Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 7,922 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a rough patch. I absolutely enjoy my university (University of Colorado Colorado Springs), but due to financial reasons and medical concerns (I lose my insurance in August when I can get insured in NY---I was born and raised on Long Island and insurance under my dad) I've been entertaining the idea to go back, get the help I need, finish my degree for practically nothing out of pocket and move back to Colorado once I establish myself.

Here's the issue: I'm trying to save on housing, so I'm limited to the Island. I'm looking at Farmingdale State College and SUNY Old Westbury, but I've heard mixed things about both. I was wondering if transferring from a state college in Colorado vs NY would be a wise move or not, as I don't want to lose quality in education. I'm currently a junior. I've been looking at SUNY New Paltz for the hell of it, and it caught my interest but my parents suggest to stay and finish in CO if I'm to go upstate. How are these schools and how do they compare to one another? How would the diploma be held out of state?

I have no interest in Hofstra and my major is in psychology, but I've been thinking about changing it to a computer degree. Not so important right now, but I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I apologize if this is in the wrong subthread

Last edited by Zentori; 06-22-2016 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 04:25 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,295,943 times
Living in your parent's house on Long Island will save you a lot of money on room and board. I have heard that SUNY New Platz is a big party school with a lot of education majors; the majority of students coming from the NYC area. But my info is from 40 years ago, when I was working in Dutchess County. It may have changed in the meantime.

Jobs for pscychologists are expected to grow by about 20% in the next 10 years but mostly for PhDs in a specialized field of psychology. A BA in psychology won't get you very far.

Changing course majors in midstream from psychology (a social science) to computer science (applied math really) can be done but it will be a tough transition. Below is a link to the Old Westbury computer science course requirements.

https://www.oldwestbury.edu/academic...-bs/curriculum

Old 06-22-2016, 11:44 PM

Are you familiar with the quality of education at New Paltz vs Farmingdale and Old Westbury by chance? And yes I am aware of the bleakness (how I see it) of having a bachelor's in Psychology. I'm itching to change it but there's some factors that make it a bit complicated ($$$ for taking more semesters being the main part, and putting in all the time for a psych degree). I'm nervous that if I get a comp degree at a lesser known school if that would affect my chances out of state or even within Long Island.

Seems like a rigorous curriculum, but I'm determined to get through it. Thank you for your reply

Old 06-23-2016, 05:51 AM

313 posts, read 1,058,088 times
Did you look at SUNY Stony Brook? Quality-wise, I think it's better than Farmingdale and Old Westbury.

Since it's just two years, it might be worth it to suck it up and maybe go to a SUNY that's upstate. The ones you're considering are fine, but there are some better SUNYs upstate- Albany, Binghamton, Geneseo, Oswego to name a few. Taking out a loan for two years of room and board might be worth the investment because I do believe degrees from those schools may get you more traction than F'dale and OW.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:19 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,564,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
Did you look at SUNY Stony Brook? Quality-wise, I think it's better than Farmingdale and Old Westbury.
You think right and that is an excellent suggestion.

OP - why do you have no interest in Hofstra? Academically, it is quite a bit higher on the ladder than the schools you are considering. Of course, it is not a SUNY school and will be more expensive.

Of the three, I would put New Paltz higher on the list. Farmingdale next and Old Westbury at the bottom.

Quote:
Since it's just two years, it might be worth it to suck it up and maybe go to a SUNY that's upstate. The ones you're considering are fine, but there are some better SUNYs upstate- Albany, Binghamton, Geneseo, Oswego to name a few. Taking out a loan for two years of room and board might be worth the investment because I do believe degrees from those schools may get you more traction than F'dale and OW.
Another excellent suggestion and phrased more diplomatically than I would do.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post

I haven't looked at SB if only because I wanted to stay local. My parents live near JFK. However, if I was to room away I probably would prefer to go upstate than SB (I have visited SB before I attended university in Colorado, I prefer smaller schools (my current is 11k undergrad) with a more intimate classroom setting. Binghamton has been considered as well as Buffalo, it's just housing that's the issue. If I'm to come back to study on the Island it would be to save as much money as possible (but at the same time I don't want to cut my education quality short).

If you think it's really worth to take out loans to dorm for a better education, I'll most definitely consider the costs but I'll also be weighing if I should just stay and finish at my institution or transfer upstate.

Quote:
OP - why do you have no interest in Hofstra? Academically, it is quite a bit higher on the ladder than the schools you are considering. Of course, it is not a SUNY school and will be more expensive.
Only because of the expenses. I've also ruled out Adelphi, which used to be my dream school in high school. Just can't afford it, but I do know they give generous aid. I used to consider Hofstra when I wanted to pursue Law prior to coming out to Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York