Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:48 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,967,263 times

Advertisements

Hi...I live in Queens, NYC (been here my whole life) and am investigating a possible move up to the Catskills area...I have co-workers who went to school in New Paltz and loved it and are trying to convince my fiancé and I to move up there...we are big foodies and I was wondering what the scene is like with regards to food shopping - I know there are tons of farms up there, which is great...any organic markets or things of that nature? We also travel quite a bit - do any of the small regional airports fly direct to NYC or would it be easier to just drive down to JFK or LaGuardia? If we wanted to take the train down to NYC, can we do that from New Paltz or do we have to go across the river?

Thanks for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 11:53 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,909,278 times
What is the next nearest town to New Paltz where you could still take advantage of the town offerings but with cheaper houses and lower taxes?
Looking for an older restored farmhouse on a few acres with a barn.
Thanks! Any other towns other than NP with serious strong regional theater offerings?
12buttons

Old 05-07-2011, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 8,793 times
Default single in New Paltz?

Hi there

I, too am considering relocating to New Paltz from Brooklyn. I am a single thirty year old with no kids, but I want a nicer place and more nature. I do not want to be isolated though.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 PM

715 posts, read 2,512,449 times
I think you would like it, Zoe. A hopping college town with plenty of single and looking. Prime location for the nature lover too with the Catskills just to the West and the Hudson River to the East. You still wouldn't be all that far from New York City either. A short 15 minute ride from New Paltz to Poughkeepsie with a 1hr 50min ride to GCT gets you in at a hair over 2 hours.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,010,921 times
Default new paltz

New paltz is san francisco north...nothign more then a bunch of Marxists who are tranplanted fromt he City...All they holler about are left wing causes, gay marriage, illegal immigration big government..they had it all there in NYC but had to move upstate and screw up the Hudson Valley also...like they screw up everything they touch ( see current Presidential administration)....

If you have a young child, i may suggest something closer to the city , like Orange County, where there is more of a family feel. I only moved up here cuz i got married and had a child...and Orange county where i lve is all families with children..mostly young liek myself..and the schools are better here then in New Paltz....

U just gotta do your homework..

Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 AM

715 posts, read 2,512,449 times
^ More of a troll post, than anything. New Paltz is liberal, yes, but the "screwed up the Hudson Valley" comment has no weight / validity to it. I live in Orange County as well and would recommend it to anyone who wanted to be a bit closer to the city.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:30 AM

45 posts, read 72,424 times
Am a 60 year old professional, who just moved to New Paltz because of the beautiful area, and the diversity in this village/town. Yes, in some respects it is expensive to live here. Principally because of the property taxes, which is due to the school district, which is exceptional from what I am told by young parents. On the inexpensive side, there are arts events, nature hikes, pure water, abundant farms (including organic), gorgeous views and inexpensive college restaurants all over the village. In addition, there is excellent public transportation which is a rarity in upstate New York. Poughkeepsie is across the river with its industry and jobs. New Paltz does not have industry, which is another reason the taxes are so high, because the residents have to bear the brunt instead of corporations. The SUNY college doesn't pay taxes. But I think the people here appreciate the benefits and realize that the protection of their environment is worth not having a lot of manufacturing plants and traffic from shopping malls. You have to weight what is important to you, as an individual or to your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York