Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,824,740 times

Advertisements

Your thoughts?

NY to Add 300 Hours to Public School Year | wgrz.com

Quote:
Right now, the only district in New York State taking part is the Rochester City Schools.

The three-year pilot program will affect almost 20,000 students in 40 schools, with long-term hopes of expanding the program to include additional schools - especially those that serve low-income communities. Schools, working in concert with districts, parents and teachers, will decide whether to make the school day longer, add more days to the school year or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,287,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

I honestly think there's too much time off from school. As a kid, I don't remember being off for a week in February for winter break. We were off Presidents' Day, that's it. In our school district there are days when there is no school due to the superintendents' meetings. I see no reason why the schools need to be closed. Not sure how they'll swing 300 hours though. I guess another way is to start school before Labor Day and just close the schools on Labor Day. Between all the religious observances, holidays and meetings they can find days to scale back and add the hours to the school year. The article mentions longer hours but I think spending more than 6 hrs in a classroom won't be positive.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM

275 posts, read 796,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
The article mentions longer hours but I think spending more than 6 hrs in a classroom won't be positive.
Why not? When they get out of school, they'll be expected to spend at least 8 hours/day somewhere.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,287,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
Why not? When they get out of school, they'll be expected to spend at least 8 hours/day somewhere.
How can you compare child with an adult working a fulltime job?

Do you have kids? Many kids already have problems focusing and have learning disabilities. The answer isn't making the school day 8 hrs. My daughter comes home with at least 2 hrs of homework and that's aside from studying and required reading. Children need to be children too and activities or playing on sports teams shouldn't be taken away from them. I know quite a number of teachers and B of Ed employees--they're contracted to work a certain amount of hours. If extending school, whether it be by extending the school year, week or day, we can expect to see people griping and wanting more pay. I'm already hearing teachers and administrators complaining about possibly losing time in February due to the school closures from the hurricane. Unnecessary days off is one way to increase classroom time.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 AM

The President mentions that our school calendars reflect our nation's agrarian roots. Children went to school and came home to work on the farm. The concept of the childhood we know is a fairly recent invention.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I honestly think there's too much time off from school. As a kid, I don't remember being off for a week in February for winter break. We were off Presidents' Day, that's it. In our school district there are days when there is no school due to the superintendents' meetings. I see no reason why the schools need to be closed. Not sure how they'll swing 300 hours though. I guess another way is to start school before Labor Day and just close the schools on Labor Day. Between all the religious observances, holidays and meetings they can find days to scale back and add the hours to the school year. The article mentions longer hours but I think spending more than 6 hrs in a classroom won't be positive.

February break came about during the oil crisis in the early 70's. Cheaper to close school and save on fuel that week.

Our calendar allows for 180 instructional days. There are 365 days in a year

365-180 = 185
185 - 5 major holidays = 180
180 - 104 Sat & Sun = 76

76 days available that the school districts allot for summer, winter, spring break and sundry other reasons.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM

19,340 posts, read 17,256,396 times
Quote:
The mid-winter recess started in the 70's and was created due to the fuel shortages. The idea was to clsoe the schools during the "historically" coldest week of winter.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM

19,340 posts, read 17,256,396 times
Are they really going to be adding constructive education time? Will the unions be resonable when the contracts are re-negotiated? A lot of questions along with parents who feel the urgency to have their child enrolled in at least 3 after school activities and enrichment classes...

Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,022,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Just as long as they don't pay the already well-compensated teachers a dime more. As it is, they have way too much vacation time on their hands.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,022,774 times
Quote:
How can you compare child with an adult working a fulltime job?

Do you have kids? Many kids already have problems focusing and have learning disabilities. The answer isn't making the school day 8 hrs. My daughter comes home with at least 2 hrs of homework and that's aside from studying and required reading. Children need to be children too and activities or playing on sports teams shouldn't be taken away from them. I know quite a number of teachers and B of Ed employees--they're contracted to work a certain amount of hours. If extending school, whether it be by extending the school year, week or day, we can expect to see people griping and wanting more pay. I'm already hearing teachers and administrators complaining about possibly losing time in February due to the school closures from the hurricane. Unnecessary days off is one way to increase classroom time.
Let'em gripe, we have 9% unemployment and loads of recent unemployed education graduates by the dozens just chomping at the bit for a chance to show their superior teaching skills. Go to any of the local colleges, you can pick them up by the truck load and for 1/2 price to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: