Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 5,452 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have a situation where I'm an adult (left NYC years ago) and my mom and little brother (he is 10) are still living in the city, Brooklyn that is. NYC is a great place to live if you have the income and can afford it. She doesn’t and she is now realizing that it’s not worth it. The problem is that she is constantly complaining about her rent, which is 1100 and the building (mostly management) she lives in is pure crap. They don't clean often (hallways are dirty), and management is just lacking. She is basically sick of it. She talks to me about moving next year and I wanted some advice on where she can move.

• She doesn’t drive
• Location with decent public transportation
• It’s just her and my brother
• Someplace with a great school system
• Relatively safe area or reputable area
• Somewhere where she can walk her dog

I wanted to know where could she move to outside of the city or close to the city or at least somewhere with good transportation system (something that runs basically from 9-5). When I talk about relocating I mean completely, where she doesn't have to commute to the city because she might have to quit her job.

Any help is much appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 PM

715 posts, read 2,520,080 times
The "doesn't drive part" is what will make this tough...

I'd suggest somewhere in the northern Lower Hudson Valley (Orange or Dutchess Counties), but having a vehicle is a must. There are MNRR trains to NYC, but to get to the station you'd need a car.

Then there is White Plains, where you don't exactly need a car, but it would probably turn out to be more expensive then Brooklyn. The only other place I can think of Downstate where she could do okay without a car is Yonkers; however, there are some unfavorable neighborhoods to contend with...

Maybe its in her best interest to look Upstate...like to Albany or Syracuse. Both areas have good bus systems -- CDTA and Centro respectively. The cost of living would certainly be cheaper and there is good schooling to be found in and around both cities.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 AM

94,542 posts, read 125,550,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
The "doesn't drive part" is what will make this tough...

I'd suggest somewhere in the northern Lower Hudson Valley (Orange or Dutchess Counties), but having a vehicle is a must. There are MNRR trains to NYC, but to get to the station you'd need a car.

Then there is White Plains, where you don't exactly need a car, but it would probably turn out to be more expensive then Brooklyn. The only other place I can think of Downstate where she could do okay without a car is Yonkers; however, there are some unfavorable neighborhoods to contend with...

Maybe its in her best interest to look Upstate...like to Albany or Syracuse. Both areas have good bus systems -- CDTA and Centro respectively. The cost of living would certainly be cheaper and there is good schooling to be found in and around both cities.
I was thinking up here and perhaps even a city like Ithaca or even Watertown, which has CitiBus that runs from about 7 AM-7 PM may work. Places like Oswego, Auburn, Binghamton, Elmira, Utica and a few other smaller cities/towns up here have bus systems that could work as well.

Closer to NYC, perhaps a place like Nyack or maybe one of the Rivertowns in Westchester County may work, but I'm not completely sure.

Also, what kind of work would she be looking for?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-04-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 01:00 PM

Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into all your recommendations. Yeah, not driving limits her in so many ways she doesn't understand, but I can't get over her fear for her. That's why she can't come stay with me because where I live you need a car.I welcome other suggestions as well if anyone has any similar experiences.

And she would be looking for something in healthcare, medical clerk, etc... or even clerical..

Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyluna View Post
Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into all your recommendations. Yeah, not driving limits her in so many ways she doesn't understand, but I can't get over her fear for her. That's why she can't come stay with me because where I live you need a car.I welcome other suggestions as well if anyone has any similar experiences.

And she would be looking for something in healthcare, medical clerk, etc... or even clerical..
Here is a guide of hospitals throughout NY State that have websites that have job openings listed: New York State Hospital Profile

Just click on a county and it will show the hospitals there. You then click on one of them and it should have information and a website on that page. Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:21 PM

@ ckhthankgod you are the best! thanks so much for all your investigation and help!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyluna View Post
@ ckhthankgod you are the best! thanks so much for all your investigation and help!
No problem and here are the bus systems in the areas of the job openings: http://ny-watertown.civicplus.com/Do...iew.asp?DID=47

HOME PAGE

Home : TCAT Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit

Public Transportation | Broome County, NY

CENTRO is for the Syracuse area and was already mentioned by Dreamshot. I'll try to post more information later.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:19 PM

Here are some other transit systems: Home

Rochester Genesee Regional Transportation Authority

Here are more listings: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHos...69_5119&GQId=0

Apply Online - Buffalo, NY - Catholic Health

https://www.roswellpark.org/careers/...secretary-3061
https://www.roswellpark.org/careers/...istrative-2985

https://www.healthcaresource.com/ecm...&ijobcatid=101

Careers - United Memorial Medical Center

Job Opportunities

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-06-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York