Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:49 PM

403 posts, read 771,002 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I just came back from a trip in the Watkin's Glen area and absolutely LOVED it. I know we were only there for 4 days and only saw a bit of it (didn't get out of the Seneca Lake region), but I loved the quaint feel of Watkin's Glen, Penn Yan, and even Geneva. I've heard many other areas are equally as charming. We are at a point right now where we are not exactly thrilled with where we are living, and are starting to consider a move. There is nothing to do where we are at and crime is really on the rise. My husband has a job as an electronics worker right now, I have been a stay at home mom for many years, but have an old degree, which I have slowly been updating in medical office assistance. We also have a daughter who will be going into 10th grade. I would be willing to work just about anywhere to be able to live in an area like that, so I certainly wouldn't have to find a medical office. My husband is a bit concerned with the winters, although we have awful winters where we are now, so even a small improvement would be nice! It definitely seems like an affordable area, but I'm not sure how plentiful the jobs are, how good the schools are, or how horrendously awful the winters are. Also, are there better areas near the other lakes? I really prefer the small town feel as opposed to total rural living. Thanks for any info anyone has!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Skaneateles, Seneca Falls, Waterloo, Union Springs, Aurora, Trumansburg, Geneseo, Lansing, Naples and maybe even Canandaigua are worth a look. Out of the places listed, Skaneateles probably has the "best" schools and is probably the most affluent.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM

385 posts, read 1,175,466 times
i've been up there a few times, i have family who own a home near corning. jobs are low up there. corning glass, a major employer in stueben county continues to fire more and more people. salt is a small industry in watkins glen, but still, jobs are limited. yes the area is nice, i like watkins glen, hammondsport, and the windmill in dundee, but i couldn't imagine living there. the closest big city is toronto, followed by nyc. this is upstate ny, the middle of nowhere. if i where you, i'd consider having a home up there, but don't count on employment.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slope95 View Post
i've been up there a few times, i have family who own a home near corning. jobs are low up there. corning glass, a major employer in stueben county continues to fire more and more people. salt is a small industry in watkins glen, but still, jobs are limited. yes the area is nice, i like watkins glen, hammondsport, and the windmill in dundee, but i couldn't imagine living there. the closest big city is toronto, followed by nyc. this is upstate ny, the middle of nowhere. if i where you, i'd consider having a home up there, but don't count on employment.
You can find employment in Syracuse, Rochester and maybe even Ithaca. There are other parts of the Finger Lakes that would fit what the OP wants and puts them close enough to the major Upstate NY cities.

OP, here are some possibilities in terms of employment for your husband: Electronics Technician jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Electronics Technician jobs in Rochester NY - Indeed Mobile

Electronics Technician jobs in Ithaca NY - Indeed Mobile

Here are some jobs you may be interested in as well: medical office jobs in Rochester NY - Indeed Mobile

medical office jobs in Syracuse NY - Indeed Mobile

medical office jobs in Ithaca NY - Indeed Mobile

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-07-2013 at 07:16 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 AM

Thank you for your input. Does anyone know if there are any schools to avoid? Also, I've heard about the lake effect snow. Does this affect the southern side of the lakes as well?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
Thank you for your input. Does anyone know if there are any schools to avoid? Also, I've heard about the lake effect snow. Does this affect the southern side of the lakes as well?
While there are schools with a better reputation than others, there aren't any terrible or hopeless school districts in the Finger Lakes.

As for the lake effect snow, I believe that in certain cases, you can get lake effect off of certain lakes. This was told to me by someone that grew up in the Trumansburg area northwest of Ithaca.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 AM

254 posts, read 436,275 times
Lake effect is mostly from the Great Lakes, north of the thruway. Skaneateles is beautiful. You'd be able to commute for work to Syracuse. The Ithaca area is beautiful as well. 2 colleges in the area and one a bit north in Wells offer job opportunities I would think. It's a beautiful area of NY.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 PM

I'm wondering if Ithaca would have a less harsh winter....my husband said he just heard that the area is about 20 degrees colder than here in NEPA during the winter.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
I'm wondering if Ithaca would have a less harsh winter....my husband said he just heard that the area is about 20 degrees colder than here in NEPA during the winter.
Where in NEPA are you located? Here's what I could find for Ithaca and Scranton: Meoweather | Ithaca weather history. Ithaca average weather by month. Weather history for Ithaca, New York, United States

Meoweather | Scranton weather history. Scranton average weather by month. Weather history for Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States

Here is information for other communities in the Finger Lakes: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 07:01 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 06:45 AM

Thank you so much, ckhthankgod....that is a very helpful site. Unfortunately, my husband will not like those numbers! We are about an hour south of Scranton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York