far for me to get to my former job in Beacon. Now if you stay in Ulster, look towards Saugerties or Olive Bridge.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:45 PM

284 posts, read 269,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
stone ridge is the nicest looking town imo. Idk why anyone would suggest Kingston
Idk why anyone would suggest Kingston either. Stone ridge is definitely pretty. Saugerties is probably fine. My vote is rhinebeck but it's expensive. I consider ellenville my hometown and there's actually a lot in the town but it's blatantly obvious how poor the town is

Old 09-10-2017, 06:35 AM

97 posts, read 146,911 times
Although I live in New Paltz and love it, I would not suggest it to for your needs. New Paltz is mostly college kids or young families that benefit from the great public schools. The apartment rentals are overpriced and the night life is designed for college students. For your needs I would recommend Kingston as long as you are not planning on raising a family there (the school system is not the best). Although Kingston has some really scary neighborhoods, It has a growing young professionals population and has easy access to your recreational needs. Good luck on your search from a fellow SLP.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:52 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,849 times
Quote:
Idk why anyone would suggest Kingston either.
I don't know. Maybe the 100 restaurants, the nice waterfront, the growing art scene, the convenience to I-87 and Dutchess County. Stuff like that.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,041,281 times
Quote:
Idk why anyone would suggest Kingston either. Stone ridge is definitely pretty. Saugerties is probably fine. My vote is rhinebeck but it's expensive. I consider ellenville my hometown and there's actually a lot in the town but it's blatantly obvious how poor the town is
Really? I have spent more time than I can calculate in Kingston - there are more and more things to do there each year, and plenty of decent and affordable neighborhoods to live in. I wouldnt necessarily send my kids to school there but it is far from being the south Bronx.

Kingston is also chill/laid back whereas Rhinebeck is pretty much exactly the opposite these days

Old 09-18-2017, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 14,128 times
Thank you everyone. I found a beautiful, affordable apartment near the Rondout. I'm glad I did all the preparation and surveying, AND ultimately I DID get that this-is-it feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York