Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:37 AM

77 posts, read 90,175 times

Advertisements

Hello. I started a thread because I couldn't find anything similar if there is please direct me. Thanks

I was wondering about the wildlife in this area. Like deer and bear. I am looking into buying acreage in the Watertown NY area and would like to know mainly if you see deer? And what it's like in the wildlife. Or is it too close to Lake Ontario that they are other places. I have tried to search the internet but I can't find specifics.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 05:33 AM

93,572 posts, read 124,293,378 times
This will probably get moved to the general section of the forum, but you definitely see deer in Jefferson County. I'm not sure about seeing bears, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are spotted occasionally. Where in the county are you looking for land?

Keep in mind that Fort Drum military base and vicinity take up a good portion of the county and Watertown is also located in the county. So, it isn't completely rural or underdeveloped.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:33 AM

I believe it's considered Jefferson county, NY Watertown area. We did live in Livingston county Le Roy, NY for a while and loved the chipmunks and deer in the yard like 12 coming to visit to hide from the coyote. You helped me last time and your advice was spot on thank you. I was hoping you saw my post. I haven't been to the area yet but from what I see I like it. We are considering a farm property for growing either elderberries or lavender or something and he likes it due to closeness of water and highways and saw that the salmon run mall ten minutes away is close as well which was the only issue in Le roy with stores I didn't mind as much traveling and could deal with the distance for the peace and because I know the home values were there, here I am not so sure any thoughts on the home values. the area is 7 minutes from Sackets Harbor a small cute town as it seems we want to have a couple of horses too

Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcm1232 View Post
I believe it's considered Jefferson county, NY Watertown area. We did live in Livingston county Le Roy, NY for a while and loved the chipmunks and deer in the yard like 12 coming to visit to hide from the coyote. You helped me last time and your advice was spot on thank you. I was hoping you saw my post. I haven't been to the area yet but from what I see I like it. We are considering a farm property for growing either elderberries or lavender or something and he likes it due to closeness of water and highways and saw that the salmon run mall ten minutes away is close as well which was the only issue in Le roy with stores I didn't mind as much traveling and could deal with the distance for the peace and because I know the home values were there, here I am not so sure any thoughts on the home values. the area is 7 minutes from Sackets Harbor a small cute town as it seems we want to have a couple of horses too
Yes, that is Jefferson County and is a very nice area with plenty of land. A quick drive down Route 3 would get you to shopping on Arsenal Street near I-81 and the western end of Watertown.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:24 AM

Been trying to find the best of both worlds up north no tornado's some water and major shopping that's not 2 hours away but ability to have a horse or 2 and a home with some acreage lol That's my Christmas list. And things to do since we have a child like a sport or dance classes etc...We will be taking a trip soon before we decide but wanna make sure we are happy and try to meet everyone's criteria the taxes in the watertown area seem high in the area I was looking so was surprised to see houses with low values attached. I also read on other posts that fort drum had some toxic waste issues there do you know how true that is or not?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcm1232 View Post
Been trying to find the best of both worlds up north no tornado's some water and major shopping that's not 2 hours away but ability to have a horse or 2 and a home with some acreage lol That's my Christmas list. And things to do since we have a child like a sport or dance classes etc...We will be taking a trip soon before we decide but wanna make sure we are happy and try to meet everyone's criteria the taxes in the watertown area seem high in the area I was looking so was surprised to see houses with low values attached. I also read on other posts that fort drum had some toxic waste issues there do you know how true that is or not?
I don't recall hearing about that during my time up there, but this is what I could find: Waste | Region 2 | US EPA

http://www.aec.army.mil/Portals/3/IAP/NY-Drum.pdf

Keep in mind that the area you are looking into is on the other side of Watertown(west of it), while Fort Drum is east of Watertown. So, I don't think that would be an issue.

Sackets Harbor(Hounsfield) and General Brown(Dexter, Brownville, Glen Park, etc) are 2 school districts in that general area you are looking into and are good districts.

You may also like the southern portion of Jefferson County, with communities like the Belleville-Henderson area/SD or the Adams area(South Jefferson SD). Both are still close enough to shopping in Watertown and are a little bit closer to Syracuse, if you want to go to a bigger area. Belleville-Henderson is close to/touches Lake Ontario in parts and Adams is off of I-81.

Since you mentioned sports, South Jeff is known for its very good Girl's Basketball and Wrestling programs. They offer Lacrosse and combine with other schools for Hockey. Belleville-Henderson has had good Basketball and Soccer teams. Sackets Harbor is known for its good Basketball programs(Boys and Girls), while General Brown is known for its Football, Girls Basketball and Girls Lacrosse teams.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-05-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 PM

Awesome thank you so much again for all your knowledge and help! I will look into all them as well.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 PM

I just thought of one other community that may work and that is the Chaumont(village)(pronounced sha-mo)/Lyme(town) area. It is close to water and just north of the General Brown SD, but is closer to the 1000 Islands too. Lyme Central School serves that community, which has had good Basketball and Baseball teams in the past.

Another thing to possibly consider is that Watertown International Airport is actually between Routes 12 and 3, between Dexter and Sackets Harbor.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:11 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,822,880 times
There are a ton of deer in Jefferson County. I lived their for about 5 years and my freezer was always stocked, along with my father-in-law and brother-in-law were stocked as well. Did most of my hunting between Adams and Henderson in southern Jefferson county. Fishing is great in the area as well. I lived in Watertown most of my time there and would not recommend living within the city. Alot of poverty and trash but most of the small towns surrounding the city are amazing. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
There are a ton of deer in Jefferson County. I lived their for about 5 years and my freezer was always stocked, along with my father-in-law and brother-in-law were stocked as well. Did most of my hunting between Adams and Henderson in southern Jefferson county. Fishing is great in the area as well. I lived in Watertown most of my time there and would not recommend living within the city. Alot of poverty and trash but most of the small towns surrounding the city are amazing. Good luck.
What about the southern portion of the city along Washington, around Thompson Park and around Immaculate Heart Central? Historically, from what Ive heard, there has generally been a North(poorer/working class) and South(more middle class) divide in the city. I guess the area to the NW around the Fairgrounds/JCC, Breen Street area, etc may be the exception in the northern half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York