Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,814,098 times

Advertisements

To me the harder "blue" counties to explain are Cayuga and Seneca. I remember hearing that Cayuga was considered a bellwether county, but Seneca is whiter and rural-er than neighboring "red" Ontario County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 PM

97 posts, read 201,609 times
If you don't mind living in the boondocks with epic winters (think 20 below), you might want to look into Hamilton and Herkimer counties in the Adirondacks. I grew up in the Old Forge-Inlet area and it's definitely red state material.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 13,680 times
Yeah, Hamilton County's the most Republican in the state. It's the only one in the North Country that Paladino carried; I think it's the only county that Schumer consistently loses, too.

Thing is though, even a lot of parts of upstate New York that vote Democratic aren't as in-your-face socially liberal as some parts of NYC can feel. It's more of a live-and-let-live vibe. I know plenty of religious, socially conservative people who live in majority-Democratic areas up here, and they don't seem to feel out of place. Cities like Middletown, Schenectady, Troy, Utica, Buffalo, might vote Democratic, but they're also pretty Catholic.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 13,680 times
Close to the city, you might want to look at Orange County. Obama barely carried it in 2008; I think Bush carried it in '04, and I think there's still a Republican voter registration edge on paper. Some of the central/southern towns, like Washingtonville and Warwick, have high concentrations of New York police and firefighters, who tend to be conservative socially from my experience. Port Jervis is pretty Republican, but that might be getting a bit far from NYC for you. Middletown's majority Democratic, but it's not terribly liberal either.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:25 PM

796 posts, read 1,761,077 times
Garden City and many other wealthy Nassau County locales are quite conservative.

How Long Island voted - Results By Election District - Newsday.com

Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,117,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Garden City and many other wealthy Nassau County locales are quite conservative.
Generally wealthy + conservative means fiscally conservative, but I wouldn't call it so indicative of social conservatism.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,012,986 times
The hudson valley used to be red..but no more... Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess, Orange, Sullivan & Ulster...all blue in the 2012 & 2008 presidential elections. Reason being is that a lot of commies from NYC move up here so they can screw the hudson valley up too. However, my election district, which probably encompasses maybe 1/4 of my town..went "red". If u want cinservative, i suggest you go further upstate like finger lakes region or North Country..and forget about Long Island..i guess they like paying the highest property taxes in the nation..

Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 AM

341 posts, read 685,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'm surprised there is so much red (by county) I would have thought the whole state was blue card carrying liberals...

Just kidding...
The counties that are red tend to be large, sparsely populated, rural areas. As it tends to be throughout the nation.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 AM

341 posts, read 685,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
To me the harder "blue" counties to explain are Cayuga and Seneca. I remember hearing that Cayuga was considered a bellwether county, but Seneca is whiter and rural-er than neighboring "red" Ontario County.
Seneca has a large native population, and they have been burned badly by "conservatives" a number of times.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,832,890 times
That map is -- like the state -- overpowered by the cities in a county. If you look up the NEW 27th Congressional district of NY, Chris Collins won - if not by much, but Hochul simply conceded - and it is a large part of Erie County and some of Niagara, as well as counties which appear red going east. Look up all the Congressional districts. In Western NY, only Slaughter ( right around Rochester) and Higgins ( right around Buffalo) actually went blue. This makes it appear as if all of the areas in these counties did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York