Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,204 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about buying a house in the southern end of Duthcess County or possibly Putnam County. I did some research online and there seems to be a water contamination issue (well water) in some areas of the both counties. Does anyone have any insight/info into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,111 times
Default what sort

of well water contamination did you hear about and from where?

Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times
My Parents live in Putnam - I was just there..No contamination with their well...

Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times
There are a few areas under this. Go to Pojonews.com and put in the search for the well contamination. They should come right up. Don't be worried about Dutchess too much, the areas it's affecting don't make up entire towns. And good real estate agent too would be knowledgeable on it-look for someone who's been selling in Dutchess for over 20-25 years and a native.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 13,004 times
Default Shenandoah Rd

There is a large EPA Superfund site in the Town of East Fishkill. In this area, there is groundwater contamination which has affected some homeowner wells. It is in the area of the East Fishkill IBM. You can get a lot of info from the EPA website. Just do a search for Shenandoah Rd and it will come up.

I believe a new water line has been extended from Poughkeepsie down to East Fishkill to help service these homes. But I am not positive.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 21,336 times
Unless you test the private well, you will never know if there is contamination. You would be foolish to take the word of a real estate agent. They only care about selling homes. You need to test for VOC's, Nitrates and bacteria. Will cost you about 250 dollars but worth it.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
Agreed with the post above. Not only its should you as a buyer, test the water..but also test it every year when you buy. had well/septic in our home..no problems..anytime I was unsure, I would also buy the test kits from home depot...but just like you maintain your septic, maintain your well. JMO.

Had no idea about the IBM fishkill...wow so many mcmansions went up in that area too :-(

Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 AM

Those test kits are ok but if you are looking to buy a home you must test for more than what they offer. I agree that you need to test once a year for bacteria and nitrates. For Voc's, if you tested clean and you know of no issues, only need to be tested every 5-7 years.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM

How do you know there is no contamination? Unless you test you will not know. Many problems have no smell, taste or color. If you did test, what did you test for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York