Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2006, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,730 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to move from Denver to take a job in Owego. I wonder if others have made this trek and what their thoughts are. Also curious as to the state of things in the area, I would have a good paying job so I think at least housing wise I could do fairly well. I'm a bit worried about the weather although I grew up in Pittsburgh so I kind of know what to expect. I would be bringing a family and would idealy like to find an older home with a bit of land, but still be close to, or in Ithaca fior the schools, culture, etc.

I hope to be visiting soon to have a look and get a better idea of what I'm in for. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 03:49 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,325,805 times
Might be kind of tough to find an older house (or any house) with a bit of land in the city of Ithaca. There are some options not too far from the city. Take a look at Danby (Ithaca school system), a small village a few miles outside of Ithaca, but on the way to Owego. My step father is from Candor originally, about halfway between Owego and Ithaca. As I recall there's quite a few nice older homes in that village.

I can't say much about Owego itself, I don't know much. My family use to pass through there on the way to Scranton all the time. I know the IBM plant closing had a devastating affect on the town. There's been a bit of refurbishing of the older homes along the main street (along the river) in the last decade or so. Kind of a compact downtown, though I don't know how it's doing.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York