Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM

10 posts, read 74,445 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just moved to Watertown, NY from Michigan about a month ago and would like suggestions for meeting people in the area. Everything here seems geared toward military...I can't recount the number of times we were asked "military?" before someone on the other end of he phone line would divulge anything about a rental house. I truly feel sorry for military families looking for safe, affordable housing.

We are NOT military (not that it's a bad thing, I support the people defending our country). My question is are there any venues for meeting military or non-military people? We're a young, religious, and educated couple (<25) and not into the drinking/clubbing scene. We can get along with most people regardless of age, education, or socioeconomic status as long as they're friendly and honest. Don't suggest the welcome wagon, I already called the number....there hasn't been one for 20 years.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM

88 posts, read 530,548 times
I would check Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! It's a great site. It lists all different types of groups that meet locally all over the US.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 PM

133 posts, read 498,433 times
It's not that we think you're strange, it's just literally most people who move here from other states move here because they are military. Consider yourself unique because you are not military! I would also ask what it is you and your spouse like to do?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:36 PM

48 posts, read 236,775 times
Watertown is a great area. I grew up in Northern NY, an hour north of Watertown. We now live in Syracuse, we've been here for five years. I went Christmas Shopping last year at the Salmon Run Mall and I was surprised, I was out of the northcountry rythem!! People were happier, friendlier, and less rushed. I'd forgotenn how nice everyone was. Not that its Pleasentville, but people are less hurried and more inclined to smile and wave to a stranger. As for meeting people, try a local Church. Since it is a smaller area, you might have to branch out denomanationally to meet people.
Since you have only been there a month, you haven't experience summer in the North Country. Winters tend to be cold and people stay cooped up. In the summer there will be a lot more going on.
How far are you willing to drive? Take a weekend and head over the Sackets Harbor. They have a nice beach and fort over there. Then you can drive up the St. Lawrence River to Alex Bay and stop at little shops and parks along the way. You can take a boat ride over to the castle, which I love, but my folks don't think it is worth the money, so its a personal choice type of thing.
I would recommend joinning a club. What are your interests, what types of things do you guys like to do together? Snowmobiling is very popular in that area in the winter. There may be a local snowmobiling club.
Just hang in there until spring, when people start coming outside again!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:35 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,430,893 times
I lived in the North Country for one year. I also lived in the Southern Tier. Both have different types of people from where I grew up. From experience, I agree that the North Country has some of the friendliest people in all of New York State, maybe even the whole US.

michellebelle, you should try living in Downstate NY. Coming from the North Country, I believe you'll be shocked by how different the people are down there.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:06 AM

640 posts, read 2,013,169 times
Watertown actually has a lot of artists group (many live in the North Country..quietly).
You probably need to tell us what your interested in. Religious groups probably are plentiful. Lots of outdoor clubs too. The city and area is doing really well now. I never thought I'd say that in all the years we drove up there to the 1000 Isles. Its a great area if you are an outdoor enthusiast....one of the best IMO. Truly one of the most beautiful areas in the country.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 PM

48 posts, read 236,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I lived in the North Country for one year. I also lived in the Southern Tier. Both have different types of people from where I grew up. From experience, I agree that the North Country has some of the friendliest people in all of New York State, maybe even the whole US.

michellebelle, you should try living in Downstate NY. Coming from the North Country, I believe you'll be shocked by how different the people are down there.
Bella, I swear we are related. I've lived and traveled the entire state. I grew up in the North, went to college down in south western NY, spent a couple of weeks every year in Binghamton, and traveled the Adirondacks extensively as a child and we go there every summer now boating.
I have only been to NYC twice. I would like to go again but my husband refuses to go!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 AM

10 posts, read 74,445 times
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. We used to XC ski in Upper Michigan, so we thought we'd resurrect our skis and try the trails here (the extra snow came just in time). Snowmobiling is out of the question, but thanks for the suggestion. Where besides the meetup website would we find information about local groups?

I've tried searching the internet, but haven't found much. We like hiking (several miles), mountain biking, visiting the beach, walking, meeting new people, and camping. My wife is an artist (painting and illustration), and I'm into rock collecting. JiminCT, what local artist groups are there besides the Artists' Guild in Watertown?

I have to agree that people in Watertown are extremely friendly. However, the little village we're living in (I'll keep it anonymous) is very exclusive. People were whispering about our out-of-state license plates in the back of church and after two weeks only one person had introduced herself. We took matters into our own hands and introduced ourselves to the pastor. We've had a couple of strange interactions with neighbors who seem to treat us with suspicion and think we're out to get them.

We decided to drive about 15 minutes to the next city and within one week we'd met nearly everyone at the church. They were so happy to meet us. Most of them are a lot older (which is fine), but we'll probably consider looking into inter-faith groups.

I laughed when I read about people staying cooped up in the winter. We've been on several walks at night, after dark, and have noticed a conspicuous lack of lights on in all the houses we walked by. Upon closer inspection, we noticed that the only light sources were TVs!

We were thinking about driving to different locations last weekend, but the snow prevented us from going. Does anyone know which of the seaway castles are open in the winter?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 AM

770 posts, read 3,681,335 times
You can check boldt castle out, I am not sure when it is open but it has a website, google it. As far as socializing, a lot of people play in dart, softball, and bowling leagues up there. Also people belong to organizations such as Northside improvement league, vfw's, American-Italian club...there are also a great deal of churches that you should look into. Many locals go to whatever sporting events are going on, R&Bfootball, high school sports, ice arena. If you would like to know anything more, please feel free to PM me. Also try this website Watertown NY Breaking News | Newzjunky | Watertown New York | Fort Drum | Newz, Sports, Weather, Traffic, Junkie | Apartments Housing | North Country | Thousand Islands | Newspaper | Lowville Carthage Ogdensburg Potsdam it has everything you need to know or anything you need to find up there...it is a news site.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 PM

640 posts, read 2,013,169 times
Lots of artists live up there. NCPR Home Referral has a lot of events that you can meet them.
Most of the organization (really due to geography) hover around watertown. Check out
Michael Ringer's stuff. he has a studio up in the 1000 Isles and can probably give you some good info too on orgs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York