Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM

325 posts, read 583,141 times

Advertisements

I always thought I'd relocate and retire in North central Pa. I just love the area. Tioga, Potters etc. With all the drilling going on out there, I might reconsider. I've seen a big change in the Wellsboro area and I don't like it.
I don't know anything about New York State. How would it compare to the PA. I knew? Any recomendations on any specific areas near the PA border? How are the taxes? Cost of living? Since I liked the area surrounding Wellsboro, what would appeal to me across the border in NY?
I hope I get some advice here, my wife and I would like to explore some areas this fall.
I posted same in the PA forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,799,627 times
I'm pretty familiar with both sides of the line for a ways, but I answered first your post in the PA forum.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM

93,559 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Maybe places like Corning, Watkins Glen, Owego, Trumansburg, Bath, Horseheads, etc. Cost of living is probably not that much different from the area of PA that you are interested in, but that is just a guess on my part.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,841,421 times
Where you from right now Chuck?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Rural Sussex county, northwest NJ. It's great here, but the road is getting too busy and the taxes too high. I have too much property now and I'm looking to sell and downsize.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM

69 posts, read 147,533 times
Taxes are higher in NYS. I am pretty sure that PA does not tax 401K withdraws or Social Security. PA would be more attractive to me if I didn't have so much family living in NYS.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinjersey View Post
Taxes are higher in NYS. I am pretty sure that PA does not tax 401K withdraws or Social Security. PA would be more attractive to me if I didn't have so much family living in NYS.
Property tax rates are higher in NY vs. NJ? Tax rates are high, but that is due to lower housing prices. Here is the trusty tax website that I always post for threads like this: Taxes by State: New York to Wyoming

Taxes by State: Kansas to New Mexico

Here's a property tax rate list for real property that is a few years old or so: Table: Who Pays America's Highest Property Taxes? - Forbes.com

That list accounts for 25% of the counties in the US, but holds 80% of the population.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-03-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Gonna bookmark those links ckhthankgod, thanks.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 AM

655 posts, read 2,329,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
I always thought I'd relocate and retire in North central Pa. I just love the area. Tioga, Potters etc. With all the drilling going on out there, I might reconsider. I've seen a big change in the Wellsboro area and I don't like it.
I don't know anything about New York State. How would it compare to the PA. I knew? Any recomendations on any specific areas near the PA border? How are the taxes? Cost of living? Since I liked the area surrounding Wellsboro, what would appeal to me across the border in NY?
I hope I get some advice here, my wife and I would like to explore some areas this fall.
I posted same in the PA forum.
Hello chuck & wife,

In some of the NYS "Southern Tier" Counties along the Pennsylvania border have Natural Gas extraction currently going-on. I have a friend who has 70 acres of land outside Horseheads-NY and the gas companies long ago installed wells on his property. I imagine the same thing is going-on in other parts of the "Southern Tier". In general, I don't think there will be Natural Gas extraction NORTH of these counties: Delaware, Broome, Tioga, Schuyler, Steuben, Allegany, Cattaraugus, & Chautauqua. City-Data Members living in the "Southern Tier" counties may have a more definite answer about Natural Gas extraction in their areas than I have available to me.

As for a NY State area like Wellsboro-PA, I can not comment because I've never been to Wellsboro.

I can tell you though that many Amish people have been moving to less expensive (than PA.) areas here in NYS to run farms etc. Many have moved to Lewis, St. Lawrence, parts of Oswego Counties and I know there are Amish who have also moved to counties near Penn Yan, Dundee, Bath, Cohocton, Canaseraga, Dansville = that larger region of NYS.

I don't know how well you can "handle" winter snowfall and cold but if you are used to winter conditions then you should be okay in NYS. The heaviest snowfall in New York State falls on/across the land 40-60 miles off both Lake Erie and Lake Ontario; maybe a little less inland off the SOUTH SHORE of Lake Ontario. This is because the winds much of the time blow out of the west and northwest across the lakes, picking-up lake moisture and dumping resulting snow on the land.

If you are looking for the lowest property taxes, I would suggest that you look for property in rural areas 50-60 miles away from towns/cities the size of 30,000 population and where there is a school district with a small student-population; school taxes are worse than town & county taxes anywhere near a sizeable city. If you are retired, HIGH taxes for school districts is money down the drain for you; you will still be paying school taxes, they'll just be lower in some rural areas; also senior citizens receive an additional property tax deduction on their school taxes. Real estate agents can tell you the current property taxes on any particular property that you might look at.

I don't know how close you want to live near to a sizeable city but I'm going to list some specific NYS areas that you and your wife may want to spend several days driving around to see how well those areas might fit what you are looking for. Rent motel rooms in the different NYS areas for 2-3 nights and drive around the various NYS areas BEFORE the colder Autumn temperatures arrive to stay for winter.

The Cost of Living might be less expensive out in the countryside just outside the villages rather than property IN the villages. The Cost of Living here is rated reasonable and the Quality of Life/Living is rated Good in Upstate New York AND Upstate has been rated a Good Place to Retire but you must consider whether or not you can "handle" winter weather. The Spring, Summer, & Autumn seasons are nice. Lasting snowfall starts about December 15th until Mid-March with some weather breaks during the winter.

Get out your New York State road map to find the following locations.

Areas>>>

1.) Lewis County. Nice rural valley & countryside area: the Black River(Valley)/Moose River/Beaver River areas including Boonville, Port Leyden, Lyons Falls, Glenfield, Greig, Brantingham Lake, Chase Lake, Watson, New Bremen, Beaver Falls, Croghan, Indian River, & Castorland. >>Villages/Townships like Barnes Corners, Montague, Osceola, Highmarket, Martinsburg, Houseville, Turin, Constableville, & West Leyden even though in the same general area, receive a lot more snowfall than the previous above listed places.

2.) Cortland County. Nice rural valley & countryside areas around & near Interstate 81 including: Tully, Apulia, Preble, Scott, Little York, Homer, McGraw, Freetown, Marathon, McLean, Dryden, Freeville, Groton, Locke, & Genoa.

3.) Chenango County. The rural areas around and along State Route 12 including: Sherburne, North Norwich, Norwich, Oxford, & Greene.

4.) Chenango/Otsego Counties border. Rural areas in this Unadilla River Valley, State Route 8 area including: Clayville, Cassville, Bridgewater, Leonardsville, Brookfield, West Edmeston, Edmeston, New Berlin, South New Berlin, Gilbertsville, Holmesville, Mount Upton, & Guilford.

5.) Otsego County. The rural areas along and around Interstate 88 including: Otego, Franklin, Laurens, Milford Center, Milford, Maryland, Schenevus, Worcester, & East Worcester.

6.) St. Lawrence County. Hammond, Black Lake, Richville, DeKalb, DeKalb Junction, Rensselaer Falls, Heuvelton, Hermon, Russell, Pyrites, Lisbon, & Madrid. Also: Winthrop, Brasher Falls, Stockholm, Hopkinton, Parishville, South Colton, Colton, Pierrepont, & Hannawa Falls.

7.) Also check out rural areas in these following counties: northern 1/2 of Steuben, northern 1/2 of Allegany, northern 1/2 of Cattaraugus, and rural areas of: Wyoming, Livingston, Ontario, & Yates Counties.

I know that you could/can find a nice area in New York State where you would enjoy/like living if you do adequate in-depth research BEFORE you select any final location. Good luck to you.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 10-04-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
Gonna bookmark those links ckhthankgod, thanks.
Here is another good website: Property tax exemptions

and another website: Oil and Gas - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York