Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 09:17 PM

18 posts, read 29,726 times

Advertisements

Hello All, We are unable to come to a determination as to which school district & town combo would be best: Clarkstown (West Nyack) vs. So. Orangetown (Tappan)?
I love the feel of a community like Tappan, but it seems that Clarkstown may have the edge on the schools? West Nyack, specifically, doesn't really have a walkable town center. So I was hoping to get some opinions here.
We have 3 young children (8,6,& 4), and definitely value good schools! I'd also like to know if anyone has a sense of the music program in either district? (I appreciate when a school district puts an emphasis on the arts). We are currently renting in Putnam Co, but hoping to soon buy in 400k range. My husb. works in Bergen Co, NJ, so the commute will be better.
Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 02:11 AM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
New City, which is the county seat and within the Clarkstown SD, may be a better fit within that district, if I'm not mistaken. Nyack and surrounding communities in that district may fit, as could Suffern and Pearl River. Piermont, also in the South Orangetown SD could be another community to consider.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-22-2014 at 02:25 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 06:01 AM

19,233 posts, read 17,105,490 times
With the two localities you mentioned Clarkstown is considered the better school district. West Nyack like most areas of the county are not based on a "downtown", yes some do have a walkable main street but trust me you won't be walking Main Street in New City (for example) with 3 kids and most shopping will be a drive to location. Either locality is good and taxes will strangle you in both spots. Is there any reason you haven't considered Bergen County, there are some really nice areas and the schools are normally highly rated?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:25 PM

Thank you VA Yankee, and, yes, I have considered Bergen Co... Though the taxes in NJ 'may' be lower (that's questionable?) pretty much anything in Bergen Co is out of our price range. Real estate is higher, properties & homes are smaller... unless you have 800k, but that's not us, we're a one income fam for now! Rockland isn't too far behind though.
But if you have any good rec's I could be convinced to look some more!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 PM

@ ckhthankgod, Thanks, Clarkstown sounds good, I'm just not 100% convinced... and, btw you can't even step on the sidewalk in Piermont for 400k, lol

Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 AM

19,233 posts, read 17,105,490 times
If you are considering Clarkstown verify the assigned school district, most goes to Clarkstown schools but some areas are part of the Ramapo School District and you don't want that.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:14 PM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
This may help as well: http://www.nyssma.org/wp-content/upl...4-Best-NYS.pdf

I noticed Nyack and South Orangetown were on that list and here is the national list: 2014 BCME Results | NAMM Foundation

In terms of Nyack's school district, this may give you an idea of what's available: Nyack NY Real Estate for Sale : Weichert.com

Weichert: Realtors, Real Estate, Homes For Sale

Old 09-25-2014, 08:44 AM

62 posts, read 213,851 times
Money Magazine just rated Clarkstown the 7th best place in the country to live, for what that's worth.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 PM

Thank you all for your responses, it's such a gamble... I think NJ is just out of the running. Clarkstown sounds good, but So. Orangetown is sounding better & better. One never truly knows until you LIVE there. Any thoughts on Pearl River (town, schools, general community)? Driving through there, everything just seems so run down & dingy, though I hear it's a nice community. ??

Last edited by NYstofmind; 10-01-2014 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-03-2014, 09:35 AM

62 posts, read 213,851 times
Pearl River is indeed a nice community. It was actually my first choice when looking to move my family out of NYC, though we ultimately settled in Nanuet, the next town up from PR. We've met a number of families in PR though, and they're all very happy there. Lots of kids, very family-oriented, and sort of a "small town" feel -- e.g. when I do grocery shopping there, everywhere I look in the store there are neighbors greeting each other; when I'm visiting friends I often see neighbors on the street talking with each other, kids running around the yards from house to house -- things you don't see everywhere. I'm sure that sort of thing can vary from block to block though and within micro neighborhoods in the town.

I don't have first-hand experience with the schools, but our friends there all send their children to the public schools (which seem to be rated well) and are happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York