Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 15,600 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from El Cajon, California to Cohocton NY, and would like some insight into the area. My husband is a drywall contrator here and specializes in repair work would there be a need for that in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:51 AM

78 posts, read 376,584 times
Wow - Cohocton, NY? As in Western New York south of Rochester? I don't anything about El Cajoh, CA but I do know about Cohocton as I live approx 20 miles from there. Cohocton is simply a rural town with no industry, or real retail presence or anything really except potato farmers. There is a pretty church on the outskirts of town. It is tiny. I don't know the population but I wouldn't think more than 700 people. The main street is very depressed (aka again no real retail presence other than a furniture store).
The highlight of the town probably is their soccer field. And they have a beautiful fall festival this time of year. I am curious as to why Cohocton? 10 miles away you would get the scenic town of Naples in Ontario County - very beautiful, some historic houses, a grocery store and other "necessity" retail. You will find real estate to be very cheap in Cohocton (again because there is not much there). It does have good proximity to an interstate and commuting to Rochester wouldn't be too much of a hassle (probably an hour or so). Positive things I can think of? Real estate is cheap. The pace is slow. The scenery is pretty (but there's a lot prettier scenier very near in other towns). No traffic problems. Negatives? Very very rural. No shopping. No industry. No nightlife. No movies. No grocery store. No vibrant economy.

As far as drywalling contractor work - sure there's lots of development (although it has slowed considerably) in Rochester. Maybe commute to Corning? Not a bad place - decent size city. Right around Cohocton I wouldn't bet on much work.

I hope this is helpful - let me know if you have other questions.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 15,600 times
Thanks alot it was very helpful.
We actually were looking for a very small place and the price of houses was a huge factor so Cohocton sounded just right.
El Cajon is 15 miles east of San Diego.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:03 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,747 times
Just an FYI are you aware of the large commercial wind energy development project now underway (without the proper permits mind you). The wind turbines will be over 425ft tall, larger than the statue of Liberty, visible for over 10 miles, and audible up to two miles or more.

Here are a couple links to what Cohocton will look like and ongoing construction now in progress.

Might be worth looking into if you are expecting a place with nice views.

www.windaction.org | Work to start on wind projects; Windmill work will begin today in northern Steuben County

"COHOCTON -- Construction is scheduled to begin today on the Cohocton Wind and Dutch Hill windmill projects in the northern Steuben County town of Cohocton."

www.windaction.org | Simulation: Cohocton (NY)

www.windaction.org | Cohocton NY wind site (2)

www.windaction.org | Cohocton NY wind site (1)

www.windaction.org | Cohocton NY wind site (3)

www.windaction.org | Cohocton NY wind site (4)

Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,100 times
Dont be discouraged, there is always something to do if you area creative person and enjoy nature. We moved to Dansville, NY from South Florida and have been quite entertained by the history, local attractions and festivals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York