Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 PM

402 posts, read 812,295 times

Advertisements

Most of the centralized downtown area's in the metro outside of the city (atleast in Lower Hudson area) have at the least a ghetto element... Maybe Cold Spring is the exception and Warwick, two that I can think off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 AM

93,567 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Most of the centralized downtown area's in the metro outside of the city (atleast in Lower Hudson area) have at the least a ghetto element... Maybe Cold Spring is the exception and Warwick, two that I can think off.
What about the Rivertowns in Westchester County?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:32 PM

15 posts, read 62,762 times
Default Re: River towns

True, ck. I have been looking into Peekskill but I am getting really mixed reviews about the town. Ossining would be cool but it seems like it's out of our price range (looking to spend $1500/month in rent with a dog).

One good thing is that my parents are able to drive over there this weekend to check out the area, so we are going to give them a list of places so they can visit/take pictures. Right now I am thinking of having them take a look at:

• Peekskill
  • Stony Point
  • Highland Falls
  • Monroe/Harriman
  • Washingtonville
  • Cornwall
I will try to post the photos here for other readers assuming they get some good ones!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM

211 posts, read 431,664 times
I would say Cornwall or High land Falls because lots of people that work in West Point live there and you will get more bang for your buck as well. Stony Point is a good option as well but a little more pricey and I don't care for Monroe/Harriman (also no where near the river) area and definitely not most of Peekskill but to each their own. Good luck with your move

Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 AM

15 posts, read 62,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakas80 View Post
I would say Cornwall or High land Falls because lots of people that work in West Point live there and you will get more bang for your buck as well. Stony Point is a good option as well but a little more pricey and I don't care for Monroe/Harriman (also no where near the river) area and definitely not most of Peekskill but to each their own. Good luck with your move
Thanks! I think the main issue is that I am trying to keep NYC open as a possibility for work, so we are hoping to live somewhere that isn't too horrible of a commute either way (not abnormally far from the city or WP). If I end up being able to find work further north of the city, then I think we would definitely end up choosing/moving to the areas you mentioned...they seem nice.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about the Rivertowns in Westchester County?
Ok for the "river towns" with any decent size downtown area in Westchester you have Yonkers, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Ossining, and Peekskill... All of which have atleast a small ghetto area.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 PM

On the other side of the river it is the same story pretty much except you have Piermont with no ghetto area, but Piermont is especially small population and size wise, and you have Stony Point which does not contain a walkable downtown.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 AM

27 posts, read 178,087 times
Welcome! I live on West Point, so if you have any questions, just let me know. I wouldn't recommend living too far from West Point, as the commute can be quite unpleasant during adverse weather. I don't know if you're boyfriend is military or not, but many positions are considered key and essential personnel and you have to live within a certain distance of the base. I really like the Monroe area, It has a wonderful park near downtown with walking/jogging paths and there are always friendly people out and about. It also has some nice restaurants and Woodbury has the big outlet mall. It's also a nice easy drive to Middletown, which we frequent for our Olive Garden addiction, lol. Good luck and again, welcome!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 AM

93,567 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Ok for the "river towns" with any decent size downtown area in Westchester you have Yonkers, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Ossining, and Peekskill... All of which have atleast a small ghetto area.
What about Ardsley, Irvington, Hastings and Croton?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM

I see yes those don't have ghettos that I know of, all relatively small populations btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York