Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times

Advertisements

Just got a violation notice for the Thruway. I have an EZ-Pass and it was in the car when I want through; it was fine the next day when I went the other direction. Their violation notice claims a toll of the maximum amount possible from the plaza with the violation (which is over twice the true toll), an additional "administrative fee" of $5, and another $20 if I don't send it right away. I'm given the option to "dispute" this and only pay the inflated toll by putting in my tag number. Except that to "dispute" I have to do it within 45 days of the supposed violation. The notice was sent out 47 days after the supposed violation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 10:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Just got a violation notice for the Thruway. I have an EZ-Pass and it was in the car when I want through; it was fine the next day when I went the other direction. Their violation notice claims a toll of the maximum amount possible from the plaza with the violation (which is over twice the true toll), an additional "administrative fee" of $5, and another $20 if I don't send it right away. I'm given the option to "dispute" this and only pay the inflated toll by putting in my tag number. Except that to "dispute" I have to do it within 45 days of the supposed violation. The notice was sent out 47 days after the supposed violation.
Just call up customer support and explain your situation and I'll bet they'll be ok with it being past 45 days. Heck I had a new tag sent to me and forgot I left the old one in there when I installed the new one so I was driving around for 2 months like that before I noticed I was being double charged and they refunded everything back to me. Surprisingly EZ Pass has pretty good customer service.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:21 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I agree with the other poster contact them. Ensure you saved the envelope the notice came in so you have the postmark as proof of the late mailing and I would follow up the call (if necessary) with a letter pointing out everything and dispute it all. You say the pass was in the car and does work so perhaps the problem was with their sensor.

Good Luck

Old 11-20-2015, 10:14 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
They dinged me for failing to pay at the GWB. Only one problem -- I was at a Best Buy in northern CT at the time of the alleged infraction! I phoned their offices and they said they see my black van going through the toll plaza on the recording. I told the man I don't own a black van. He wasn't having any part of what I was saying.

I wrote to them showing receipts for the ferry I used to get from LI to CT, and then mentioned that I would have had to have driven from Bridgeport to the GWB and then back to the Best Buy in Enfield, CT in a time which would have set new land speed records. I received a letter from EZPass rescinding the fine

Turned out someone didn't record the correct plate number on the offending vehicle.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:48 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,305 times
Above advice is all good. Write to them with a record of when you sent it and get proof of delivery.

EZPass used to be good about fixing their mistakes. You would call them on the phone, explain the problem and it would (usually) get corrected on the next statement. I have a billing error about every two months (tags don't read correctly, etc.), so I have been down that road many times.

The past year things have been different. Not sure if people were taking advantage or EZPass decided they need to boost "revenue." My last 5-6 EZ pass disputes have ended up with frustration instead of resolution. I have had several issues with my pickup, especially when pulling my horse trailer. For some reason, EZPass is reading it as a commercial truck with more axles than I actually have. They get it right about 50% of the time. I have been back and forth with them and they give different stories. One rep actually claimed I was being billed by gross weight and told me there are scales at the Throgs Neck toll lanes (all BS, and Throgs Neck rates are based on number of axles, not actual weight).

Bottom line is that they are judge, jury, executioner and fine collector all rolled into one. It would cost more time and money to fight the $10-20 overcharge and they know it. Based on frequency of wrong billing (which is _always_ in their favor) I believe it is intentional. Most people don't review their bill and those that do rarely have the time to fight it out until the end. It is easy profit.

Hopefully, you will have better luck than I.

Also watch out for the toll lanes with no gate. When it states "limit 5mph" they mean it. EZPass now reads your speed in those lanes. If you are going 15 in the 5mph (how do you go 5mph? My speedometer gives no reading <10mph) they will send you a notice. On the second offense they suspend your EZpass for 30 days. Tolls are archaic - they are nothing more than government condoned highwaymen.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,282 times
Exclamation Ez pass violations

We received a ticket from E Z pass state of NY for allegedly not paying to get off the turnpike that we weren't even on.....exit 59 DUNKIRK???? we didn't even out and about that day how did this happen? We never even left our house that day, nor did we get a fare chance to pay it....I just wonder how does this happen?:confused somebody please let me know how this fraud happens?
Also they said they had a picture of our car that they can't even seem to find...hmmm something is very fishy here......

Old 12-20-2015, 10:44 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyovrticket View Post
We received a ticket from E Z pass state of NY for allegedly not paying to get off the turnpike that we weren't even on.....exit 59 DUNKIRK???? we didn't even out and about that day how did this happen? We never even left our house that day, nor did we get a fare chance to pay it....I just wonder how does this happen?:confused somebody please let me know how this fraud happens?
Also they said they had a picture of our car that they can't even seem to find...hmmm something is very fishy here......
Did you call EZ pass, or was the photo reference only in a violation notice?

How does this happen? It is an automated system. Lot's to go wrong. I have to call them almost monthly to dispute an incorrect charge (you should ALWAYS check your statement as soon as it is available online).

Most likely, they connected to your account by a license plate. They might have read the number wrong and assigned it to your account.

I had a problem like that years ago. Received a ticket for parking in a hospital zone - only it was in a city I had never been to. I called and spoke to the clerk. Seems someone read the license plate number wrong. Took all of about 10 seconds to sort it out and the ticket (for me, at least) went away.

EZ Pass is very fishy. Too many "mistakes" that I bet they count on people not noticing. Give 'em a call and explain. Most likely, they will remove the charge (which can take up to two billing cycles.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York