Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 08:32 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times

Advertisements

http://nyscommunityaction.org/wp-con...for-online.pdf

The above link to pdf; NYS Poverty Report (March 2015)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 05:06 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post

Good link. Something to keep in mind is who is included in poverty rates. For instance, Tompkins County has one of the highest poverty rates in the state, but due to Ithaca being a college town, it has a lot to do with the city's and county's high poverty rate. Something similar could be said for cities/parts of cities with a strong college presence as well.

Off campus students are included in the rate due skewing the median household income, in which they are included in. So, a student that is overwhelmingly likely to have minimal income and lives in an apartment in the Collegetown neighborhood is included in such economic statistics.

Also, take note of counties that get refugees/immigrants, migrant/seasonal farm workers and that may have a prison presence, as all may bring people that don't have a middle class or higher income.

On the other hand, places with/near a current military presence seem to have lower poverty rates. Hudson Valley counties close enough to NYC up to almost Albany seem to do generally well and could be partially aided by rail access into the City for employment.

I also noticed places that buck the trend/stereotype like Queens, Rockland and Jefferson counties, as well as the city of Hudson.

It appears that the most populated Upstate counties have rates below the state and national rate at the time. Some are slightly over, but not by much.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-21-2016 at 05:45 AM..

Old 11-21-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:

This is a supplement for this information: New York Population in Poverty Percentage County Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

New York Family in Poverty Percentage County Rank Based on ACS 2010-2014 data

Old 11-21-2016, 12:55 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:

As discussed, Oneida and Chemung have African American and Hispanic poverty rates around 45%. Glancing through these counties, its hard to believe that NYS has such high number overall. And the rates being so much higher for AA and Hispanics. I know many are prison counties (Genesee being a big one), but that just opens another issue right up- the incarceration of so many AA and Hispanics.

So many of the counties that poster nep321 and logix drive through may be experiencing a vast area of CAFO's, prisons, and dilapidated buildings that can definitely contribute to a depressed feeling that both posters mentioned.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
As discussed, Oneida and Chemung have African American and Hispanic poverty rates around 45%. Glancing through these counties, its hard to believe that NYS has such high number overall. And the rates being so much higher for AA and Hispanics. I know many are prison counties (Genesee being a big one), but that just opens another issue right up- the incarceration of so many AA and Hispanics.

So many of the counties that poster nep321 and logix drive through may be experiencing a vast area of CAFO's, prisons, and dilapidated buildings that can definitely contribute to a depressed feeling that both posters mentioned.
Poverty rates for both of those groups are at the same rates in comparison to Whites nationally as well(about 26% for Black, 24% for Hispanics, 10% for Whites and 12% for Asians nationally as of 2014). So, that isn't just a NY State thing, but is an national issue. http://www.povertyusa.org/the-state-...poverty-facts/

Newer national info: https://talkpoverty.org/basics/

http://poverty.ucdavis.edu/faq/what-...-united-states

You also have to keep in mind with Oneida County, many of those in the African American category are likely African refugees. Same with the other bigger counties in Upstate NY. Genesee County, along with Orleans and Wayne counties also have a history of getting of farm workers, which will be seasonal work.

However, the overall poverty rates of many of the counties in the bigger Upstate NY counties are still below or around the state and national figure. NY's rate isn't a surprise given the number of immigrants that come into the state and have since its beginning. Ironically, but not surprising, the poverty rate in those Upstate counties are actually still lower that the rate in NY County(aka Manhattan).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-21-2016 at 02:10 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Poverty rates for both of those groups are at the same rates in comparison to Whites nationally as well(about 26% for Black, 24% for Hispanics, 10% for Whites and 12% for Asians nationally as of 2014). So, that isn't just a NY State thing, but is an national issue. Poverty Facts | Poverty Rate, Poverty Thresholds & Census Information

Newer national info: https://talkpoverty.org/basics/

You also have to keep in mind with Oneida County, many of those in the African American category are likely African refugees. Same with the other bigger counties in Upstate NY. Genesee County, along with Orleans and Wayne counties also have a history of getting of farm workers, which will be seasonal work.

However, the overall poverty rates of many of the counties in the bigger Upstate NY counties are still below or around the state and national figure. NY's rate isn't a surprise given the number of immigrants that come into the state and have since its beginning. Ironically, but not surprising, the poverty rate in those Upstate counties are actually still lower that the rate in NY County(aka Manhattan).
Kinda surprising to me. When I think of 45% rates of poverty, I think of rural Mississippi. Not NY. But that may be unique to my way of thinking. Its just not something I've researched much.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:51 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,798 times
Jamestown fits, both depressed & forgotten... so far west and miles from I90. Still a fair amount of mfg but struggling, not prosperous, lots of drug problems, lots of welfare, poor image, snow belt, etc. Despite all that, it's very safe and I find it and the surrounding area very attractive. It could rebound if it can attract more talented & ambitious young pros that seek opportunity in a very small, low-key city with lots of character & history.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:11 PM

439 posts, read 357,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think New York is a great state overall. I was born in the Plattsburgh area in the 80's and also lived in NYC after college to start my career. I have spent time visiting and exploring places like the Hudson River valley, Albany, Lake George, the Adironack region, Canton, Binghamton, Rochester and Buffalo, over the years.

With that said, which metropolitan area within the entire state do you think is the most ignored, forgotten and depressed, and why? I'm guessing its one of the following:

Kingston
Watertown
Elmira
Utica
Binghamton
Glens Falls

People obviously know NYC, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse, so I won't list those.

What do you think?
I can only speak of my beloved river city, Kingston. IBM has been gone more than twenty years--and so has the economy dependent on it. The city has now become a bedroom community, and most people commute to the 'City for work. Those that don't are typically low-skilled workers in the service/retail industry. I pity them greatly because you cannot survive on minimum wage in Kingston (or anywhere below milemarker 100 on I-87)...That said, I still love it here (my family has lived both in the 'Valley and the City for decades now).

Kingston, despite economic issues associated with deindustrialization, is still beautiful. The quality of light, the land, the proximity to everything. I even love the forgotten (abandoned mansions, hidden springs, cave-lakes). In addition to my "day-job", I write and everyday this little 'burg inspires me. There are streets I still haven't gone down, and paths I haven't walked. This place, despite the imperfections, makes me happy. Aside from Montreal, I cannot say that of another place (including New York City, which I also love).

In terms of the other areas you've listed, I have no idea. I will say that I have worked in Albany and it was (by far) the most depressing place I've ever visited (gray skies, gray buildings, morose people). I couldn't stand the place...And it wasn't a particularly "broke" area--just mediocre and devoid of spirit.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Kinda surprising to me. When I think of 45% rates of poverty, I think of rural Mississippi. Not NY. But that may be unique to my way of thinking. Its just not something I've researched much.
Sadly, the Delta region of Mississippi is probably worse in that regard and there are many dynamics at play in terms of Oneida County.

On the other hand, it appears that Black households in the Rome City SD seem to be doing pretty good: Rome City School District Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Old 11-23-2016, 01:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I am not sure which is considered the best measure of a place being "economically depressed," but here's what i found, based on U.S. census data, among all 62 counties in NY state:

Lowest median household income - Bronx County
Lowest median property value - Allegany County
Highest poverty rate - Bronx County

I don't like using poverty rate as a meaningful measure because it only represents people living below an established income threshold, so I think median household income is more meaningful, because it takes into account EVERYONE who has an income.

Anyway, based on this, which would you say has a more depressed/forgotten feeling and image? Bronx County or Allegany County? I think lowest property values is most indicative of what I'm trying to discern. But I'm sure some of you on here have been to both Bronx and Allegany counties to make that judgment.

Allegany County includes Wellsville. Is Wellsville depressed feeling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York