Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:13 AM

518 posts, read 2,013,629 times

Advertisements

I imagine that the person writing does realize that mountain areas in general do get both snow and cold, but there are many areas that don't consistently make the designated "coldest temperature in the nation" spot frequently during the winter which lasts longer up here than many of the other mountainous regions named. I just thought since this is a forum where people are trying to find out all possible pros and cons of an area before they move, that this would be an important factor to consider. Many people don't care whether they live in snow (and the coldest spot in NY state) year round, but I think that has to be considered in the overall desirability of an area. I know I would want to at least know that growing seasons are shorter there and although it is glorious in the summer and fall, winters there are extremely cold (colder than many of the other mountainous areas in NY) and longer and snowier. That was the point of the post...............

PS.........Today is the huge winter carnival in Saranac Lake...................It should be a blast! Parades, ice castles, children's activities, fireworks, ice carving contests, lots of people ready to play, and gorgeous snow everywhere...........Check online for pics, if interested. Have a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 AM

96 posts, read 394,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
there are many areas that don't consistently make the designated "coldest temperature in the nation" spot frequently during the winter... I know I would want to at least know that growing seasons are shorter there and although it is glorious in the summer and fall, winters there are extremely cold (colder than many of the other mountainous areas in NY) and longer and snowier. That was the point of the post...............

PS.........Today is the huge winter carnival in Saranac Lake...................It should be a blast! Parades, ice castles, children's activities, fireworks, ice carving contests, lots of people ready to play, and gorgeous snow everywhere...........Check online for pics, if interested. Have a great weekend!
Sorry, Plattsburgher-- I didn't mean to sound harsh. And I wasn't aware that S.L. was the coldest spot in the nation. I think I was focusing in on the "Ithaca" aspects, and I have to say I am in sync with that because I always look for the green and tolerant, veggie/granola values when I think about an ideal town and having ventured and stayed in many, many parts of the Adirondacks, I would say that S.L. fits the bill the best. Since the O.P. was interested in Vermont mountains, I didn't think that really cold weather would be off-putting, but as I said I wasn't aware that SL was the coldest spot in the nation.

P.S.- The winter carnival sounds wonderful!

Old 02-10-2008, 06:34 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,444 times
Little Falls is a sleepy little town, I'm dont think there really is a large hippy element there. The locals seem to take pride in the old victorian homes though.

I would say New Paltz is probably my favorite next to Ithaca. New Paltz has a grooovy vibe.
Great setting too...

Old 02-10-2008, 04:44 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,629 times
Smile We both like it..........

It does have a very "cool" (pardon the pun) vibe about it and I think 2 years ago it was named "best small town in America" on a couple of those lists.........so obviously a couple of other people think positively about Saranac Lake also. Did you know that Jane Pauley and her hubby (Trudeau/writer of Doonesbury) have direct ties to the town? They are frequent visitors from what I understand.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York