Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 11,336 times

Advertisements

If you had to pick one area to live in the north country, ie... Watertown and north where would you look. Travel for work not to much of an issue, Rn's and can both handle the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:51 PM

93,443 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo1754 View Post
If you had to pick one area to live in the north country, ie... Watertown and north where would you look. Travel for work not to much of an issue, Rn's and can both handle the weather.
I'd probably go with Watertown, Plattsburgh and the Potsdam/Canton area, in that order. Keep in mind that there are hospitals also in Alexandria Bay, Carthage, Lowville, Gouverneur, Ogdensburg, Massena, Malone, Saranac Lake, Star Lake and Elizabethtown. I believe that Lake Placid has a health care facility and Ticonderoga also has a hospital.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:55 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,761 times
Guess it depends on what your looking for. Near the lake, in the mountains, small city.

I recently moved from Watertown to Rochester and absolutely hated Watertown. I loved the surrounding area but not the city itself, which unfortunately is were most of the non military jobs are in the area.

But if I had to pick a place it would be Clayton NY as long as I didn't have to go near Watertown. Saranac Lake is also a nice little town which I visited for the 1st time last weekend and was presently surprised.

Plattsburgh looks like a nice area as well but I have never visited so I can't really say much.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:58 PM

13 posts, read 11,336 times
We are taking our annual trip to black lake here in a few days, its her first time up there and she has been looking at jobs in the carthage medical center. I am a disabled Army vet, so being near a base or even a VA center is nice at times. I love Alex Bay, and LOVE Clayton, I just want a good idea of where to take her so we can get basis of things to start looking at a little deeper.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo1754 View Post
We are taking our annual trip to black lake here in a few days, its her first time up there and she has been looking at jobs in the carthage medical center. I am a disabled Army vet, so being near a base or even a VA center is nice at times. I love Alex Bay, and LOVE Clayton, I just want a good idea of where to take her so we can get basis of things to start looking at a little deeper.
If you need access to a base or a VA Center, perhaps you could look into Adams. It is still in the North Country and would put you closer to the VA Hospital in Syracuse, as Adams is just off of I-81 and is south of Watertown. In this case, the spouse could look into positions at Samaritan Hospital, which is on Washington Street on the South Side of Watertown. Town of Adams, New York: Home Page

Welcome to the Village of Adams, New York
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adams_Center,_New_York

Home - Samaritan Health Systems (according to the website, it is the biggest private employer north of Syracuse)

New York - Locations

Adams is about 45-50 minutes from Syracuse and about 25-30 minutes from Fort Drum. It is about 15 minutes or so from Samaritan Health.

Plattsburgh had an active Air Force Base until 1995 or so, but I'm not sure if there are any military based facilities there anymore. You may find something here: Welcome to PARC

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-19-2015 at 10:06 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 07:53 PM

Perhaps if you want to be closer to Black Lake and within a reasonable distance to Fort Drum, Gouverneur may be another community to look into and they have a hospital that she could look into for employment: Gouverneur Hospital

It was called E.J. Noble before restructuring.

Also, if you really like Clayton, look into the River Hospital in Alex Bay: Home | River Hospital...Safe Harbor For Your Health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York