Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 06:51 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,807,370 times

Advertisements

Apart from watching Gangs of New York I dont know much about the place from the past so thought Id have a look and found this.. Five Points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 AM

43,767 posts, read 44,538,330 times
If you are interesting NY State history I suggest you visit the NY Historical Society Museum in NYC.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,602,756 times
May I suggest a good book to read for a good general overview of the city's history...The Restless City: A Short History of New York from Colonial Times to the Present by Joanne R. Reitano (2010). I read it last year and it was a fascinating historical narrative of the major events in the city's history. Much emphasis is put on conflict and social friction, so if you were really interested in the Old Five Corners neighborhood, this is the book to read! It is easily available in many bookstores in the area and on amazon.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:17 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Also, if you want to go further back to the Dutch colony of Nieuw Amsterdam, I recommend The Island At The Center Of The World by Russell Shorto.

The Island at the Center of the World

Old 09-02-2012, 08:42 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,848,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Apart from watching Gangs of New York
Hahahaha when I saw that I did a half laugh/half face palm.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 AM

655 posts, read 2,330,510 times
Default ? New York State ? New York City ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Apart from watching Gangs of New York I dont know much about the place from the past so thought Id have a look and found this.. Five Points
Hello dizzybint,

From your statement above, I guess you are referring to New York CITY rather than New York STATE. You do know that the biggest part of "New York" is New York State, right? NY City has the largest population but the remainder of NY State has the big landmass/territory with lots of large & small cities-villages-hamlets-rural countryside areas all with their own unique and interesting histories which happened over the last 400 years.

Here is present day New York State ~ Year 2012

Overall Map New York State, Cities-Highways-Lakes-Rivers ~ (A lot of villages/hamlets not shown on this map)
... http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworl...w_york_map.htm
Click on the NAMES-on-the-MAP of States & Provinces surrounding NY State to see those states.

New York STATE has lots of History!

That history includes the "ownership" by Native American Indians of New York State, the 6 New England States, Pennsylvania, New Jersey & other States. The Native American Indians had organized "territories/nations" and loose federations. Then the Europeans started settling in all these States; the Dutch, British, French; the Spanish farther south. Then at a certain point over a period of time, wars developed among the Dutch-British-French-Indians for control of this "newly discovered" America. Ultimately the various battles/wars led to the Independence of the 13 original states of America. There were even disagreements among the new 13 States as to how much territory each State claimed - owned as part of "THEIR" State. Click on the Link Lines below to see Maps of land divisions and claims.

Below, on the Northeastern U.S. states map, are shown Native American Indian "nations" Names on the individual territories in which they lived (like Scotland/England/Wales) and also the loose separate "Iroquois" and "Algonquian" territories Federations. I live in the territory marked Onondaga (Indians).

Native American Indian Organized Territories
... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ea...ericans_NY.svg

On the map below, you will see present day New York State during Colonial Times. Parts of (now) New York State were claimed by: New France[Quebec-Canada], Massachusetts, & Pennsylvania. New York State claimed: Vermont, part of western Massachusetts, the southern part of Ontario-Canada, most of Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, & West Virginia. Both NY State & New Hampshire claimed Vermont. Maine belonged to Massachusetts. Massachusetts claimed part of western NY State, a slice of Michigan, & a slice of Wisconsin. Connecticut claimed a slice of Ohio, Indiana, & Illinois. Virginia claimed: West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, & Michigan.

Colony (Province) of New York & the Other Colonies ~ Years 1664 - 1777
... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nycolony.png

States Land Claims After Independence From Britain ~ Years 1783 - 1803
... http://usgenmap.rootsweb.ancestry.com/us1783.htm

United States & the Louisiana Purchase from France ~ Years 1804 - 1823
... http://usgenmap.rootsweb.ancestry.com/us1804.htm

There is a large landmass/territory north of New York CITY and that landmass of New York STATE has volumns of varying and interesting History.

grdnrman

Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York