Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,257 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am thinking about moving from Long island upstate to Ithaca.I've lived in Colorado (which i loved) the past few years but it was too hard to be so far away from my enitre family.. I am a teacher, so I will substitute teach for work this year. I am worried that Ithaca will be too "small" town for me. I love nature and hiking and hate the expensive/clutteredness of long island. Any other long islanders moved to Ithaca that can give any advice? Anyone know any other websites for apartments besides Craigslist?
Thanks So much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
If you're from LI, Ithaca may be a bit too small, but then again, Syracuse is like right next door so it probably won't be that bad. As far as nature goes, the Ithaca area really does have a lot to offer with a nice, walkable downtown. If you've lived in CO, I don't think you'll have that bad of a time in the Ithaca area. Have you visited?

Old 09-11-2012, 01:22 PM

655 posts, read 2,329,017 times
Default Ithaca NY & Saratoga Springs NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn.zzzz View Post
Hi all,
I am thinking about moving from Long island upstate to Ithaca.I've lived in Colorado (which i loved) the past few years but it was too hard to be so far away from my enitre family.. I am a teacher, so I will substitute teach for work this year. I am worried that Ithaca will be too "small" town for me. I love nature and hiking and hate the expensive/clutteredness of long island. Any other long islanders moved to Ithaca that can give any advice? Anyone know any other websites for apartments besides Craigslist?
Thanks So much!
Hello Lyn,

There are 2 Upstate New York small cities that are my favorites; Ithaca NY and Saratoga Springs NY. They both are nice but somewhat different from one another.

Ithaca NY (& adjacent villages of Cayuga Heights & Lansing NY). Ithaca, located at the south end of Cayuga Lake, is very much a college town; Cornell University & Ithaca College=together about 26,300 students. Also nearby Tompkins-Cortland Community College at Dryden and Cortland SUNY College at Cortland NY. Most people consider Ithaca to be "liberal"; I just think it is the way everywhere should be. The "liberal" label I guess is because of all the progressive professors & teachers, Women's private personal decisions respected, and the acceptance of Gay people. The countryside areas surrounding Ithaca are more conservative. Ithaca is a little more expensive than surrounding areas; more expensive than cities like Syracuse and Binghamton. Housing of all types can be difficult to find especially when the colleges are in session. I do not consider Ithaca to necessarily be Upscale, although lakeside and lakeview homes & housing can be quite Upscale and expensive=depending. The Ithaca & Finger Lakes Region is beautiful and scenic. Ithaca might be thought of as being a little small and maybe isolated=Small villages nearby, Cortland is a nearby small city of about 19,000 pop.` The closest large and major regional city is Syracuse=northward, Binghamton (smaller than Syr.) is located southward. There is no AmTRAK Train service at Ithaca; you must leave from Syracuse. There are numerous state & local public parks/waterfalls/hiking trails/areas in the Ithaca area=the motto, "Ithaca is Gorges". At a little distance is the Finger Lakes National Forest. If you have further questions about Ithaca, I'd be glad to try to answer them.

Ithaca NY
... www.cayugalake.org/images/gallery/CLSEND00.jpg
... www.cornell.edu/visiting/ithaca/

Saratoga Springs NY, (& nearby Glens Falls & Lake George NY). Saratoga Springs is a more refined and Upscale small city than most small cities; known from the revolutionary war period, and its natural mineral water hotel spas, horse racing, and now the summer home of the NY City Ballet Company and the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra, beautifully restored classic homes and buildings, active and vibrant nice downtown boutiques-art shops-restaurants-businesses, Saratoga Lake is here. Many people call the city simply=Saratoga. This is not a "college town" to the extent of Ithaca. Saratoga Springs does not have an isolated feeling since it is located nearby several villages, the small city of Glens Falls & Lake George summer resort=northward; plus the Capital District cities/suburbs. There may be more teacher's jobs in this region because of the larger regional populations and larger school districts. The Adirondack Mountains/Lakes/Hiking/Skiing are a short drive northward. Saratoga could possibly be a good fit for you in addition to possibly Ithaca. Saratoga is more expensive than Ithaca. There are many events-things to do throughout the year. There is AmTRAK Train service at Saratoga (& Albany) southward to NY City and northward to Canada-Montreal. If you have additional questions about Saratoga, feel free to ask.

Saratoga Springs NY.
... http://www.smalltowngems.com/browset...snyphotos.html
... www.saratoga.com/fall/
... www.spac.org/

Glens Falls NY.
... http://visit.cityofglensfalls.com/thingstodo/

Lake George NY Summer Resort
... www.lakegeorgeguide.com/regional-area-info/

New York State
... http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworl...w_york_map.htm

OVERALL Cost Of Living Figures (Sept 2012)>>

U.S. National Figure ................ 100
New York City ........................ 159
Syracuse ................................ 87
Rochester ............................... 84
Albany .................................. 106
Ithaca ................................... 100
Saratoga Springs .................... 120

Good luck to you.

grdnrman

Old 09-11-2012, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 13,257 times
Wow, thanks so much for all this information ! I really appriciate it! I did visit Ithaca last week and liked it!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
If you like to hike, do outdoor things, canoe/kayak.....Ithaca is the place to be! Their slogan is "Ithaca is Gorges." Yup, a play on gorgeous. There's about a million waterfalls and parks there. Ok so a million might be a slight exaggeration, but there are a ton there and locally. Watkins Glen State Park isn't far away and holy moly is it awesome. Oh and then there's those little Finger Lakes with about a billion things to see and do. I'm rounding again, but it might actually be over a billion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York